"CLASSIC" DVDs

:blush:

Are they reliable? For popular movies they seem no cheaper, but less popular ones, quite a difference?

KenTaiwan98

Tescoā€™s has the entire Twin Peaks Series on DVD.

Somewhere arounf NT$2500.

I just donā€™t trust Taiwan DVDs. For 99$ I got Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and the picture quality is horrible, like a VHS that has been copied a thousand times. The sound is bad, I have to turn it up real loud just to hear it.

I got The Maltese Falcon and Snow White for 99$ each. The quality on these is not too bad.

I bought Whoā€™s Afraid of Virginia Wolf for 399$. Picture is okay, but again I have to raise the volume very high.

Itā€™s a crap shoot. Some movies are just rip offs and then some are okay. Sometimes when they add the Chinese subtitles, I think they lose some of the sound quality. If itā€™s a movie I really want, I will try to find a region one, but of course they are three times as expensive, at least.

Where, where, where? Really want this one! :stuck_out_tongue:

I picked up Witness for the prosecution, Pygmalion and Elmer Gantry yesterday for $69 each. Havenā€™t tried them yet, but I have bought this label before, and Iā€™ve had no problems.

I thoroughly recommend the store on Heping E. Rd, Sec.1, across from Shi-Da University. They have the best overall selection Iā€™ve seen, and they keep expanding it. Picked up Hot Cat there and the quality is great.

I saw this incredible British documentary about a Mancunian girl, who chosen by two sociologists, gets given a make-over; she is taught correct elocution, bearing, table manners, etc.

Her test: A dinner with a group of single upper-class Londoners. Three men and two other women.

The men were fore-warned that there was an imposter at the table. They failed however to spot her.

A latter day Pygmalion if you will.

I got it at FNAC

Iā€™m dying to get my hands on The Night of the Hunter also. Classic film noir and the only film Laughton ever directed.

I think I saw Night of the Hunter (but donā€™t hold me to that) in a CD/DVD store on Hsingsheng S. Rd, a few doors up from Eslite. There are a couple of CD stores ā€“ you need to go to the one furthest away from Eslite. They have a load of old films. I picked up a terrible one about George Gershwin on Sunday, on account of its wonderful soundtrack (all the old favourites, plus Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris performed in their entirety by Oscar Levant), as well as West Side Story and The Mouse That Roared.
I havenā€™t watched them yet, but the quality will be shitty, Iā€™m sure. There again, at NT$69 a pop, what do you expect?

DVDā€™s. I was in the place on Hoping (Heping) just east of Jin Shan (Jinshan) last night and i picked up Gods & Monsters (I truly loved this film). There was a lot of new stuff in there but i didnā€™t have too much time to browse. Did see a copy of Promises; a brilliant docu about kids growing up in the Isreal/Pali mess. Bit gutted cos i bought this film off my DVD shop last week for a far higher price.

Wasnā€™t that broadcast on TV here a number of years ago? Excellent stuff, from what I remember.

No, itā€™s 2002.

rottentomatoes.com/m/Promises-1112764/

Canā€™t recommend it highly enough.

Sir Don (I think it was you) they also had LVTā€™s Kingdom II on DVD but be careful i think itā€™s on two seperate packages. I got home last night and found i had only bought the ā€˜hsiaā€™ copy.

Alleycat, that BBC docu series was called ā€˜Faking Itā€™ i think. I have been trying to track it down for a while but with no success.

[quote=ā€œMark0938ā€]No, itā€™s 2002.

rottentomatoes.com/m/Promises-1112764/

Canā€™t recommend it highly enough.[/quote]

Thatā€™s the one. Seeing the cover, I now remember that I rented the DVD. I just thought that as its a documentary, I must have seen it on TV. I havenā€™t had the TV hooked up for a number of years, ergoā€¦ It is very, very good though.