Classical Guitar

All the Scarlatti songs I have are too difficult for me to play. But this one might be doable. I like it a lot. It’s my next project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-bQbqfwHc

Could John W. make it look like any more of a casual walk in the park? God, I love/hate that guy. Have you seen (or heard) his Barrios repertoire? It’s inspiring and discouraging at the same time. Good luck on the Scarlatti.

Lovely! I look forward to hearing your version. :slight_smile:

I haven’t heard that one, but he is super. He doesn’t tour much anymore, but he did come to Taipei a few years ago. And I missed it.

You should hear me doing that one on my Les Paul with the gain on the Marshall stack turned all the way up. GNARLY!

I like to play Fugue in D Minor with a lot of distortion. It’s righteous.

Play Freebird!!

This is the one I’m working on now. It’s originally a piano piece, but now a fairly standard learners tune. It helps develop technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A

I can do about the first 50 seconds. It’s very calming and almost hypnotic.

And here’s one I wish I had the music to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdd6WkY3zA

I can’t open vids at work but I assume you mean Joaquim Malats : Serenata Española; according to the delcamp scores index they have that one here:
[url=http://www.delcamp.us/download/file.php?id=20195]delcamp_volume9.pdf/url. If you can’t open that, see the reason further below.

and there is a free pdf version here as well:
www2.free-scores.com/PUBLIC/kb/RiBS1022.pdf

In case you don’t know, delcamp.us/ is a large classical guitar forum, and the site founder has put a large amount of public domain notation (see the bottom of the index page), arranged by difficulty level such as the high-difficulty level 9 pieces here, in pdf files available for free download to active users who achieve a certain post count. After achieving that post count (note: high quality posts are required), you can print them out and have them spiral bound so that they’ll lay flat on your music stand, or you could just play them off your monitor.

Hey thanks Dragonbones. I’ll check it out.

Yeah, so am I. Noad 1, which is my main method book, offers an excerpt of that piece, which probably roughly corresponds to the section you describe, fairly early (TOO early, many have complained). Do you have Noad 1? In case not, this is a decent little study transcribed so that you can play it in the first position, and it is a real pleasure to play. I also tried an arrangement of the original in about the 7th position tonight, and it is of course more challenging (translation: I sucked duck eggs).

If you know anything about classical guitar you’ll probably have heard the names of the famous luthiers (Hauser, Fleta, Ramirez etc.) that make the guitars played by the famous artists (Segovia, Williams, Parkening, Bream etc.). This is just a heads up to let CG lovers know that there’s a fantastic new CD out in which a large collection of original instruments by these and other famous luthiers are played side by side, and recorded very professionally and faithfully (no editing, reverb etc.) by John Taylor so that you can clearly hear the wonderful variety of sound qualities of the various guitars. It’s a classical guitar candy box! Just search for “The Sound of Spain”, David Merrin guitarist, Granary Guitars collection; it’s available on ebay from Granary Guitars, and at Amazon UK… It comes with a nice 35-page book with pics and descriptions of all the guitars, too. :thumbsup:

Here’s a list by composer: piece - luthier

1. Sor: Minuet in A major - Antonio de Lorca
  2. Sor: Study in E minor - Louis Panormo
  3. Tárrega: Gran Vals - Agustín Altimira
  4. Tárrega: Capricho Arabe - Vicente Arias
  5. Llobet: Canço del Lladre - Manuel Ramírez
  6. Albéniz: Granada - Enrique Garcia
  7. Granados: Spanish Dance No. 10 - Francisco Simplicio
  8. Torroba: Nocturno - Hermann Hauser I
  9. Turina: Garrotín - Santos Hernández
  10. Turina: Soleares - Arcángel Fernández
  11. Albéniz: Cádiz - Domingo Esteso
  12. Granados: Spanish Dance No. 5 - Robert Bouchet
  13. Albéniz: Capricho Catalán - Ignacio Fleta
  14. Granados: La Maja de Goya - Miguel Rodriguez
  15. Granados: Spanish Dance No. 4 - Hernández y Aguado
  16. Torroba: Sonatina 1st movement - Manuel Contreras
  17. Albéniz: Asturias - Daniel Friederich
  18. Mompou: Canción - José Ramírez III
  19. Albéniz: Córdoba - José Romanillos & Son

This is Segovia playing Chopin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsTrVr728fA

Very pretty and it doesn’t sound too difficult.

Valses Poeticos by Granados
I just like to say the name of this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4k08OD8lW8

I used to play part of this. About the last minute of this video. I noticed the music was in the DelCamp section 7.
Slow songs are not necessarily easier to play.

Lagrima is a tear drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jot7Q9n7L9U

It’s so pretty.

This is a public service announcement to students of classical guitar, especially for those who do not have a teacher.

Professor Jean-François Delcamp at the Brest Conservatory of Music, Dance and Drama, Brest, France, has once again generously arranged a series of [color=#0000FF] FREE online classical guitar lessons [/color] corresponding to the first four years at music school. The lessons, which commence Sept. 6, and associated discussion forums are available in English, French, Italian and Spanish. Prof. Delcamp will arrange the course materials, and students will study these, upload videos or audio recordings of themselves playing, and students listen to or view these and comment to help each other, with some limited comments from the Professor. The progressive nature of the lessons, time pressure and feedback are all very valuable, in my experience. For further information on how to register, please see
English course: delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023
Spanish course: delcamp.info/viewtopic.php?p=93742#p93742
French course: delcamp.fr/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=24282
Italian course: delcamp.it/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=23163

The courses range from beginner to upper intermediate level, I think. If you’ve worked your way through the first quarter of Noad book 1, for instance, you won’t have any problem joining level 1, and if you’ve made it 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through Noad 1, you can probably try level 2 instead.

To continue the revival of a dead thread…
Additional Public Service announcement: The Romeros in Taipei (new version, Celin, Pepe, 2 of the kids, but still quite good)! Oct 2 at the National concert hall, courtesy of the MRT adverts.
Additionally, I brought a ton of duet rep with me - ranging from pretty easy to fucking scary - so if any of ya’ll would like to play, I’m always game. Or if you’re stuck in a rut with playing, I can trade lessons for “show me around the city.” Are there any Classical Guitar goings-on here in Taipei? I need something to keep my chops up other than my sketchy practice habits…

I made a playlist of Giuliani songs.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7FFB121A8D7CA35

I’m making a playlist of all the songs in my Guitar Classics book. It will probably take a long time, and the book is arranged in chronological order, so the early ones are old lute tunes that don’t always translate well to guitar. I’m surprised I found all of them so far, (one of them is on banjo) and most are from people playing on they couch. If anyone wants to check the progress, I will keep updating it when I feel industrious.
youtube.com/watch?v=eDmJHHie … ature=plcp

Koshkin Guitar Duo plays
A.Ginastera - Milonga, Transcription for two guitars by Nikita Koshkin,
Koshkin Guitar Duo (Olga Kamornik & Asya Selyutina)
“Cancion del arbol del olvido”
youtu.be/UWxCfm8Apsg