Clarification needed

In another thread-

[quote=“MJB”]You either have 14 hours minimum a week, and 47,200Nt+ per month income, or you are illegal, period, unless you possess an JRFC or APRC.
[/quote]

My hours will be cut after CNY from 20 hours to 16 hours per week. I know this is still legal in terms of qualification for an ARC but, my monthly wage will go lower than the 47,200NT threshold (to around 40,000 to be exact) which for me is too low. Does this make me illegal or not?

Thanks

Did you see my [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/deway-and-their-spam/23706/36 in that thread[/url]?

As I said, MJB may have been mistaken on the minimum income. I think that the 47,000 or so only applies to “white-collar” jobs.

I think that the main condition for teaching is the minimum hours, though somebody in another thread mentioned something about a minimum monthly income of around 28,000.

There are a number of categories under which foreigners can be legally employed in Taiwan, among them are blue collar workers, white collar workers, teachers and others.

I agree with Dottie.

As far as foreign teachers are concerned the only requirement is the number of hours. The monthly wage is not factored in as many foreign teachers get paid hourly rates and also earn a lot more per hour than other foreign white collar workers.

The reference to NTD28,000 that Dottie has made in this thread may relate to my comment in another thread. For clarification I was not suggesting that foreign teachers need to earn a certain amount per month, I was merely pointing out that the minimum hours required by the CLA mutliplied by the average hourly wage, falls well short of the mimimum monthly amount that the CLA requires white collar workers to earn.

Therefore, provided that you maintain at least 14 hours a week then you are legal regardless of exactly what you earn.

[quote=“Funk500”]In another thread-

[quote=“MJB”]You either have 14 hours minimum a week, and 47,200Nt+ per month income, or you are illegal, period, unless you possess an JRFC or APRC.
[/quote]

My hours will be cut after CNY from 20 hours to 16 hours per week. I know this is still legal in terms of qualification for an ARC but, my monthly wage will go lower than the 47,200NT threshold (to around 40,000 to be exact) which for me is too low. Does this make me illegal or not?

Thanks[/quote]

I also need some clarification. What kind of contract do you have? Is it a contract for 20 hrs/wk? If so, wouldn’t it be there problem to find the hours and keep your contract at a salarial rate no matter how many hours you teach. Just as long as you were present from said hour to said hour. I think that would be better.

It’s amazing how an employer can take a year out of your life and have the ability to change things at the drop of a hat. :wink: