Clothing/book resale in Taipei?

I will be moving in a few months and am looking for a places where I can resell clothing and books, (similar to Buffalo Exchange, used bookstores in the States). I have seen a few, very few, re-used/“vintage” clothing stores in Taipei but they all seem to be curated. I would rather try and give some nice pieces a new home if I can, and don’t care enough to photograph and sell individually through an app. I have seen bins near my apartment building as well, where one can “donate” unwanted garments, but I am pretty sure they would end up sent en masse to a thirder world country or a fiber recycler. these are good clothes.

please dont talk about clothing and garment cycles in response to this.

I found it too much hassle to sell my books when making space for the pool table, so I donated them to the Taipei library system.

If you don’t want to do this, and the few vintage shops in Taipei don’t want to buy your clothes, then unfortunately you don’t really have other options. Taiwanese people can be a bit superstitious about secondhand goods, so thrift stores and used bookstores aren’t nearly as mainstream here. Makes me sad because I really enjoy sifting through Goodwill and the like…it’s one of the main things I miss when I’m here.

I think the most popular app here is carousell, so if you reconsider selling via app then you could try that. Or maybe you could arrange a yard sale of sorts? Not quite sure about the legality of this one.

For books you can try Mollie:

@molliestore FB

Clothes will be difficult due to local superstition. If large sized there is an exchange group but other than that, well, the Internet is your friend. Yahoo Kimo is more foreigner friendly in my experience.

Other spaces to sell the stuff youirself is the Tianmu Circle Market or the Water Park Market in Gongguan.

1 Like

Do the hospitals take books, there must be a few “english readers” who have to stay in after medical interventions?

Donate it to the ‘foreigner’ detention center in Sanxia. If they accept it.

2 Likes

Next to Taipower MRT station: walk into Shida road, pass the Wellcome on your right. Within 20 meters there’s a stairs to this 2nd hand bookstore. Been there for years. Not cheap but that’s how it can survive. But perhaps better for you selling your books.

Not really.

Second suggestion to donate to jail or library system.

There is a page on Facebook where the institutions post their needs for example ‘need children’s clothes, women’s etc’ . You can ship to the institution directly and they will be very happy, you will get satisfaction to know whom you are donating to and that the clothes do not end up being resold in some market. If you are interested I can look up the page fore you. Shipping big packages from post office costs 80nt for all over Taiwan. I ship to the institutions all the time. Easy and satisfying.