Clearing plates away

Back when I was a lad, there were some rules at the dinner table.

Nobody starts eating until everyone is ready. No elbows on the table, no talking with your mouth full, etc.

And, and this is really important, no one has finished until everyone has finished. You sit there with your empty plate until all the plates can be cleared at the same time.

There was a simple reason for this, which is that by clearing your own plate away you’re pressuring other people to finish up quickly. Instead of relaxing and chatting, you’re spoiling their enjoyment of their food. It’s rude.

In restaurants the rules were the same. The staff would wait until everyone had finished before takling away anyone’s plates. It’s not lazy, it’s considerate. A server could get seriously reprimanded for harassing a customer by taking away one person’s plate while another at the same table was still eating.

I was always uncomfortable eating out in the USA. It seemed like you couldn’t put your fork down for a moment without some hovering waiter trying to snatch your plate out from under your nose. There were occasions where I actually had to say something like “Oi! I haven’t finished eating that.” I can be a slow eater too, and would often feel quite harassed by the fact that I wa fighting for possession of my food while my friends were checking out the dessert menu that had been thrust into their hands.

Food should be a liesurely sociable activity, not a bloody competition.

Sadly, it seems that Taiwan has adopted the ‘snatch it’ approach rather than the ‘savout it’ approach.

What do others think?

like it or not, life is a little busier than way back when … can you imagine anyone getting away with yapping on a cell phone at a dinner table some 15 years ago?

not saying that i like it, though.

One of my pet peeves. I could never understand those waiters who tried to take my plate away when I was obviously not finished with it. If I want my remaining food boxed up to take home, let ME initiate it.

I don’t mind at all, as long as the wait folk also bring an ashtray so I can smoke while the slow eaters finish. :raspberry:

HG

Loretta, there is an empty glass of what was once a pint of Bacardi & Coke on the bar which people had to dance around last night. You didn’t give us the nod to remove it so I am asking you now if it would be possible as all cleaning operations have come to halt until we figure out what do do with your glass

Please advise.

Many Thanks,

Yours sincerely,

Bob Marshall
General Manager

Wasn’t complaining about your esteemed establishment, you silly bugger. I’m sure your indomitable staff can figure it out. They get most things right, all they need is for you to keep out of their way. After all, without Bohemian Bob confusing people it’s pretty easy to see that a customer has left. They just have to check under the tables and in the bathroom to make sure he’s not sleeping somewhere. If the guy’s not there, he’s not going to be affronted when his glass disappears.

And being harassed because your glass is empty is not always a bad thing anyway. People might resist having an empty glass replenished, which is what usually happens, but how often do you hear them actually complain when it does? It’s a bit different from being forced to sit there with an expanse of empty table in front of you while your friend shovels pasta into their cake-hole to try and keep up and keep the staff happy.

I should remind you that, despite all your other failings, you usually make a point of not sitting with people who are eating if you don’t have a chip butty in your pocket that you can munch on at the same time. You obviously understand the issue.

When the staff actually ask if they can/should take your plate it’s not really an issue. Can’t complain at people taking an interest in my comfort and welfare, can I? Places (like TGI Fridays) where the staff are too eager to make room for the next customer are more annoying. It really gets on my tits when people grab my plate while simultaneously asking if I’m done with it, not waiting for an answer before moving in.

I’m engaged in a social activity. Please don’t disturb our meal until we’ve both finished. Why is that so hard?

Oh, and Xtrain: "like it or not, life is a little busier than way back when … " - the point for me is that a good meal is taking time out from the busy life to enjoy some good food and company. There shouldn’t be any hurry, unless of course the artist in the kitchen has just brought his latest creation to the pinnacle of its perfection and it has to be crammed into my gob before it melts.

The same rules applied to my upbringing in the USA. A few American restaurants rush a diner in the way that you describe, but they are hardly the majority. I have had service that was just as brusque in London. Whether either country’s standard can be expected to apply in Taiwan is, of course, an entirely different matter.

My pet peeve is with the all-too-eager-to-help-out, motherly-type customer who has the habit of stacking up everyone’s empty plates to save the server the trouble, dumping all the leftovers into one pile in the process. I’m like, we’re paying them to take away our empty plates and clear the table, so sit back and enjoy the service. :unamused:

[quote=“Loretta”]
Oh, and Xtrain: "like it or not, life is a little busier than way back when … " - the point for me is that a good meal is taking time out from the busy life to enjoy some good food and company. There shouldn’t be any hurry, unless of course the artist in the kitchen has just brought his latest creation to the pinnacle of its perfection and it has to be crammed into my gob before it melts.[/quote]

actually, i was agreeing with you, while making a point that life is busier now, and people often don’t make time to sit down and have a good meal with friends or family. you did see the last line of my post?

but don’t let that stop you from finding something to criticize about my post :laughing:

Yup. And the server’s thinking essentially the same thing: “Relax and let me do what I’m paid to do.”

One of my biggest peeves here (other than the snatching away of plates I haven’t finished with, which I also loathe) is the way the food doesn’t get served at the same time to all diners. I’ve had times where my eating partner had already finished his food before mine even got to the table. I won’t let him wait, because then his food gets cold. I just think it’s bizarre to serve this way.

One of the most uncomfortable Asian dining experiences for me was in Shenzhen at a dim sum restaurant. Four wait staff hovered around our table the entire meal, whisking plates away the second the last crumb was eaten, immediately filling empty teacups as they were placed on the table. I wanted to scream “Go away and let me eat!” but they were being so diligent about it…

Or when all the food DOES get served at the same time to all diners…appetizers, salads, soups, entrees… Has TGIFridays improved any in that regard since I left Taiwan? That was a constant source of irritation before. I mean, why mark them “appetizers” (for which there is a perfectly understandable word in Chinese, it’s not like the concept doesn’t exist) if you’re going to drop them on the table with the main course? :loco: I foresee one huge, unitary menu with the single heading “FOOD” or maybe “STUFF YOU CAN ORDER.”

TGIF. Now there’s a big waste of money. What are ribs? 800 NT?

One thing I find annoying is when you don’t get served your drink until the meal comes. Can’t remember if that was a problem anywhere in Taiwan, but it happens in Korea. You have to train them to get your beer to the table ASAP at some establishements. Nothing more annoying than waiting for your beer.

“C’mon, c’mon! Yeah, yeah, yeah! Let’s get that beer! C’mon!” Bunch of weirdos.

[quote=“j99l88e77”]TGIF. Now there’s a big waste of money. What are ribs? 800 NT?
[/quote] That’s why I hardly ever go to TGIF. For similar fare but much more reasonable prices, go to Bongos near Taida. The used books section in the back is great for browsing while you wait for your food.

we went to M&L (taoyuaners should know) for mother’s day - usually a great place with good food.

they had a “mother’s day menu” all done up (at mother’s day prices), but no coordination. add in 2 new servers, who did make an effort, but were lost in the sea of people, and twas a bit of a sham.

salads came out - first 3 of them, and then 2 five minutes later. 3 soups, and then 1. main courses were no better - 1 (mine :laughing: ), then 2 five minutes later, then the last 2 ten minutes after that. the last soup came when everyone was finishing their drinks (which did come all together :bravo: ).

don’t think the inlaws saw what a great place it can be …