Cleaning bike parts

What do you guys use to clean your bike parts with, I do not want to use the degreasers you get in bike shops here (too expensive for my liking LOL). I have used mineral spirits and kerosene in the past (I prefer mineral spirits)but I can’t find mineral spirits here.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Kerosene is very good for the chain and gears, it degreases but leaves a thin film of oil, whereas degreasers when rinsed with water leaves moisture that can cause oxidation.

I would use kerosene regularly if I could stand the smell. I use mostly non-aromatic naptha instead–not as good as kerosene as it tends to leave the parts dry, which is not good for the chain rings, etc. However I do make sure to lube the chain properly after a clean.

Non-aromatic naptha is about 45+ $NT at RT Mart. It’s a bit more pricey at petrol stations.

BTW, get a funnel and paper coffee filters and recycle the kerosene, or naptha if you choose. The filter removes most of the heavier particles allowing you to reuse the liquid.
Cheers

Wookie I thought about using naptha, I used it for my camp stove already!! I was not sure about it as I thought as you mentioned it is makes things pretty dry, so good lube is needed.

I use Finish Line (wax) chain lube, and regularly clean and maintain the chains. The chain on my touring bike has 4,000 kms + and the one on my mountain bike has more than 5,000, both are still in great condition.

Hmm I managed to damage my frame within 3 weeks - which begs the question why clean them if they are disposable? Anyway don’t they come back clean when you have them serviced?

I recently used paraffin to clean my chain and just left the container open on my balcony in the hope it would evaporate so I can just toss the bottle away but it’s not working!

I’ll use WD40 next time!

[quote=“jaame”]I recently used paraffin to clean my chain and just left the container open on my balcony in the hope it would evaporate so I can just toss the bottle away but it’s not working!

I’ll use WD40 next time![/quote]

You’ve got to be kidding.
WD-40 is a powerful solvent. It should not be used to clean your drive train!

WD-40 will get to the inside of the rings of your chain and actually repel any lubricant you apply after the cleaning. It will strip away any existing lubricant and leave your drive train dry – metal on metal.

If you can stand the smell, use kerosene, which will leave a film of lubricant on the moving parts of your chain. If not, paraffin is a good option.

Whatever you use, get a funnel and coffee filters. Filter the paraffin or kerosene into a glass container and reuse. You will lose some of the liquid, but one bottle can be used numerous times. Good for your chain and the environment.

WD40 leaves something on your chain, I know because I used to get it on my trousers a lot. I know it’s intended as a cleaner rather than a lubricant but it has some lubricant properties as it’s oil.

I actually prefer to run my drivetrain pretty dry because it’s the cleanest way. I’ve been doing it like that for a long time and I’ve never broken a chain. It’s noisy and wears everything quicker but at least my trousers stay clean!

See, there’s your problem: wearing trousers to ride a bike.

Invest in a chainguard or trouser clips, they’re much cheaper than new cogs, chainrings, and chain…

[quote=“jaame”]WD40 leaves something on your chain, I know because I used to get it on my trousers a lot. I know it’s intended as a cleaner rather than a lubricant but it has some lubricant properties as it’s oil.

I actually prefer to run my drivetrain pretty dry because it’s the cleanest way. I’ve been doing it like that for a long time and I’ve never broken a chain. It’s noisy and wears everything quicker but at least my trousers stay clean![/quote]

Can’t argue with, er…logic? :laughing:

I know what you mean but I think when you ride off road as I used to you could choose between the following:

1. Oil the chain, shit sticks to it, everything wears out, your trousers can get dirty.
  2. Don’t oil the chain, everything wears out, your trousers don’t get dirty.

I worked as a bike mechanic for four years in my teens, you know just weekends and full time in holidays. I paid cost price for everything and I was into changing parts all the time anyway before they were worn out.

Now I have the problem of having to pay full price, but having a 2 year old daughter who likes to get her hands on everything so the no oil technique is still employed!

I rarely wear trousers to ride a bike now like so maybe oil can make a return when Bubu stops mauling everything. I do use that dry wax on my wife’s bike actually, but just a bit to keep it quiet.

[quote=“Wookiee”]Kerosene is very good for the chain and gears, it degreases but leaves a thin film of oil, whereas degreasers when rinsed with water leaves moisture that can cause oxidation.

I would use kerosene regularly if I could stand the smell. I use mostly non-aromatic naptha instead–not as good as kerosene as it tends to leave the parts dry, which is not good for the chain rings, etc. However I do make sure to lube the chain properly after a clean.

Cheers[/quote]

I’ve read that most de-greasers, you have to be careful not to get them on your frame or at least wipe them off quickly. Is this true of naptha too?

If any of you are still thinking of using WD-40 to “lube” your chain …

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

B.