Christmastide in Taiwan

Christmas Eve in Wanjin (萬金) in Pingdong County is the best of Christmas in Taiwan. A historic church, Christmas lights and decorations, homemade creche displays, religious processions and a substantial night market. A very unique experience.

2 Likes

Read it again . I don’t know what is he on about. Something race something sensitive something. Just completely irrelevant. Chrstmas in Taiwan has always been shit , even the local Christians leave Taiwan at Christmas/NY if they can for a holiday (same as CNY these days too) . Shoppers go to Japan or Hong Kong.

It is not a secret MANY taiwanese hold very strong beleifs towards the aboriginal race. its good to be aware before bring the inlaws in case they are racist/insensitive and end up causing one of lot of problems socially. I dont care for it either, but its a reality.

1 Like

are you familiar with ‘Yuletide’? i assumed cha bu duo but also had never heard of Christmastide…

I’ve mailed some things home, nicely wrapped: I-heart-Taiwan fridge magnets etc.

Looks like the most likely Christmasy thing that will happen for me here is dinner with colleagues, which tends to happen anyways

Which I already mentioned.

Only complete idiots would do that.

Right. Sorry, I missed that part in original post. It is weird, isn’t it?

Or simply unaware how someone reacts in front of certain people. I have seen it too many times to count, hence the heads up as it can be very uncomfortable and is all too common.

I think more older generation problem, which I am not. I would like to think its a country side problem, but comments I get from my northern Taiwan urban friends think its more lack of knowledge (I hope) but all this off topic of which I hope this should be a festive and happy time.

I like the lights in Taitung areas which have many small to mid sized churches. I do think churches in general seem more important to people is smaller towns (EU, Taiwan ect) even though the grand big churches tend be in the big cities.

3 Likes

Yep, probably nust an education thing as usual. I was only mentioning it as an aside to avoid disrespecting.people as i suggest if one wants to good musical christmas, aboriginal villages seem to be the bes places for that. Very happy, very festive and often very christian oriented! Would just want to filter certain folks from going there and making people feel bad a its common and often people dont even know they are being rude and judgmental towards aboriginals here :slight_smile:

But if i were christian wanting to rock out on christmas, thats the only kind of place i would be searching out!

Guys and gals, tomorrow is the German market in Yuanshan. See you there.

https://taiwan.ahk.de/events/2021-german-christmas-market

3 Likes

Post some photos if you have time, so people not in Taiwan can see it !

1 Like

I couldn’t help but read this part in a German accent.

Experience the authentic German Christmas atmosphere around the sparkling Christmas tree while enjoying German specialties, Christmas music and fun family activities.

You will have all the fun in the world and I command you to go.

Last part I added myself.:smile:

1 Like

That. Before you go, please be aware that for Ze Germans, Christmas is a fear-based holiday.

There also seems to be something Christmas Market-y going on in Nangang as well: Redirecting...

I’m there now. Not much Christmas Spirit (not that I would care, sorry, Dear thread) but nice place with tons of international food and beer/wine options. Absolutely worth a visit I think, and easily walkable from Nangang station.

2 Likes

Yuanshan was nice but crowded. Not enough bins either

Thanks for the tip. Went to check it out this afternoon, and was impressed by the vendor turnout. Must have easily been 40+ food/drink vendors alone with a decent selection of Western-ish fare that are relatively uncommon here, some of it actually pretty tasty.

Hope to see this space getting a lot more use.

2 Likes

I was there briefly , was not too impressed by the food situation , some vendors ran out of supplies at lunchtime (but wouldn’t tell you so they try to sell you mulled wine instead after queuing) and the portions weren’t great and it was raining . More selection of decent German brokwurst saurkraut pickles (not Taiwanese German style sausages ) etc needed. I got a sad excuse for a sausage and bread and moved on (150ntd …Be more generous…That’s five euro ).
They were playing some horrible Disney Christmas music. You don’t have other music ? The beer selection on the other hand was excellent but was not there for that.

Maybe better in the evening or when not raining. Still it is good to see some effort for Christmas from the Western and Taiwanese community.

2 Likes

Way overestimated…I also don’t go to a Germany Christmas market for ‘Western-ish’ stuff…I can get that anywhere. :grin:.There were maybe three authentic food vendors in my book.