CKS Memorial

If Quentin Tarantino wrote the script, that place in Taoyuan might be called “Dead Dictator Storage.”

I believe they might well have room for one more statue.

Guy

I worked in Korea for a while and find some of the similarities interesting about how they both had a difficult transition from dictatorship to democracy.

Taiwan had 2/28. South Korea had the Gwangju Massacre

Taiwan has Chiang Kai-shek, rightwing dictator who advanced the country in a brutal fashion, that elements of the Conservative party still idolize, while South Korea’s counterpart would be Park Chung-hee

Both Taiwan and Korea really became democracies in the 1980s to early 1990s as well.

Oh and they both have existential threats (China and North Korea) that would seek to wipe them out. And the dictatorships were sort of in response to those threats.

Just interesting…

2 Likes

Yes lots of interesting parallels (and differences) with South Korea.

If you’re thinking about 228, a more precise parallel in Korean history would be the Jeju 4.3 Incident in 1948.

The Gwangju Massacre, in terms of its timeline, is closer to the Kaohsiung / Formosa Incident.

Lots of parallels to think about . . .

Guy

1 Like

There’s been plenty of disastrous and regrettable incidents on this board, but I think your auto-correct is trying to sabotage you. :wink:

5 Likes

I’ll fix it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Guy

1 Like

The repercussions of this gruesome affair are still being felt to this day. :grin:

5 Likes

Shhhh

1 Like

They won’t take down the statue. Couldn’t even rename China Airlines.

What’s the benefit of setting off a huge culture war in Taiwan. Will be the only issue discussed for the next year and will be marches through Taipei and protests in government.

And what will society get in the end? What’s the benefit?

Ironically it was Mao and not CKS who did the running away that time :rofl:

1 Like

The KMT meme machine has been activated… :open_mouth:

The Taliban blows up the big buddha

The TaliDPP removes the statue

Yeah that timeless spiritual artistic wonder—opened in Taipei in the 1980s. :roll_eyes:

And if one is going to throw around “Taliban” references, perhaps the gender politics of these guys could use a look too:

Source: The Race Is On: The Next Chairman of the KMT - Ketagalan Media

Guy

With the speed of Taiwan’s development, that’s practically ancient history. :wink:

Right.

Just like the DPP are like the Taliban. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Guy

At least there’s no 戰鬥藍 banner behind them. :grin:

We may have stumbled onto a solution.

If you don’t know, Zongchai is the cute shiba-inu (i.e. dog) used by the CECC to promote public health guidelines!

Guy

What about the worlds largest vagina? It’d be a like for like swap :laughing: :kiwi_fruit:

Guarantee they wont take it down. Would be a really stupid decision anyway

2 Likes

Kaohsiung did it without fanfare.

What’s up with the water in Taipei?

Guy

Its the main CKS memorial. You are basically creating a huge culture war for no advantages. There will be protests and arguments and no political movement in Taiwan for a year because of this shit.

Just wait 20 years and do it when the oldies are dead and KMT obsolete. Fucking stupid thing to do now, especially as cross-strait situation is getting difficult.

1 Like

Yeah the CCP claims to abhore CKS. But actually they love CKS. Just like the KMT claims to abhore the communists. But . . . .

Looking at this, I can only feel relief that I’m not a Chinese ethnonationalist. :grin:

Guy