Chronic neck pain + any recs on Taiwanese reflexology?

I’ve had chronic neck pain for years; it doesn’t help that I am always cracking it (by jerking it to the side) but it’s more addictive than cocaine. Sometimes the tension gets into the upper back area and/or underneath the shoulder blades.

I kinda made a New Year’s resolution to take care of it. Any suggestions?

Also, I recall seeing a documentary on some painful Taiwanese foot massage revived or pioneered by some Swiss priest. Any recommendations or opinions on this?

:pray:

If you are in Taiwan then I would recommend going to a hospital and have an X-ray taken. It could be so many things. Then follow the doctors recommendation. The fees would be super cheap to have this done. If you are really serious then get it done right.

Chronic neck pain can be caused by a multitude of things. None of which are cured by cracking your neck side to side, or even front to back.

An x-ray will be a waste of money, if an x-ray showed anything an MRI will follow. If the x-ray was clear, an MRI would follow. So go straight to an MRI.

Now, you can do some easy tests at home to see if the nerves are affected in your neck. Get a pin, and starting at your shoulder on one arm prick yourself every inch or so down to your wrist ( on the outside of your arm ). Does it at any point on either arm feel any less sharp ? Get back to me.

[quote=“riggers”]Chronic neck pain can be caused by a multitude of things. None of which are cured by cracking your neck side to side, or even front to back.

An x-ray will be a waste of money, if an x-ray showed anything an MRI will follow. If the x-ray was clear, an MRI would follow. So go straight to an MRI.

Now, you can do some easy tests at home to see if the nerves are affected in your neck. Get a pin, and starting at your shoulder on one arm prick yourself every inch or so down to your wrist ( on the outside of your arm ). Does it at any point on either arm feel any less sharp ? Get back to me.[/quote]

I did the pin test as recommended. The pin pricks basically felt the same all the way down each arm. :s

That is good news. The neck is made up of 7 cervival vertebrae. Nerves from the spinal cord run through them, and into the arms. If there was damage around the vertebrae then depending upon which one you would get localised numbness somewhere in the upper limbs. If you had numbness around the front of the shoulder, it would correspond with C2. MRI would be the gold standard examination. If you cannot get one done. You could do worse than to google some neck exercises, do them applying a warm compress first. Take ibuprofen or another anti inflammatory for a couple of weeks. Then just see how you go. If anything causes discomfort stop.

If you’ve had neck pain for a long time, I would go to see a neurologist or an orthopedist. They may arrange for an MRI (you may have to wait for a week or so) which will give a lot of information and hopefully some answers regarding your neck pain. X-rays do show things (mainly bone) but I agree with riggers, even if something significant did show up, the logical next step is still an MRI. I’ve had chronic back/neck pain for twenty years and am in pain management, so I’ve had my share of scans and other tests done in the past, and all were worth it, as they provided valuable info. I wouldn’t risk any kind of manipulative treatment until you have a better idea of what the problem is. Good luck!

Exercises you do yourself to alleviate pain and promote movement are fine. Manipulative treatment is different in that someone else does it to you. If you do exercises yourself and you feel any discomfort you stop, simple as that. Posture is important too, so check yourself when you walk past windows and mirrors etc not in a vain way, just to see if you are slouching. When you sit down be aware of your posture.

X-Rays of the neck only give information on the bone. Depending on your age you may or may not have arthritis. There is no information garnered from an X-Ray that is not gained from an MRI.

Go and see a doctor if you are worried, i would recommend seeing a physio first. Posture is the biggest cause of back and neck pain.

I have worked as a Neuroradiographer for the last 15 years, i see patients with all ranges of problems. From their first visit to pain management clinics, to large operations. It is always best to start dealing with the most likely problem.

Ever tried craniosacral bodywork? Many chiropractors add this skill to their basic training, but some people (like me) study craniosacral separately. I’ve been studying and practicing almost 10 years. It’s like a chiropractic adjustment but the body does it itself, when it wants and where it wants, rather than the practitioner “figuring you out” and doing anything to you. Best to try it if you are interested. I have healing studio space in Taipei and in Tainan (am at each location several times a month). Prior to this a good medical evaluation, as others have recommended is an excellent idea. A craniosacral practitioner is a body worker, not a doctor.

Interested, email me (JaneELewis@gmail.com)

Thanks for the recommendations and advice. :bow:

I think I will look into an MRI but it’ll take some time, I think. Several years ago, I had an x-ray taken that indicated there was nothing skeletal or whatever it’s called. However, maybe things have changed especially with all the compulsive neck cracking that I’ve trying to stop myself from doing.

One recommendation that had me wondering ‘why the Hell didn’t I do this earlier?’ was to make a warm compress. I microwaved a wet rolled up hand towel that was stuffed in a Ziplock bag, sealed it up and wrapped it in another dry hand towel with one side only having one layer of towel over it. I applied it to the crick of my neck as I lay down and it was like being immersed neck deep in a Japanese hot spring (onsen).

Glad to hear the heat compress is giving some relief. Have you got a decent pillow? That’s a must-have for anyone with a bad neck.

I wouldn’t delay too much if you have constant pain. I’ve had serious problems in my lumbar spine for many years, and I (along with my doctors) was so focused on that that until recently I neglected my neck pain, thinking it probably wasn’t anything too serious. I went to see a neurologist when I began to experience numbness and tingling down my arm, and he was concerned enough about these symptoms to arrange an EMG and nerve conduction tests immediately, along with x-rays (and then an MRI). It turned out I have herniated discs, osteophyte formation and cervical spondylosis resulting in severe stenosis, as well as severe facet arthropathy and kyphosis throughout the cervical spine. The spinal cord and nerve roots are quite badly compressed at a couple of levels in particular, and the neurosurgeons I consulted still haven’t ruled out surgery to prevent further damage to the spinal cord. I’m not saying yours is necessarily anything as serious as this, but it might be worth getting it seen to if the pain continues or gets worse, just to make sure. Good luck.