Clubbing on weeknights

What’s the current Taipei scene like for going clubbing on the weeknights? My experience is basically limited to Luxy/Mint and a couple other places, but I’ve only really gone out on the weekends here. My experience in Chicago was that going out on weeknights was always more fun, people seemed to be more laid back. Not to mention the fact that cover charges were lower or zero on weeknights, not sure if Taipei is the same. Any advice is much appreciated.

Well you can see by the overwhelming response that Forumosans are quite… well you know… busy preparing for their 7am Kindergarten class.

Weeknights are nothing special here. Thursday’s at Brass Monkey for drunken overweight Anglos. Carnegie’s on Wed. for the same, but with a much better vibe. Luxy is my fav on weekdays. Chic and stylish.

I have only a basic idea on whats available for bar/club life during the weekdays as I am not in Taipei yet. But here is a link to Taiwan Nights its the best nightlife site that I have found. I cant vouch for its accuracy or if any of the venues are a rocking as advertised (it is advertising after all) but it gives me hope. Worst case scenario is that it is like any other city, only way to find the hot spots is to hit every spot you can during the weekends, then the weekdays and ask around. Sooner or later you will find the groove.

PS. Here is the link to the Club list, most have a website that you can check out. Clubs

Well you can see by the overwhelming response that Forumosans are quite… well you know… busy preparing for their 7am Kindergarten class.

Weeknights are nothing special here. Thursday’s at Brass Monkey for drunken overweight Anglos. Carnegie’s on Wed. for the same, but with a much better vibe. Luxy is my fav on weekdays. Chic and stylish.[/quote]

I don’t go clubbing on weeknights because I need to be alert (and sober) and at the office around 06h30 for a daily management briefing. In the Science Park.

But, I do have some friends who go out on weeknights at around 11pm and stay out until it’s time for work. :astonished: :loco: Me, I’m not strong enough.

Good god! Now I’ve seen it all I think. :astonished:

Though not a club in the same sense that Luxy and Mint are, Roxy 99 near Guting station has this thing on wednesday nights: if you get in before 11 you 1) don’t pay an entrance fee, and 2) get 4 free drinks.

So basically, free drinks on wednesday. Work or no, that draws the people in. But it’s the kind of people who appreciate free beer (ie. mostly students).

Monday and Tuesday, aside from lounge bars I’m not sure where to go.
Wedensdays, ladies night at Luxy, Room 18, Mint, Carnegie’s, and Lava (younger, 18-25 crowd). All pretty crowded.
Thursdays, Brass Monkey, Lava, and Baby 18 have specials and are crowded. The latter two are also a younger crowd.
Sundays (if you can call it a weeknight), Plush has an “all you can drink B-52” night upon paying entrance fee. Not sure if that’s a good thing, or a very very bad thing!

[quote=“Wacow”]Monday and Tuesday, aside from lounge bars I’m not sure where to go.
Wedensdays, ladies night at Luxy, Room 18, Mint, Carnegie’s, and Lava (younger, 18-25 crowd). All pretty crowded.
Thursdays, Brass Monkey, Lava, and Baby 18 have specials and are crowded. The latter two are also a younger crowd.
Sundays (if you can call it a weeknight), Plush has an “all you can drink B-52” night upon paying entrance fee. Not sure if that’s a good thing, or a very very bad thing![/quote]

Lounge bars… which are any good? Something similar to Velours in Omotesando, Tokyo would be great if anyone knows it. Need something else than hiphip/r&b clubs and the utter unpretentiousness of Carnegies etc.

I think the problem about clubbing in Taipei is not that it’s difficult to find cheap drinks, cool ambiances or attractive patrons, but rather that it’s hard to find good music. I mean, Luxy occasionally has good music, but they are very inconsistent. Even “rocker” 99 plays the most ridiculous Hip Pop on Saturday nights. I mean, where can you go for good music, on any day of the week? Don’t even start with Carnegies or the Brass Monkey. I know the owners of both bars and like them as people, but I detest the music 97% of the time. That’s the main reason I don’t like clubbing in Taipei. So, I go to “talking bars” instead. (Pubs). Go chat with Niall at Center Stage or Matt at On Tap. They won’t fuck with your ears! I won’t pay 250 NT for a Guiness to listen to J Lo or Tina Turner. Fuck no!

[quote=“Deca”][quote=“Wacow”]Monday and Tuesday, aside from lounge bars I’m not sure where to go.
Sundays (if you can call it a weeknight), Plush has an “all you can drink B-52” night upon paying entrance fee. Not sure if that’s a good thing, or a very very bad thing![/quote]

Lounge bars… which are any good? Something similar to Velours in Omotesando, Tokyo would be great if anyone knows it. Need something else than hiphip/r&b clubs and the utter unpretentiousness of Carnegies etc.[/quote]

Deca,
I haven’t had the pleasure of visiting Velours in Omotesando, Tokyo yet, so sorry I can’t relate to that benchmark. But I will tell you a few that I personally like when I feel like going out casually (no clubbing). Curiously, right across the street from Carnegie’s is one of my favorites, Champagne 2. It’s well lighted, plays upbeat music that isn’t too loud, and feels “happening” even when there’s not too many people. Clean and classy as well, with a long bar. Behind Champagne 2 is The Bed 2, which is a quieter, more dimly lit hookah bar. Also rather upscale and a nice place with lots of seating and is a little different (being a hookah bar). Farther up the street is Champagne 1, which also draws a mellow crowd and is smaller, more cozier than Champagne 2. In the small alley behind that is Kama, also dimly lit but classy and has many specialty cocktails and a large square bar if you don’t feel like sitting on a sofa. Away from An Ho Rd., I like to go to My Other Place on Fuxing North Rd. It is more of a western bar, with wood decor and all; much more casual. If you prefer something larger, Brown Sugar by Neo 19 is where I usually take overseas clients if I don’t take them to a hostess bar (hey, at least I’m honest). They usually have live music and Sunday is Salsa night. Another is Barcode, on the 5th floor of Neo 19, and is one of the hottest places in town. The place to “be seen” so to speak, and has a pool table, large outdoor deck, and long bar. Be prepared to put on your pretentious hat though if you decide to go, depending on which night of the week it is. Very cosmopolitan feel and regularly frequented by singers and actors from Taiwan and Hong Kong. These places are just my personal favorites, and will have people there pretty much any given day of the week. Although I’m sure there are many more upstanding lounge bars out there others can recommend that I haven’t listed here.

Thanks for a nice overview, agree that Barcode and Kama are good spots. Champagne2 at least looks inviting from across the street, so will have to that check that one out next time!

I just noticed that MOD opened a sequel on Leli Rd. Have yet to check it out but am fond of the original in the ChungHsiao/ Anhe area.

Club Wax, right outside Guting station, has an all you can drink on Wednesday night. We usually hit Roxy 99 for four free beers, then head over to Wax and leave when the sun comes up. We have a great time.

Try the new place on Minchuan East Road, #56…Tone 56 Live Bar. Not bad at all…Disco night on Thursday with disco dancers and Friday and Saturdays night live bands. I think on Sunday they have a live bands also…maybe blues or jazz. Food is good and prices are reasonable.

Alert and sober is no way to go through life.

Tonight - Friday 10/10
Ladies Night
Live Band - Bo Po Mo Fo (Chicago Blues Band)
NT99 cocktails and wine for the ladies all night long
Happy Hour Specials
Great Food - Western and Chinese
NO COVER CHARGE

Cheers and Happy 10/10 day everyone!
Rob and Greg

Well, I live in Hsinchu and all I got to say is…I found work in the wrong friggin city!!! Reading all these posts about nightspots and clubbing is making me realize what a shit-town this is!..ha! I’m gonna start browsing tealit for a job there, now. As for clubs here, there have only been 2 of notability (is that a word?) here in Hsinchu…Flying Pig and Pig & Whsitle. Is it only coincidence that every western pub in Taiwan has the word “pig” in the title or just me? Anyway, the Pig & Whistle used to rock…bands or DJ’s every night, cheap happy hours, sexy hostesses…then for whatever reason management stopped it all, business slacked off and now it’s nothing but a quiet afternoon lounge bar for Science park engineers. As for the Flying Pig, the local mafia took it over from the previous western management and turned it into a coffee-shop type atmosphere. ho-hum.