City of CHING-SHUI on Google Maps

I will be settling in the town of CHING-SHUI which is a very small town in the county of TAICHUNG. I cannot find CHING-SHUI on the google maps at all. It is necessary that I find Ching Shui on Google Maps because I will need it as a RETURN point when I am visiting other destinations in Taiwan, and use it as a HOME point. Can someone help me locate Ching-Shui on Google Maps so I can set it as my Home Point destination when I am driving using Google Maps.
Thanks (this is not Ching Shui Cliffs, This is just the small city of Ching-Shui).

I am sorry to inform you that in Taiwan most places do not use hanyu pinyin for place, well, most names. You may have to reach several variations in Wade Guille or other systems to find the real name of this place. That is why it does not show on Google maps.

Copy “436臺中市清水區” and paste it on Google map.

清水區
Qingshui District is its current English name.

1 Like

Thanks for help on the ching shui topic, can you assist me with other question… Last time I visit Taiwan my relatives take me to a “hot spring” type of resort called “Lu-Gong” or “Lu-Gang” or that is how they pronounced it to me. It is a place with many type of Hot spring hotels, and some attractions. This place also I was told had a problem and was “shut down” for awhile, and then “partially” opened up again. I would like to visit this place again, can you help me with the proper name to put into my “Google Maps” so I can drive to this destination. . Thanks again !

Do you mean Guguan? It’s also in Taichung.

Qing Shui is hanyu pinyon Icon :).

Guguan is the hot spring place in Taichung but it is in the deep mountains you need to check the weather and don’t go if typhoon or heavy rain forecast.

Lu gang is an historical town in Taiwan that is a quick drive from qingshui on the coast.

Qingshui isn’t really a town as much as a district I think.

清水區,是中華民國臺中市的市轄區
Qingshui District (Chinese: 清水區; pinyin: Qīngshuǐ Qū) is a coastal suburban district in western Taichung City, Taiwan.

Thanks Captain obvious :slight_smile:

Didn’t you ask this exact question not too long ago in this thread?

…which is why I was saying that if he was looking for it in Hanyu…he would’nt find it. It might be written like that in Google -which he uses- but whatever is on the town signs may not! He could just drive past it.

And Icon did not study hanyu.

I also wondered what he was talking about. I haven’t been to Lugang lately but I remember the amazing temple, great food, awesome traditional cookies… but I do not remember the hot springs. Must be new. Or somewhere else altogether. :rofl:

2 Likes

I think OP might have confused Lugang with Lushan because in the first post regarding the question, it was mentioned that the hotspring closed down due to difficulties.

Due to being illegal more like it.

Thanks all, I also think the Hot Spring as member mentioned is “LUSHAN” not LUGANG, This is correct. It was great place I like to visit again…

In case you do visit Lushan again, it worth noting the hot spring “was” the namesake of the Seediq village Mhebu, which led one of the largest Aboriginal revolts against the Japanese.

I have read that Mhebu’s etymology (hmebuy∕mhebuy) in Seediq meant “leaky or air thick with water droplets”, referring to the steam from the hotspring filling up the air with water vapour that falls back down due to condensation.

That etymology along with the Mhe syllable probably resulted in the Japanese calling the place Musha (霧社), the village of fog.

It was only renamed to Lushan in the 1950s by Chiang Kai-shek who found the place very similar to Lushan in China. Lushan is a terrible name for the place. In a way it’s fitting that the hotspring town is now defunct. Perhaps the land can be returned to the Seediq people, and the place will be remembered by future generations by it’s real name, Mhebu.

2 Likes