Citizenship Tests: USA vs. Taiwan

U.S. to Try Out New Citizenship Tests
By SUZANNE GAMBOA Associated Press Writer (2003.03)

WASHINGTON (AP) - To make it more uniform, changes are in the works for the test that asks would-be U.S. citizens about English, American history and other topics.

The Homeland Security Department on Thursday began a pilot project in five cities - Newark, N.J., San Antonio, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Calif., and Atlanta.

Applicants for citizenship are tested on their ability to read, write and speak English, as well as their knowledge of U.S. history and government. They are asked questions from an approved list, but each testing officer can decide which questions to ask.

As a result, the test varies depending on who is asking the questions and where the test is given, the department says.

Under the pilot project, immigrants who agree to participate will be asked a question designed for the revised test after their naturalization interview. The question will not count for or against their application for citizenship, according to the department’s citizenship and immigration services bureau said.

“Whether you’re a citizenship applicant in Sacramento or San Antonio, you should have the same set of expectations about what kind of test you will experience,” said Gerri Ratliff, director of the test redesign. “Not only is it a matter of fairness, but it will also help ensure that applicants come into the test fully prepared.”

The bureau hired a private test developing company, MetriTech Inc., to help.

A question on the history portion of the new test is: “Where were the 13 colonies located?” with four multiple choice answers. The answer is the East Coast of the United States.

The U.S. Commission on Immigration Reform recommended in the 1990s that naturalization tests be standardized and their content made more relevant.

The National Association of Latino and Elected Officials Educational Fund supports bringing uniformity to citizenship testing, said Larry Gonzalez, the group’s Washington director.

But he said the organization is concerned that the trial runs are being done at offices with high Latino populations. That could make the test unfair for immigrants from other ethnic groups or with native languages other than Spanish.

“There’s still some stumbling, but we’re willing to give people the benefit of the doubt because we believe in the concept,” Gonzalez said. He said his group has asked the bureau to collect demographic information to ensure diversity among the participating interviewees.

Taiwan to Try Out New Citizenship Tests
By DUNCAN DORFELMYER Forumosa Press Writer

TAIPEI (AP) - To make it more uniform, changes are in the works for the test that asks would-be Taiwan citizens about Chinese, Taiwan history and other topics.

The Ministry of the Interior on Thursday is expected to begin a pilot project in five cities - Taipei, Hualien, Taichung, Pingtung, and Kaohsiung.

Applicants for citizenship are tested on their ability to read, write and speak Chinese, as well as their knowledge of Taiwan history and government. They are asked questions from an approved list, but each testing officer can decide which questions to ask.

As a result, the test varies depending on who is asking the questions and where the test is given, the department says.

Under the pilot project, immigrants who agree to participate will be asked a question designed for the revised test after their naturalization interview. The question will count for their application for citizenship, according to the ministry’s citizenship and immigration services bureau said. “Attitude is also important, as well as respect for the Chinese version of history,” it was noted.

“Whether you’re a citizenship applicant in Panchiao or Taitung, you should have the same set of expectations about what kind of test you will experience,” said Louisa Lin, director of the test redesign. “Not only is it a matter of fairness, but it will also help ensure that applicants come into the test fully prepared.”

The ministry hired a private test developing company, SinoNationTech Inc., to help.

A question on the history portion of the new test is: “What was the status of the ROC government after it moved operations to Taiwan in December 1949?” According to the official data, the correct answer is “the officially recognized government of China.” Ms. Lin noted that many applicants incorrectly replied: “An officially recognized government-in-exile.”

Another question asks “When was the sovereignty of Formosa and the Pescadores transferred to the ROC?” According to the official data, the correct answer is “October 25, 1945.” Ms. Lin noted that many applicants incorrectly replied: “There is no record of the transfer of sovereignty of Formosa and the Pescadores to the ROC, and since the Geneva Conventions state that military occupation does not transfer sovereignty, of course the ROC on Taiwan is a non-sovereign state.” This answer is not acceptable, Ms Lin stressed. “Applicants should not confuse the propagandist standards of the Geneva Conventions, the US State Department, and the United Nations with the truth,” another ministry official stated.

The ROC Commission on Immigration Reform recommended in the 1990s that naturalization tests be standardized and their content made more relevant, while of course upholding the official line that the ROC is the government of China, has sovereignty over the Tiaoyutai and Spratly Islands, and is fully qualified to be a member of the United Nations.

The National Association of Caucasian and Black Minorities Educational Fund supports bringing uniformity to citizenship testing, said Larry White, the group’s Keelung-based director.

But he said the organization is concerned that the trial runs are being done at offices with high S.E. Asian wives’ populations. That could make the test unfair for immigrants from other ethnic groups or with native languages other than Vietnamese, Thai, and Indonesian.

“There’s still some stumbling, but we’re willing to give people the benefit of the doubt because we believe in the concept,” White said. He said his group has asked the Ministry to collect demographic information to ensure diversity among the participating interviewees. The Ministry is not planning to collect any such data however.

Whew!!! I have turned in my paperwork for Taiwanese citizenship a week ago, and I am very happy to know that I didn’t have to go through an interview!!!

History was my worst subject in high school and I think my Taiwanese history is pretty good. However, doing the paperwork to get citizenship here was so much trouble, I can’t imagine that they’d implement a history interview system, too??? This is totally cruel!

Maybe I was lucky.

(Next week I should get that “magic letter” from the MOI, stating that I’m good for citizenship withing cancelling my US citizenship within a year. I’ll visit my parents on my US passport in Sep., then come back and cancel that pesky US citizenship and then I’ll be free!!!)

Your future Taiwanese local friend,

Coolingtower

Coolingtower, are you young enough for military service?

Yes, I am young enough for military service. I have been to the military office, which happens to be right next door to the Household Registry Office where I sent in my paperwork to get citizenship.

It appears that the military is getting easier and easier–this is a bad thing. As my lower left leg is made of stainless steel (due to an accident, four years ago), they told me that I still might have to do military service. The options are as follows:

#1 (best option) They say my leg is messed up and that I have to do 35 days of TEE DAI YEE. Tee Dai Yee is something like being a security guard or maybe even an English teacher–this is something that I can totally accept.

#2 Go into the regular military for 20 months (1 year 8 months). I’d rather not do this, but I’m mentally and financially prepared to go for 20 months earning only about $7000.

#3 Do Tee Dai Yee for something like 2 years and 8 months. I’d probably not accept this option. It IS easy, but I’d rather go into the regular military and get it over with sooner. This option is possible, though.

As you know, when I cancel my US citizenship (probably Oct or Nov of 2003) I will still have something like 13 months before I actually get an ID card. I’ll have to spend A YEAR carrying a PERMANENT RESIDENCE card. A “year” of “permanent” residence. Isn’t this a kind of oxymoron, or maybe a paradox? Either way, it won’t be until maybe January of 2005 before I actually get an ID card–making me almost 35 years old. They will probably deem me “not useful” for the military.

In the worst-case scenario, I have some connections (my very first Taiwanese friends’ parents’ relative, who is a military doctor) whom which may be able to help me get out of the military.

CONCLUSION:
Considering the things I can’t do with an ARC: buy a house, buy land, start my own business, get a credit card, work freely, etc. , It’s just not worth it to wait eight years until I’m 40, simply to avoid the military. I am mentally prepared to accept whatever military service might be necessary for me. At the same time, I’m expecting that I probably won’t be “wanted” by the military. Either way, I’ll be fine.

Thank you for your concern with this issue!!!

Coolingtower

There have been comments in the English language press here in Formosa and the Pescadores recently about the examination questions used for the “citizenship test” in Taiwan.

Does anyone have more detailed information about what sorts of questions are asked, or what the categories of questions are?