Churchill's Frozen Chicken Kiev - to defrost or not to defrost?

I found a bag of Churchill’s Chicken Kiev in my freezer - I remember being excited to buy it but then I forgot it was there.

I went to their website to check how to cook it, it advises that we should defrost it first. I don’t want to do that - because it will take a day to do that in my fridge (or at least most of a day). Here is what is on their website

HOWEVER, I found on other websites that frozen Chicken Kiev is best baked FROZEN!

Under TIPS FOR FREEZING
… For best results, cook from frozen.
Chicken kievs recipe | BBC Good Food

From ASDA groceries
…For best results oven cook from frozen

From Sainsbury’s
… Oven cook from chilled or frozen

But other websites warn that we should defrost them first :frowning:

Same typically goes for frozen pizza. The time on the box for cooking it is the time once it is pulled out of the freezer. I’d go with cooking it frozen, but that’s me.

1 Like

I bought a pack of those a month or two ago. They weren’t bad. Surprisingly good, actually.

I think it’s up to you whether you want to defrost them or not. IIRC, I cooked them (or most of them) from frozen. Maybe I left them outside on the oven tray for 15-20 min while preheating the oven. They shouldn’t take too long to defrost at current room temperature anyway.

If you can’t be bothered, I’d just cook them from frozen. Maybe cook them a few minutes extra in that case.

1 Like

You don’t have to do it if you don’t want to.

It may not take a whole day to defrost in the fridge - I found a website that said it would take an hour. But if this is as easy as popping it into an oven while still frozen, I am certainly more keen to do that

I nominate this for humble brag of the day.
FAlse humility at it’s finest…
“Oh, I bought a big diamond ring for the wife, but I forgot to give it to her on her birthday, what shall I do?” :astonished:

I’d usually defrost stuff like that at room temperature (if I was going to do it), or in a bowl of room-temperature to warm tap water if it’s in a sealed packet. Obviously you shouldn’t leave it outside for several hours in this weather, but I don’t think it’s necessary to defrost it in the fridge (which takes ages).

I guess the point here is that you want the inside to cook without burning the breadcrumbs, so should avoid the oven being too hot. I probably cooked them at maybe 180°C for a bit longer than it says on the pack, until the garlic butter inside had just started to leak out. (I guess that means the internal temperature is high enough to cook the chicken, but you could check it with meat thermometer if you have one and can be bothered.)

Still, I doubt you’ll die if you just cook it from frozen. This post does not constitute medical advice.

2 Likes

Second this, can defrost in 30mins or so

1 Like