Classic Vehicles & Car clubs in Taiwan

I’ve recently retired to Taiwan and want to bring my 1949 Morris commercial LC3 Truck here from Sydney. any help or suggestions like classic car clubs, import companies.

Pictures or it never happened.

Jk…welcome to the grand island.

If only my brother* AND his Cuda is here lol… I’ve only driven it twice but not only do I miss driving in general, I REALLY miss the roar of an American V8 as compared to some 屁孩 revving his C320.

*From another mother

Unless the laws have changed drastically since I last looked, you could theoretically bring your car to Taiwan, but never be able to license it or drive it legally because it’s over 10 years old.

Let’s check with the expert in all things automobiles @sulavaca. What do you say “Old Black Hands”? Can he bring his 1949 truck here, license it and drive it legally? How about my 1942 Willys MB Jeep or my 1957 Chevy Bel Air or my 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang?

3 Likes

i have applied for information to import my RHD truck and the initial biggest obstacle is to over come is the RHD - i will make a submission .In many countries including Australia & UK that i know off Classic vehicle shows and Railways preservation has been so successful that State & federal governments invest money and resources and are openly supportive and have introduced a Historic vehicle rules that make it incredibly cheap to register and insure these vehicle well under $A100 a year in NSW as the risk is very low as their are limits of usage 60 times a year and for lube or servicing use mainly. These classic vehicle shows and steam festivals have been proven as a way to bring millions of dollars into small towns that host these events over the course of a years statewide. Taiwan is missing out on this golden opportunity to save small towns form going broke as the Tourist factor is huge. it all starts with clubs and approaching your local member of parliament as a body.

1 Like

There’s a 10 year rule for registration of vehicles in Taiwan? So if it’s over 10 year old you can’t register it at all?

But what’s all the old ass Toyota I keep seeing from the early 2000s?

If that’s true then Taiwan society doesn’t like old stuff.

I’m sure classic cars need serious work and costs more to keep running than a new car though. I heard there are electric vehicle conversion kits for classic cars, like a motor and battery/computers for it while throwing out all the engine, fuel tank, transmission and all that…

There’s a plan to allow cars that are over 35 years old (1989 as of this reply in 2024) to be registered.

Maybe the loophole is that you can KEEP it in the system, but you can’t ADD an older (non-vintage per above?) car.

1 Like

Actually, this probably belongs in the custom car thread, but is there a DeLorean anywhere in Taiwan?

Maybe we keep seeing old ass Toyotas around because they’re good cars… as in they last forever. I remember my sister driving a Camry for a long time and it never had any major problems. Can’t say the same about American cars…

For foreign imports, duh. NOT cars that are already here in Taiwan and have been here since forever.

I am able to import my cars from America, but only for display. No licensing and no driving. But, what’s the point then? Laws have to change, but here is Taiwan and people only want the newest, shiniest bobble to show off how rich they are.

The other day I actually saw a 1945 Ford GPW from back in WWII and it’s still on the road and registered.

There’ also a M171 MUTT in my town that’s still registered and running and still has the JinMen plates on it. I’ll look for the pictures I took.

There’s also a cool guy in ShiMen Township who drives a classic 70’s black Cedric. Still licensed and running well.

1 Like

Don’t they still use those M48 Patton tanks? I think my dad drove one of those before. Not that tanks would do much good in Taiwan.

I’d say military hardware here can be considered “classic cars”.

Fuck this. Only on Sundays and other designated days? Stupid.

When I’m back in the States I daily drive my '42, my '57 and my 64 1/2 depending on my mood and weather. If it’s rainy and shitty, I drive my classic '92 Ford Explorer.

And now you’ve devolved into the realm of ridiculousness.

This is complete BS.

What if the original factory no longer exists? Like say if you’re importing a DeLorean?

Then it can’t happen?

Taiwanese laws really do not want to preserve history. They want to erase it.

Wait…laws are supposed to make sense??

Got any Holden V8s?

To church and back only.

1 Like

And only for little old ladies. :wink:

2 Likes

No sir. The only super car I ever owned was a red Ferrari 308 gtsi back in the early 90s. Sold that long ago. Insurance was super high and proper tuning and repair was stupid expensive.

I’ve got a few other cars that are considered “Classic” based on the age, but many people would disagree based on the car.

I’m primarily a collector of the first generation NA Mazda MX-5 (Miata) years 1990-1993 1.5 engines. Not interested in the 1.8 for years 1994-1997 or any other generations. All my MX-5s are all original, un-modified and unrestored, but they look new. The MX-5 = the every man’s convertible sports car. Affordable and reliable however impractical.

I’m looking to purchase a Japanese import called a Suzuki Cappuccino to add to my collection this coming summer when I’m back in the States.

I’ve also got a 1972 Toyota Hilux pick up truck. Total piece of shit that just won’t die! Love it. I call it my “LowLux”. Also a 1992 Ford Taurus sedan for Costco runs and shitty weather.

2 Likes

Super cars are not known for low operating cost, and insurance is crazy high because they assume you’ll drive at dangerous speeds. If you want affordable, Toyota Camry is what you’d buy.

Toyota seems to be known for that, probably why we still see Toyota from early 2000s on the street. They’re cheap too.

Speaking of classic cars has anyone thought to turn them into electric with conversion kits? You’d lose the engine, tranny, and gas tank. Maybe have a thing where it plays v8 engine sound through the car sound system.

Many classic cars don’t have ac, how would you drive those in the summer?

I hear ya… I have a '17 Explorer, but I also had fairly free access to my brother’s '73 'Cuda.

2 Likes