Classic car clubs

Anyone know of any classic car clubs on the island? And does anyone know if there are, do they have rallies? Anything from the turn of the last century to the 70s. Love old autos.

Not that I really know of. I love old autos too. Actually between my father and I we still own 5 classic cars back in the States. It is sad though, Taiwan doesn’t really cater to this market. First off, it is a horrible environment for classic cars and the older they are the more expensive they are to own here in Taiwan. I am sure in Taipei there might be some classic car clubs, like the old Mini Coopers but I really don’t know.

There are a couple of existing threads on it, but the consensus seems to be that there isn’t much going on.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … r#p1400299

Did you find any?

Thanks!

Turn of the last century is around 2000, isn’t it? You should be able to find a few Toyota’s still hanging on.

Don’t think there’d be many cars in Taiwan in 1900.

I have seen one or two on the streets, rarely seen anything older than 1960. Even in the ol country old car clubs and restorations are quite popular. Would love to see them on parade here. sigh

Yes I agree, some beautiful old cars…i miss them here. lucky my Father rallied a lot in the 60s and i grew up with some great cars in the garage :frowning:
Austin Healey 3000 DD300 he owned and rallied

and he used this Jaguar XK140 (still in a museum near my home)

Reliant Sabre 6 he rallied

Aston Martin DB2/4

when i found this picture the following is written with it (never read this about my Father before!)

UWL 333 was purchased new by G.F Parkes a British Gentleman racer best known for leading Jaguar to victory in the 1959 Monte Carlo Rally. The Aston was first registered in October 1953 and spent the remainder of 1953 and indeed 1954 as a road car. By day Bobby Parkes would drive the Aston to Preston Railway station where he would catch the train into Manchester to be met in Manchester by his driver who would complete the journey to the office. However in 1955 Bobby decided to race UWL 333. The car completed 10 events through the 1955 season finishing on every occasion. The most notable result came in May when the car was placed first overall in the gruelling L.A.C Morcambe Rally. Autocar remarked in 1955 that “G.H.F Parkes and his Aston Martin stood in the lead with only 105.5 marks lost.” He claimed victory by some margin. In total 1955 would bring Bobby no less than five victor’s trophies. It has also been claimed that UWL 333 took part in the 1955 Acropolis Rally and that the car was driven to and from Athens!

Turn of the last century is around 2000, isn’t it? You should be able to find a few Toyota’s still hanging on.

Don’t think there’d be many cars in Taiwan in 1900.[/quote]
=
;'-pI think you do realise I am not talking about the 2000s onwards, especially since I said “to the 70s”.

What he means to say is that anything from 2000 is considered an antique and is not rolling down the street anymore. I can count with one hand how many cars from the 90’s I’ve seen on out and about… and there will be fingers left. I almost jumped out of the car when I saw what looked like a muscle car, but it could have been a fumed induced allucination at Costco’s parking lot in Neihu.

It’s hard because of intransigent rules,which do not allow registration of the older stuff.There are a few older cars, Its a shame that,like other countries,Taiwan does not allow for the culture of Classic cars. We have a few older cars

and a 70s Mercedes in Yuanlin showroom

Don’t think there’d be many cars in Taiwan in 1900.[/quote]
=
;'-pI think you do realise I am not talking about the 2000s onwards, especially since I said “to the 70s”.[/quote]

Works both ways. You could be working backwards “to the 70’s” from 2000, and you’re likely to find more cars that way than by working forwards from around 1900 (?! and some arithmetical symbols if you like) That’d be a very exclusive car club indeed.

There a few of Chiang Kai sheks 1950’s limo’s still in Taipei, but then they’re pretty bullet proof.

I also know where there are a couple of Stuart light tanks (early 1940’s, “The Bear of Kinmen”) parked up in Tainan. They seem to have been abandoned, or at least they aren’t being guarded. Very bullet proof, and the perfect vehicle for Taiwan traffic, though probably not roadworthy without a lot of work, since they’ve apparently been in the open for a long time.

You’d need a big trailer, and a fairly big garage, but the twin Cadillac flathead engines seem to be intact, and they’re autos, so not too difficult to drive.

You might have trouble registering, but as an American import they probably dont have a record of the engine numbers, (I wonder if there’s space for two on the form?) and if the DMV guy doesn’t have a picture on his system, presumably anything goes, modwise.

Now that you mention tanks, I’ve always wondered: why with so much contact there was before, and there should have been many US Army jeeps rolling around, why is it that the only Willis I see here are on T-shirts?

In Taichung, most of the shit box cars on the road are so old, they
could qualify for classic status!

Dunno if surplus disposal happens here. Perhaps its illegal?

There was a thread about jeeps a while ago and there was a 1940’s style Willis for sale in Taiwan, IIRC. It had a military paint job but I think US Army, so perhaps not original. I’ve also seen a Mitsubishi/CMC SJ clone which might have been military surplus. The US used them in Vietnam and issued them to allies in SE Asia.

Could just be down to the traditional attitude to maintenance, though. That’d kill anything in time, even a jeep. If and when these were sold off, it’d likely have been for hard work rather than concourse parades. Farmers, construction etc.

Yep, probably you’re right.

Back to classic cars: I mean, we have guys on TW so rich they put gold wheelframes on their cars. A few golden oldies would scream class. :wink:

[quote=“Icon”]Yep, probably you’re right.

Back to classic cars: I mean, we have guys on TV so rich they put gold wheelframes on their cars. A few golden oldies would scream class. :wink:[/quote]

Yes, i have always utterly respected the American car Tuning industry and the tasteful modifications they do :popcorn:

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“Icon”]Yep, probably you’re right.

Back to classic cars: I mean, we have guys on TV so rich they put gold wheelframes on their cars. A few golden oldies would scream class. :wink:[/quote]

Yes, I have always utterly respected the American car Tuning industry and the tasteful modifications they do :popcorn:

[/quote]

:laughing: Exactly my thoughts.

But seriously, I mean, has anyone seen the allegedly gold wheelframed Rolls somewhere, I think it is in Taichung? Or is it one of those news about Taiwan that only makes it outside of Taiwan?

Whats a wheelframe?

I was guessing wheels and trim gold? eg wheel/frame. I have a few ideas :popcorn:

Sorry, I was translating directly -me no Native speaker. Wheel rim. Rims where you hang the tires. There are some fancy ones out there. A few years ago, there was this rich guy in Taichung who put gold one -not golden, but actual gold ones, as per the press release- on his fancy car -allegedly, a classic. Just to show how rich he was.