Climate Change Kills Polar Bears hahahahahahahah

What is this? Stealing candy from a baby hour?

Okay, you tell me why you think that the IPCC research and reports are all that and I will pretend that you have been living under a media blackout rock for the past five to six years and have heard nary a wimper of the numerous scandals that have engulfed this effort.

Again, I am giving you a chance to save yourself here. Let me repeat: Do you REALLY want to defend the IPCC reports here and now or would you rather do a few google searches to understand what I will be throwing right back at you in mere minutes…[/quote]

Fred, are we going to play that game again? I asked you a straightforward question. There was no implicit message or innuendo involved. I am not defending anything -at least not at this point.

If you feel that the IPCC reports are fundamentally flawed - as opposed to containing a few flaws - then let’s hear it why.

If you have a better source of scientific knowledge on GW that the IPCC let us know.

[quote]Fred, are we going to play that game again? I asked you a straightforward question. There was no implicit message or innuendo involved. I am not defending anything -at least not at this point.

If you feel that the IPCC reports are fundamentally flawed - as opposed to containing a few flaws - then let’s hear it why.

If you have a better source of scientific knowledge on GW that the IPCC let us know.[/quote]

Big John: You can search for these yourself :slight_smile: Have a nice day :slight_smile:

You have to provide information yourself before asking it of others.

[quote=“fred smith”][quote]Fred, are we going to play that game again? I asked you a straightforward question. There was no implicit message or innuendo involved. I am not defending anything -at least not at this point.

If you have a better source of scientific knowledge on GW that the IPCC let us know.[/quote]

Big John: You can search for these yourself :slight_smile: Have a nice day :slight_smile:

You have to provide information yourself before asking it of others. [/quote]

Well, then you have not supported you assertion in any way. As usual.

The IPCC, whatever its flaws, is the highest level academic body in the world to examine climate change related material on a worldwide level.

If you are saying that it is fundamentally flawed, then the onus is on you to explain how.

Can’t do it in 3 succinct points? Can’t do it Fred? After all the time you have spent on this thread?

I should know better than to respond to any thread started by Fred. But what the heck…

Want to know what’s going on right now with the Arctic Ocean floating ice cap? One picture is worth a thousand words:

This graph, based on satellite photos, gets updated daily. View it at this link:

ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

I would suggest that anyone who is interested in this topic should view this link everyday until the sea ice melt season is over (around mid to late September), because it’s getting very “exciting.” Summer 2012 is turning out to be an unprecedented disaster in the Arctic.

It’s not just about polar bears. By the way, I don’t even like polar bars, and don’t care if they go extinct. It’s people I care about, and if the sea ice melt continues at this rate, they too may be going extinct, sooner rather than later.

Now run along Big John… Unless you can find the information, there is no point to discussing this further. As usual, you have failed to provide any information. I will wait for you to get your act together as usual.

No, it’s not just about polar bears, but I see that line “I care about people” way too much, and it bothers me. Debates like this happen because we think humans are somehow separate, that they stand above it all, pulling the strings of technology and creating their own destiny. This is, frankly, complete bollocks - we are as much at the mercy of nature as polar bears. The all-powerful homo sapiens is just a convenient fiction that TBTB love to propagate, because it justifies their existence. You, I, and fred are alive right now because of a bunch of microbes that live in, on and around our bodies. We don’t even know what most of them are or what they do, because we’ve only just started seriously researching them - but we do know that if they all suddenly disappeared, we’d die.

Aside from that very direct symbiosis, we are reliant (at various degrees of remove) on the entire biosphere around us. I was reading an article the other day about some researchers who removed mistletoe from trees and observed the effect on biodiversity - briefly, everything turned to shit. And that’s just bloody mistletoe. Nobody knows exactly what function polar bears serve, in the grand scheme of things. If they disappeared, maybe there’d be a huge epidemic of penguins, which in turn would cause a sudden excess of Jessica Albas. Who knows?

While I agree that the problem with polar bears is far more complex than climate change (Bjørn Lomborg does a fairly good analysis of that topic) it’s daft to dismiss their importance just because you don’t like them. I don’t much like people. Most of them are just a bunch of drooling mouthbreathers who look ugly and get in my way. Fuck 'em. But I’d probably be sad if I saw them going extinct.

Finley, I think you’re reading more into my remark than was intended. The obnoxious title of this thread is “Climate Change Kills Polar Bears hahahahahahahah.” I assume that Fred Smith’s point (aside from displaying his ignorance) is that the greenie liberal leftists are up to no good again because they care more about polar bears than people. They want people to stop using fossil fuels and starve to death just to preserve the Arctic ice so that cutsie polar bears can pose for Greenpeace posters.

But of course, the polar ice caps aren’t melting - the world is getting cooler, those satellite photos showing melting ice are faked by NASA (the same organization that faked the Moon landing). The whole “global warming hoax” was created by Al Gore, George Soros and Nancy Pelosi, in league with paid-off so-called “climatologists” (a pseudo-science), the IPCC is a Muslim-Communist organization in league with Obama and gay marriage activists, to create a New World Order based on socialized medicine. Or something like that - it’s not easy to follow American conservative “logic,” especially since it changes from day-to-day according to what Fox News and Rush Limbaugh decide is “the truth.” Don’t be surprised if tomorrow Limbaugh says that the world is actually warming, but it’s because of all those solar panels that are heating up the earth. Furthermore, all those wind towers are slowing down the wind, thus denying us cooling breezes, and therefore causing these devastating heat waves, droughts and fires.

As you might imagine, I don’t agree with the above.

As for my point: I’m not in love with polar bears. I have no plans to visit the Arctic and pose for photos with them, or hug them (not a wise thing to do in any case). But I’m not suggesting that we send Apache helicopters to the Arctic and machine gun the polar bears either. That said, the recent cases of polar bears drowning due to melting sea ice is worrisome. It’s one of those “canary in a coal mine” issues. Canaries were brought into coal mines to see if the air was breathable - if a canary drops dead, the coal miners should be concerned, and not because they love canaries.

So yes, we ought to care about what happens to polar bears, if for no other reason than self-interest.

Now run along Big John… Unless you can find the information, there is no point to discussing this further. As usual, you have failed to provide any information. I will wait for you to get your act together as usual.[/quote]

Big John didn’t make any claims, all he did was ask you a question. He doesn’t need to provide any info. And I too would be interested in your answer fred.

@Fred:

For what it’s worth, if you could sum up your criticisms of the IPCC in something like 3-4 points, I would be genuinely interested in hearing what you had to say, and would keep an open mind.

Why big john why? What is with your fetish about openminded-ness?

Why big john why? What is with your fetish about openminded-ness?[/quote]

Because it is useful in discovering truth.

Bill Nye caused hurricane Isaac! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
According to Todd Akin. And then the Science Guy went off on him on TV. I’d like to see the video.

[quote]“So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I’ll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I’m done whipping.”
Nye apologized once more for his language before ripping off his microphone and walking off the set.[/quote]
dailycurrant.com/2012/08/30/bill … es-debate/

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Bill Nye caused hurricane Isaac! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
According to Todd Akin. And then the Science Guy went off on him on TV. I’d like to see the video.

[quote]“So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I’ll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I’m done whipping.”
Nye apologized once more for his language before ripping off his microphone and walking off the set.[/quote][/quote]
Edit: Mod informs me that this was just satire. I thought it was a news story. My apologies.

Now run along Big John… Unless you can find the information, there is no point to discussing this further. As usual, you have failed to provide any information. I will wait for you to get your act together as usual.[/quote]

You implied that the IPCC was a poorly researched effort. I asked you why. You obviously can’t answer. Pretty straightforward eh wot?

Yes, we are waiting for your response. Let me know when you find an answer to my question.

Yes, we are waiting for your response. Let me know when you find an answer to my question.[/quote]

Fred, with respect to your statement, there is no “we” here, only you.

What response are you waiting for? I asked you a question, and instead of answering, you give me the usual runaround. No surprise here: you are a guy who seems utterly unable to be straightforward in an intellectual conversation. BTW, this is usually a hallmark of lesser minds bent on proving themselves great at the expense of others, rather than someone of authentic intellect who seeks the truth.

You claim to be superior, yet cannot even answer a simple question: what in your view is so bad about the IPCC?

So you are nothing? I am talking to no one and nothing? Okay. This is starting to make sense now.

The response that I asked you for.

I asked you a question.

Running around is lots of fun, apparently, you think. (take the second sentence in all its variations please :slight_smile: )

I am not surprised that you turned out to be no one and nothing. There is only I. I see. I understand. I enjoy.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Or… what could the alternative be? Or in your words, I should say what would the OTHER alternative be? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

with good reason (deliberate double meaning again. Yet again!)

Why is it that you cannot answer a simple question. We are all waiting.

Yes.

Well Fred I can see from your farcical response that you are an intellectual clown. What an interesting thing you are!

So… does that mean that you are not going to answer the question? Why won’t you ANSWER the question? I think that we all know why…

So… does that mean that you are not going to answer the question? Why won’t you ANSWER the question? I think that we all know why…[/quote]

You didn’t ask me a question. I asked you a question: what is so wrong with the IPCC that you would assert to Fortigurn that they were a badly researched effort?

Please answer, or, as you seem to like being an intellectual clown, you could do another little pass along the front of the stage on your unicycle and give another “Honk! Honk!” on your clown horn to make the right wing kids in the front row laugh.