Christmas/Constitution Day

cranky laowai wrote: “…(I had to go there anyway for something else, but how’s that for a pathetic way to spend Christmas?) …”

It is not Christmas here in Taiwan. You knew that when you signed on the dotted line and moved here to work and play and marry and beget children. So why complain, … as in the word “pathetic”?

Do you really expect the entire universe to observe your sacred holidays?

:?
Ease up, formosa. I was making a self-disparaging remark, not complaining in any way about Taiwan or life, the universe, and everything.

[color=green]Approximately 3.5% to 4.5% of the population as a whole and 70% of aborigines are Christians. So it’s Christmas for them at least, and anyone else who feels like celebrating it. Previous R.O.C. presidents Sun Yat-Sen, Chiang Kai-Shek, Chiang Ching-Kuo and Lee Teng-Hui were all Christians.

Until recently, 25 December was a national holiday (Constitution Day.) The holiday was abolished by the DPP administration.[/color]

[quote=“Juba”]
Until recently, 25 December was a national holiday (Constitution Day.) The holiday was abolished by the DPP administration.[/quote]

Well, we need a Christian president, I guess.

Yes, under great pressure from protesting laborers and pighead bosses complaining that the shortening of the working week to five days was depriving them of time they could be hard at it :unamused:
Wonder who paid for the demos?

Check out the little graphic that symbolizes “The Constitution”. It looks like the standard rental contract in Taiwan … Pretty much what it is actually, at least the significance and enforcement part of it. No wonder “Constitution Day” was thrown out the window.

I guess sufficient freedom of religion to celebrate the most important day in the calendar of the world’s largest religion is simply too much to ask for in Taiwan.

crankylaowai wrote: “Ease up, formosa. I was making a self-disparaging remark, not complaining in any way about Taiwan or life, the universe, and everything.”

Eased up, Cranky. I need those reminders now and then. SMILE.

Speaking of Douglas Adams, life, the universe and everything, or was that Monty Python … it WAS a pretty pathetic way to celebrate Christmas, I agree. Why can’t Taiwan … get with the program?

Just watch: 2004 and Soong Ma comes into power, KMT triumphant, Constitution Day becomes a holiday once again and Christmas is a day off for everyone, believers and nun-believers alike. That’s fair.

At ease, sir! I was a bit on the hungover side that day, sorry there. Now what about New Year’s Day, is that a holiday here or what? And when does the year 92 begin in Taiwan? January 1 or on Chinese New Year’s Day?

Personally, I like the Mayan 5200 year cycle best. World will end in 2012 they say over there in Mexico way.

Christmas as an official holiday in Asia:

China and Japan-No

The Philippines, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore-Yes

Indonesia-some states yes, some no

Other Asian countries I’m not sure and it’s too late too scour the net.