Chunghwa Telecom ADSL sucks?

i have a (supposedly) 10MBit ADSL line with Chunghwa Telecom.
while it never ever really reached the 10MBit, it was mostly getting 300 - 600k/s
since it is not too expensive i dont mind too much the difference to 10 Mbit

However since a few months it simply sucks:
suddenly filetransfers drop from 500k/s to 30 - 50K/s
buying stuff in itunes and downloading takes ages
youtube is a choppy mess, sometimes no connects to the videofeed at all
internet radio is a choppy mess

anyone else experiencing these problems?
when i called CHT a couple of times, they always say its not their fault, one time a service dude showed up in my appartment, sonnected to some local website which told me i have the fastest internet access in the world (sarcasm off)
they said it would be the fault of the webservers / download servers in the rest of the world (hahaha)

i found this seems to be varying with the time when u surf on the web.
usually latest from 9pm i can not get high transfer speeds anymore.
i know its not a setup or equipment problem on my side, in my workplace we have TFN ADSL 3MBit and we ALWAYS get 300K/s from all over the world there.

anyone know what to do?
they just dont WANT to acknoledge or admit taht the problem is on their side…

:fume:

See the existing threads:

Slow Hinet DSL Solution (worked for me)

Hinet adsl sucks bigtime lately …

Best ADSL service in Taiwan

repeat after me:

there is no problem, there is no problem, there is no problem.

the customer is stupid, the customer is stupid, the customer is stupid.

bandwidth is to be shared by all endusers on that spur. fibre optic costs too much. additional servers are not necessary.

etc etc

You can buy things from iTunes in Taiwan?

[quote=“Gelangweilt”]I know its not a setup or equipment problem on my side, in my workplace we have TFN ADSL 3MBit and we ALWAYS get 300K/s from all over the world there.

anyone know what to do?[/quote]

I think you answered your own question. I have TFN at home and like you said, its performance is pretty solid, and much much better than Hinet. There’s no significant price difference either.

iTunes only cares about your billing address. If you use a US credit card then it’s no problem to use the iTunes US Music Store even if you download in Taiwan. I assume the same would be true of their other international iTunes Music Stores. If you only have a TW credit card then you are out of luck.

i still have german credit card and billing adress, so i can use the german itunes store.
to access teh US itunes store i heared taht gift certificates would work, but i havent tried that yet…

[quote=“jlick”][quote=“Gelangweilt”]I know its not a setup or equipment problem on my side, in my workplace we have TFN ADSL 3MBit and we ALWAYS get 300K/s from all over the world there.

anyone know what to do?[/quote]

I think you answered your own question. I have TFN at home and like you said, its performance is pretty solid, and much much better than Hinet. There’s no significant price difference either.
[/quote]

its weird actually: when i applied for ADSL for our company here we chose TFN because of a recommendation. when i asked them if they also do private ADSL service the sales dude said no to me, so i assumed they only do business customers.
1 year later i found out that ones of my colleagues here uses TFN at home and is quite happy too.
sometimes i really wonder why SALES people dont even know their own products.
especially on teh background taht we setup a company here, he should have seen i am not a runaway cheating foreigner or whatever his fear was for a priavte ADSL…

lack of other choice i went with CHT then and teh first year was really good, high throughput. since about 1 year it really sucks, and depending on time of day it really ranges from 300-700k/s down to 50k/s (most of time)

since i am leaving in teh next 6-7 months back home for good, it makes no real sense to swtch ISP again now, since they all waynt 1 year minimum contract. switch to fibre (VDSL) failed because CHT wanted a 2 year contract with taht when they offered it to me beginning this year…
guess i am out of luck then
:-/

That’s the way they do it … first 6 months to a year everything goes well, then they screw you back … Taiwanese never complain or even realize that they get slower speeds, so why not try screwing them over …

seems to be that way. from my experience, locals get very easy used to stuff and dont complain much.
sigh

at least i am glad to see i am not teh only one
:wink:

In the UK they have the same problem … BBC link

[quote]It ruled that broadband providers could use the words “up to” 8Mbps when describing services as long as customers were likely to get close to those speeds.

The average speed achieved in the Which? trials was 2.7Mbps, with the lowest coming in at under 0.09Mbps, barely at dial-up rates, and the maximum only reaching 6.7Mbps.

“It is shocking that internet service providers can advertise ever-increasing speeds that seem to bear little resemblance to what most people can achieve in reality,” said which.co.uk editor Malcolm Coles.

“If it’s unlikely that you’ll reach the advertised speed it should be made clear up front, so that you know with some certainty what you’re buying,” he added. [/quote]

But at least there they have an organization that reacts on user complaints …

A couple of weeks ago, I received a call from Chunghwa telling me that since optic fiber installation (???) had reached my zone, they had to change the modem/connecting box whatever. We made an appointment for a suitable time, and when the guy came -on a Saturday afternoon, imagine that- he also installed the new M.O.D system (multimedia on demand), which has some TV channels for free -TV5 among them- plus other pay-as-you-go services -like renting movies, 20 to 80 nts each.

He even checked my phone landline, and we reached the conclusion that I need a new phone set. I don’t know about the speed, but I cannot complain about their technical service.