Church of Scientology accused of holding Taiwanese national against her will in Australia

abc.net.au/news/2013-02-25/c … on/4539658

[i]In March 2012, Alice Wu was hospitalised after she punched a window at the Church of Scientology’s headquarters in Dundas, in Sydney’s west.
Ms Wu badly damaged her right hand in the incident. Her family claims she was trying to escape the facility at the time.
The Church of Scientology denies the allegations, saying Ms Wu was not held captive or forced to do anything against her will.
Ms Wu was 20 and studying commerce when she signed Scientology’s billion-year contract in late 2011, joining the elite Sea Organisation and moving from her home town of Taichung to Sydney.

Taiwan has become the major recruiting ground for the Church of Scientology in Australia, following a sharp decline in membership locally.
Two former insiders have told Lateline at least 50 per cent of Scientology’s staff in Sydney are Taiwanese.

The day before Lateline was due to interview Mr Gibson, the story of Ms Wu took a remarkable turn.
The ABC’s managing director, Mark Scott, received an email from Ms Wu where she denied she was held against her will, or was treated badly or hurt herself trying to escape.
In the email Ms Wu wrote: “I do not give ABC, your reporter or any other media for that matter permission to publicise or use my unfortunate circumstances to your advantage or to vilify an organisation I freely support.”
The statement is witnessed by a Taiwanese notary Yu-Lung Chen and dated February 14, three days after Lateline first raised the allegations with the Church of Scientology.
[/i]

I wasn’t aware that Scientology recruit in Taiwan. Has anyone else heard of this?

Dunno about scientology specifically, but Taiwan does seem to be an extremely fertile hunting-ground for assorted cults and wackos. I know one person who was caught up in one of these and basically signed over her life to do “the work of the church”. The S.O. has a relative who gives all her time and money to some other cult. Gullible and superstitious people, plus an education system that frowns upon thinking for oneself: result is quite predictable.

Yeah, there was an office just off Minsheng E Rd section 5 when I worked there about 10 years ago. They kept daring eachother to come and ask me stupid shit in English. ‘Do you want a free personality test?’ ‘No.’ ‘Is very good!’ ‘And …?’

When I was approached many years ago as a backpacker in Australia it was an ‘intelligence test’.

Afterwards, I met several people who thought they were geniuses due a test someone had offered them on the street. :unamused:

When I was approached many years ago as a backpacker in Australia it was an ‘intelligence test’.

Afterwards, I met several people who thought they were geniuses due a test someone had offered them on the street. :unamused:[/quote]

Never happens to me!

They see me and right away know that they can’t break my will.

In their defence… What will? If she ever had a free will, Scientology surely turned this little self-determination into some kind of highly complex Zombie-reflex.

What? You mean i am NOT a genius??? Well I’ll be doggone !

Is this a human rights issue? is this even legal in Australia?

They advertise their “comfortable library for families” in Chinese booklets I read (those art and culture event ones you see at the MRT stations and libraries). A friend got caught out when they went there, and got stuck watching a video for 30 minutes with their children about the wonders of Scientology. They also hand out booklets all over the place. Two years ago, my (then six year old) son came home with bilingual versions of the booklets for “our family and friends”. The substutite teacher at his art class was handing them out. My son thought it sounded “lovely” and I then had to give him a lesson on propoganda and cults.

And some of the teachings!
The upper teachings of Scientology are similar to those of a UFO based religion. They teach that Earth is a prison planet, home to the souls of millions of murdered intergalactic beings. They teach that an evil galactic overload named Xenu had them all killed in order to solve a massive overcrowding problem. This is known as Incident 2. This is not a joke. These are the actual teachings of Scientology
Anyone who really changes their lives based on Hubbards conceptions need to be in a Mental Institution (only MY opinion) I hope as in Belgium,Governments start to prosecute these Cults.

[quote=“shiadoa”]And some of the teachings!
The upper teachings of Scientology are similar to those of a UFO based religion. They teach that Earth is a prison planet, home to the souls of millions of murdered intergalactic beings. They teach that an evil galactic overload named Xenu had them all killed in order to solve a massive overcrowding problem. This is known as Incident 2. This is not a joke. These are the actual teachings of Scientology
Anyone who really changes their lives based on Hubbards conceptions need to be in a Mental Institution (only MY opinion) I hope as in Belgium,Governments start to prosecute these Cults.[/quote]

I got the book “Inside Scientology”(amazon.com/Inside-Scientolog … 0618883029) out from the Taipei Public Library. It’s a really good read.

Anyone who really changes their lives based on Hubbards conceptions need to be in a Mental Institution (only MY opinion) I hope as in Belgium,Governments start to prosecute these Cults.[/quote]

To be fair all religions are as unbelievable and as fanciful as each other. I give the Scientologists credit for originality if nothing else :sunglasses: . The virgin birth myth is one of the oldest stories on the planet and has been hashed and rehashed across a dozen or so cultures.

I remember hearing that Hubbard apparently said ‘Screw this writing business, the real money’s in religion’ a year or so before he ‘discovered’ Scientology.

Seems he was right.

Yeah I remember hearing that too.

Leaving all else aside, following a religion created by a science fiction writer is just not something a sensible person would do.

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]I remember hearing that Hubbard apparently said ‘Screw this writing business, the real money’s in religion’ a year or so before he ‘discovered’ Scientology.

Seems he was right.[/quote]

All welcome the Church of Latter Day English Teachers! We can start our own!

You must be one of Xenu’s willing allies, trying to hide the truth! Clearly you need significant auditing. Perhaps you were a clam in a previous life.

[quote=“Petrichor”]
I wasn’t aware that Scientology recruit in Taiwan. Has anyone else heard of this?[/quote]

yes they are here in force, all over the island. north and south. They use a fake name like Family Psychology Center, and have Sunday meetings, and thern they hand out real SCIENTOLOGY flyers, Japan too. Gullible people are everywhere. In Taiwan, I know a man, well educated, 60, he and his wife and three kids are all members, they were Trained in OZ and in USA. Came back to work hard for Ronnie here. THe news media mostly is afraid to report this news.

You are all Suppressive Persons!

Calling Marcus. In need of a front man.

Yeah right. Ms Wu wrote that. As if. Mindset put aside, deftness cannot be taught let alone a complex inference loaded statement.

There was a revealing letter to editor in Taipei Times today, page 8, letters section, by a woman who is the Kaohsiung leader of the
Sci IN tology groupies. Stephanie Tsai or something and she wrote:
[I wonder if she will write a letter explaining how the Taichung woman was kidnapped in OZ by the Sci IN Toll Nuts, huh Stephanie?
Dear Editor:

Scientology suit frivolous

I write in response to the AP article, “US couple sues Church of Scientology over donations” (TT, Jan. 25, page 7).

Our sci fi church lawyer just recently served the papers on this suit: “We understand that this has to do with fundraising and we can unequivocally state all funds solicited are used for the charitable and religious purposes for which they were donated. To see the church’s world renowned humanitarian programs visit www.scientology.org. This frivolous suit was generated by the same group of anti-scientology apostates who recently lost another frivolous lawsuit and were ordered by a federal court to pay the church more than [US]$40,000. The statements to the media made about the church and its ecclesiastical leader by these bitter individuals are blatantly false.”

Stephanie Tsai
Church of Scientology
Kaohsiung

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003556703