Clarification Needed: Am I Eligible for Taiwanese Citizenship under the New Law?

Hey everyone,

I’m seeking some clarification regarding the recent amendment to the citizenship law in Taiwan. Here’s my situation:

I was born overseas to a Taiwanese father. However, at the time of my birth, my father did not have a household registration in Taiwan. He obtained his household registration several years after I was born.

According to the amended law, individuals born overseas are eligible for Taiwanese citizenship if at least one parent has household registration in Taiwan.

Can anyone shed some light on whether I would qualify for Taiwanese citizenship under these circumstances? Additionally, would I be able to obtain a full Taiwan passport without having to reside in Taiwan?

Any insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Irrelevant. You are Taiwanese, and qualify for household registration.

You should be residing in Taiwan to obtain household registration, but the one year requirement is dropped.

He was already an ROC national at the time of your birth tho right?

Yea, will help if you can describe a bit more on how your father attained Taiwanese nationality (thru his parents?) and how he attained household registration.

If he already had nationality when you were born, you have Taiwanese nationality. When he got his household registration is more important to answer if you qualify to get HHR directly or need to go thru the 1 year residency period on a TARC to qualify.

1 Like

Must have had it at time you were born not later on. I got my Taiwan nationality and HHR after my son was born but he can only get HHR under the new law as his mother had HHR when he was born.

1 Like

I don’t think the parent needs to have HHR at the time of their birth. Just needs to be Taiwanese at the time of their birth.

I believe it is written parent must have held HHR when child born. NWOHR does not meet this criteria. I try to find the thread with the link.

Absolutely correct. The amended law states one parent must have held HHR when the child was born. For those the one year residency requirement is dropped. Hence OP needs to reside in Taiwan at least one year to obtain his HHR.
https://tw.forumosa.com/t/nwohr-not-qualified-for-residence-certificate/237193/29?u=widi

1 Like

So you’re saying the OP is still eligible for Taiwanese citizenship. That’s what I said too.

I’m talking about passing on Taiwanese nationality. Not talking about whether OP needs to reside in Taiwan for a year.

Yes, but you also said the one year residency requirement is dropped, which is not correct in the case of OP.

That was in my original post. We have since moved on to whether OP even qualifies for citizenship. Satelite seems to be suggesting no.

Not what I wrote. I said to qualify for HHR his parent needed to have HHR. NWOHR descendants can get NWHOR status but not HHR. IN OP’s case he can get NWOHR passport but is required to live in Taiwan on a tarc for one year to get HHR.

I’m still confused. Your two following statements are contradicting each other:

First you say NWOHR descendants cannot get HHR (which is what I understand you said in your previous post), but then you also say they CAN (as long as they live in Taiwan for a year).

Stop conflating the two time requirements. OP cannot get Taiwan Passport and HHR and ID number now. He would need to have NWOHR passport, enter Taiwan, use a TARC for one year then obtain HHR and ID card.

Simple as of now he cannot get HHR and ID card because when he was born his father did not have HHR or ID card. So no my statements do not contradict each other.

Do read what the OP wrote to understand!!! He is asking can he get Taiwan passport and HHR at same time. His meaning of full Taiwan passport he is meaning ID card and passport.

My son has NWOHR. His two sons can also get NWOHR.
My son could now get his HHR and ID card under the new law without needing to live in Taiwan for one year as his mother had HHR when he was born. His sons cannot they would need to get a TARC then live here one year for HHR and ID.

According to the amended law, individuals born overseas are eligible for Taiwanese citizenship if at least one parent has household registration in Taiwan. Can anyone shed some light on whether I would qualify for Taiwanese citizenship under these circumstances? Additionally, would I be able to obtain a full Taiwan passport without having to reside in Taiwan?

Some additional information: According to this post here Children of NWOHR are already “full” citizens if born in Taiwan. If children of NWOHR are born outside of Taiwan, they are also considered NWOHR and have certain requirements to obtain HHR.

2 Likes

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess in my head, the one-year residency is just one step of the whole application process, out of the many other steps within the application process. That’s why I didn’t understand why you would equate that with “not qualified”.

I would have worded it as “the OP is qualified, but he has to go through a lengthier application process compared to someone whose parents already had HHR at birth”.

Wait, his father did not have HHR, so during that time he was a NWOHR?

I’m asking because when I was born my father had an “inactive HHR” because he was in the US by then and hadn’t been back in Taiwan for like a decade….would having an inactive HHR still qualify me to get a Taiwan ID without residing 1 year?

I hope an inactive HHR doesn’t mean “he did not have a active HHR at my birth so I don’t qualify”.

And by inactive HHR I mean, he was born and raised in Taiwan but left in his 20s and didn’t go back to Taiwan for a decade.

Not the same thing. Your father has had HHR and ID card. The other persons father never had HHR or ID card.

Inactive HHR means that person still has had HHR. So yes like my son you can get HHR and ID without needing 1 year on a TARC.