Christopher Veal's "Foreign Teacher's Association"

Time to float a new business plan to the wife. Thanks for the tip.

The most dangerous person is someone who’s been here 2-3 years and thinks he knows all the answers. Anyone who wants to “represent” foreign teachers here had better have the grapes to really know the system, and know how to work it. I feel for the newbies who listen to advice from these kind of people. They tend to get messed up. The longer you stay here, the more you realize that you don’t know squat.

[quote=“sandman”]In other words, the Gringo is seeking your credentials. You know – who you are, what your experience is in the area of large-scale organizations, what kind of qualifications you have that will persuade us to entrust our “unionizing” efforts to you in particular.
Establish your credentials before asking people to go out of their way to help you or put themsleves on the line for you. [/quote]
I was just hoping for a well constructed paragraph.

How inspiring. A guy who can’t even make up his mind if it was two years or three years in Taiwan.

Why would anybody want to put their immigration status at risk for an unnamed person living in southern California? Is the name of this “wealthy predominantly Taiwanese city in so-cal” classified information?

Wow, investments are a hobby of mine. How about sending me some of your cash to play with. That seems about the same as asking teachers to put their job security and immigration status in your hands.

I respect Maoman and many of the other folks here who operate schools, but if I were a buxiban teacher, I would never want them to be members, much less the leaders of any teachers’ union of which I’m a member. That’s simple conflict of interest. I’m not aware of Maoman ever asking people here to put their job security or immigration status in his hands, but he still makes his name known to all who post here. Why would anyone here even begin to trust you? We don’t even know your name.

Is it Southern California or Taiwan? Make up your mind.

[quote=“christopherveal”]we do live in a country full of scam artists.[quote]Where do you live now? [quote=“christopherveal”] Given this, i can understand MR. old gringo’s response. The fact still remains that Ftat really is about foreign teacher advocacy. Of course, skepticism will bring the ugliest of colors of some gringos, but time will tell. Its as simple as that. I personally have 5 years experience teaching Toefl, 2-3 of them in taiwan. I teach university level students in a wealthy predominantly Taiwanese city in so-cal.[/quote]Where is that? I moved here from so cali. Lived there 13 years. I moved about the various Asian communities quite a bit and do not know of any “wealthy predominantly Taiwanese city in so-cal.”. Whats its name? Temple City? South Pasadena? Garden Grove? Paramount? [quote=“christopherveal”]"… and through such, I have had the fortunate opportunity to meet politicians, entrepreneurs, fellow school owners, professors, etc. Teaching is a hobby of mine,[/quote]OOPS!..a hobby?[quote=“christopherveal”] as the bulk of my time is spent on investments. Right now, I’m working on a few small investments in taichung/Hualian/jiayi/xinchu, of which are a few toefl cram schools. If anyone happens to pass through/lives in these areas feel free to give me a ring; we can do coffee or beer.0989220050 Mr.Gringo, you too are welcome to call me. Pardon my shortness, duty calls…[/quote][/quote][/quote]This is getting more interesting…

This would never work for the basic fact that you would need the support of the Taiwanese. When they see your salaries which are sometimes double of what they’re making you could be shoveling shit 20 hours a day and your not going to get an once of sympathy. Lastly it doesn’t take someone who speaks fluent English to understand there not getting the best and brightest working here. It will have to start with the Taiwanese. If they start to create standards/regulations for who can/cannot teach English then the job will appear more professional and possible garner the respect from the Taiwanese.

Nope, never been taken advantage of (like that,) but I’ve read a lot about how to go about doing so. I do know that in Taipei City the government is cracking down a lot harder (with deportations.) Like my mama use to say “The squeaky wheel gets the grease.”

I don’t actually think you pose much of thread to anyone, I was just trying to get a rise out of you and some contact info. If I have time today I’ll give you a ring. There is the slightest possibility that you are getting something together, though the way you’ve gone about presenting yourself thus far leads me to believe that nothing will come of it.

You’re also very new to the forums. Imagine someone (a nobody) arriving in Taizhong, with talks of an organization like yours, with absolutely no proof. You either tell him to feck off, or listen to him rank a bit, then forget about it. It’s just the nature of the (Internet) beast for us not to believe anything you’re ranting about.

“The nail that sticks up gets pounded flat” is another one. :wink:

I think most of yous are a tad too harsh on the OP.

Welcome to Forumosa, christopher. :slight_smile: I think you are a good guy, with good intentions and I’m sorry that other posters reacted like they have.

Anyways… I know someone here in Kaohsiung who tried doing a very similar thing. I know her well. This lady wanted to form a union for the teachers in Kaohsiung and eventually island wide. She managed to gather a whole lot of people to attend a first meeting. She ended up very frustrated and she just walked out half-way thought the meeting. Kind of like this thread where her thoughts were made fun of or plainly insulted.

You know what, maybe she was dreaming (maybe not)and so are you but nonetheless, I think you really mean well, and you even posted your contacts for anyone really interested or offended(whatever the case may be… :unamused:) to contact you IRL. It tells me that you are more than willing to sit at a table with me and take the time to explain your plan to me. It could be the stupidest, most naive plan to ever be thought of, (I don’t know) but it sure isn’t like planning murder…

Good for you, and if I was not so far south, I would definitely go have a beer with you. Your “unsupported ideas” are interesting enough.

Best regards,

Chris

I just thought it would be interesting to let the naysayers know that its become a phenomoenon that the “movers and shakers” in this industry turn around aren’t participating in ignorant criticism of good intentioned blogs, but rather proactively join in the efforts to strive for a just result. We so far have accomplished quite a bit in such a short time. Whats even more funny is all of these naysayers and critics are benefiting from our work. Isn’t it ironic? Thank you to the teachers who are being proactive and making Taiwan a more habitable place to teach. My cell is 0989220050. Until our website is up, msn and email are our most effective means of communication. Christopherveal@hotmail.com

You speak as if we dont live in a place packed full of taiwanese people. Yes you are right, it takes backing of taiwanese people to make things work here. If thats all it took, then mission accomplished. Good for us, I’m not as naiive as some of my fellow american leaders.

[quote=“christopherveal”] We so far have accomplished quite a bit in such a short time.[/quote]Could you be more specific please? What have you accomplished? I’m genuinely interested. [quote] Whats even more funny is all of these naysayers and critics are benefiting from our work. Isn’t it ironic?[/quote]If you could be more specific, then I might see the irony. With all due respect, you have not even mentioned any achievement other than having connections with influential Taiwanese folks and you also mentioned “loop holes”. What are the loop holes and who are these people that support you? I honestly do not understand the need to keep these contacts of yours anonymous. In fact, I think it would be better not to mention these connections of yours if you can not tell us who they are. And if they are indeed people who can help you/us, then all the better, I can’t see why they would want to be anonymous. If they do wish to be anonymous, then my guess is that there are quite a few loop holes missing to achieve anything at all, other than pissing people off and making things even harder for us teachers.

Again, how exactly are you helping us at the moment if you do not tell us what the achievements are and who is involved? I think that your ideas may be good but your approach is highly questionable. Honestly.

[quote]Good for us, I’m not as naiive as some of my fellow American leaders.[/quote] Excuse me? Do you not want support from Americans living and teaching in Taiwan regardless who they vote for in their home country? Because you just lost their support. Bad move. :unamused: You’re not going nowhere with a wide mouth like that. What the hell do American leaders have to do with this?

You just killed my enthusiasm, I’m out of here.

The more I read, the more I get the impression of a naive youngster who’s “A’ mooth nae troosers.” Either walk that walk or don’t be surprised when you’re not taken seriously.
What EXACTLY have you accomplished? How EXACTLY have these critics and naysayers benefited from what you’ve accomplished?

This is deadly serious.

Sounds about right.

I hadn’t heard of many connected types in foreign circles in the Taichung area before. Must have been a quick thing. Unless we weren’t rollin’ in the same circles.

Rule of thumb for me is that most legislators don’t give a darn about foreign teachers in Taiwan. We don’t vote. It rings alarm bells on the old what’s in in for me situation.

Then again, I wasn’t rollin’ in the swinging set either.

Sounds about right.

I hadn’t heard of many connected types in foreign circles in the Taichung area before. Must have been a quick thing. Unless we weren’t rollin’ in the same circles.

Rule of thumb for me is that most legislators don’t give a darn about foreign teachers in Taiwan. We don’t vote. It rings alarm bells on the old what’s in in for me situation.

Then again, I wasn’t rollin’ in the swinging set either.[/quote]

I thought you were Da Ge of Nowhere!

Sounds about right.

Then again, I wasn’t rollin’ in the swinging set either.[/quote]

I thought you were Da Ge of Nowhere![/quote]

No, read carefully, I said I wasn’t in the “swinging” set. I really wanted to be a swinger, but the wife wouldn’t have any of that!

I have several friends who have been teaching in Taichung for years and years. None of them admit to having heard of anyone called Christopher Veal or any teacher union plan.
So again I ask: What have you done? EXACTLY when, where and how? What EXACTLY did it accomplish? How did these actions help your critics? Be precise. You are asking a lot but giving virtually nothing in return.

ah HA!

interesting news clippling

Any chance you could post the article, Truant. I’d have to give credit card info to read the article. I’m not keen. You can pm it to me if you prefer. I’m just curious.

[quote]PATERSON MAN ADMITS ROBBING GRANDMOTHER
By Fredrick Kunkle, Record Staff Writer
Date: 07-01-1992, Wednesday
Section: NEWS
Edition: 2 Star P, Also in 3 Star, 2 Star B, 1 Star Late, 1 Star Early
Biographical: CHRISTOPHER VEAL

Christopher Veal reluctantly admitted in Superior Court on Tuesday
that he pitched an elderly woman down her front porch stairs, broke into
her apartment, ransacked it in a hunt for money, and then robbed the
woman at gunpoint of $80 she had stashed in the heel of her shoe. [/quote]
I suppose there’s a chance that its a different bloke but still, US$80 transformed into several TOEFL buxibans in 14 years would be pretty good going.