Coca Cola could leave Taiwan

It would be a huge loss to Taiwan, though perhaps not to the Taiwanese people. A coke withdrawal (see what I did there) would maybe have a positive impact on both waistlines and gum lines, but it would send a message to international firms operating in Taiwan or considering entering the market that this is not a friendly country to business interests who want to keep their trade secrets as trade secrets.

Places like China can get away with it because most corporations are willing to make sacrifices to gain access to a market that could potentially be a big as 1/5 of the world’s population. Taiwan doesn’t offer any such incentives.

There is that. I wasn’t implying it was right or fair what the government is doing. I agree with you that it’s pretty dumb to make the Taiwanese business climate even more red-tape-bound than it already is, and as Icon just said, the current procedure of disclosing ingredients doesn’t even achieve what it purports to achieve (consumer safety). If Coke are threatening to leave, taking their taxes with them, it might force the gubmint to actually take a proper look at the law, engage their brains, and re-write it into something that actually serves the public interest. Then again, that might all prove to be too much effort for them. The more likely scenario is that they’ll find a mutually-agreeable workaround for Coke, and the law will stay as it is: an inefficient and pointless layer of bureaucracy.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]
Places like China can get away with it because most corporations are willing to make sacrifices to gain access to a market that could potentially be a big as 1/5 of the world’s population. Taiwan doesn’t offer any such incentives.[/quote]

Why is Coka Cola still so worried about their ingredients? Surely with the technology today, sending a can of coke to an analyzer would allow anyone to know what exactly goes into a ml of coke. But even if people claims they’ve got the exact formula the same as coke, people could still buy coke for its brand name.

Most coke drinkers can’t tell coke from pepsi in a blind test… I’ve even seen experiments where blindfolded people having trouble telling 7up from coke…

thrillist.com/drink/nation/b … e-to-zevia

Blind test for 9 different coke drinks… guess how Coca Cola placed…

It’s the principle. Businesses should be allowed to retain certain trade secrets, and the mystique of the recipe is part of the brand identity. Having said that, the (purported) recipe for Coke is available on the internet, but it doesn’t include quantities. That’s pretty much what the government would expect to see on an ingredients label.

Nah, not really. A chemical analysis will only show you certain chemical markers (fragments of molecules, or bond resonances) which you’d then have to try to relate back to possible ingredients.

It would be a huge loss to Taiwan, though perhaps not to the Taiwanese people. A coke withdrawal (see what I did there) would maybe have a positive impact on both waistlines and gum lines, but it would send a message to international firms operating in Taiwan or considering entering the market that this is not a friendly country to business interests who want to keep their trade secrets as trade secrets.

Places like China can get away with it because most corporations are willing to make sacrifices to gain access to a market that could potentially be a big as 1/5 of the world’s population. Taiwan doesn’t offer any such incentives.[/quote]

That is the issue: what does an action like this say about Taiwan’s opening to international trade? Furthermore, after all that talk and after all the deals, it comes back to this: Taiwan ain’t China, it can’t follow their model either.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
OH GOD NO!!!

That would put a serious cramp on my existence. Its bad enough we don’t have Gatorade here because of greedy local pricks, now Coke!?! :banana: off and worry about your own DEHP laden bullshit before worrying about what comes from abroad. Has anyone ever gotten sick off of Coca Cola.[/quote]

Yes and more, but they drank eight liters of it in a day and didn’t have the best lifestyle.

stuff.co.nz/national/health/ … ath-sister.[/quote]

I remember when this shit came to air. It was just the stupidest thing ever.

What a lifestyle…she’d have needed to pee like…every 6 seconds.

Assuming her kidneys were still functioning …

For the record, I would bet money that I can identify Coke from Pepsi. They taste quite different to me.

Edit: Just like MC Hammer, apparently!

me too, coke and pepsi are very different. I prefer Doctor Pepper though.

I just remember a while ago they tested Coke and found alcohol added into, which caused some religious groups around the world to be pretty mad…

Perhaps they use it to infuse some herbs, spices … other

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

Why would it be a loss? Eastern Europe has managed a few decades without Coke … Pepsi was the only available, it worked perfectly.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

There is that. I wasn’t implying it was right or fair what the government is doing. I agree with you that it’s pretty dumb to make the Taiwanese business climate even more red-tape-bound than it already is, and as Icon just said, the current procedure of disclosing ingredients doesn’t even achieve what it purports to achieve (consumer safety). If Coke are threatening to leave, taking their taxes with them, it might force the gubmint to actually take a proper look at the law, engage their brains, and re-write it into something that actually serves the public interest. Then again, that might all prove to be too much effort for them. The more likely scenario is that they’ll find a mutually-agreeable workaround for Coke, and the law will stay as it is: an inefficient and pointless layer of bureaucracy.[/quote]

Everyone on this board is miowing about food scandals, now that it involves Coke they wonder why it’s necessary to disclose ingredients … :?

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]For the record, I would bet money that I can identify Coke from Pepsi. They taste quite different to me.

Edit: Just like MC Hammer, apparently!

[/quote]

You still have functioning taste buts … others don’t due to over seasoned junk food.

There is that. I wasn’t implying it was right or fair what the government is doing. I agree with you that it’s pretty dumb to make the Taiwanese business climate even more red-tape-bound than it already is, and as Icon just said, the current procedure of disclosing ingredients doesn’t even achieve what it purports to achieve (consumer safety). If Coke are threatening to leave, taking their taxes with them, it might force the gubmint to actually take a proper look at the law, engage their brains, and re-write it into something that actually serves the public interest. Then again, that might all prove to be too much effort for them. The more likely scenario is that they’ll find a mutually-agreeable workaround for Coke, and the law will stay as it is: an inefficient and pointless layer of bureaucracy.[/quote]

Everyone on this board is miowing about food scandals, now that it involves Coke they wonder why it’s necessary to disclose ingredients … :?

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8[/quote]

Yes, but it isn’t the international foods that have been called into question, is it. The problem originates from shortcut taking local firms, so they should be the ones under investigation and required to be labeled, not reputable international firms from which no one has ever been poisoned from (of course discounting the obvious damage Coke does to the kidneys over many years)

Why would it be a loss? Eastern Europe has managed a few decades without Coke … Pepsi was the only available, it worked perfectly.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8[/quote]

It would be a big loss for me :frowning:

As Dan says, it is just that coming against Coke and Costco -where everyone run, didn’t walk, to when the scandals ocurred as safe refuge- is such a hypocritical non sequitur. Stinks of protectionism corruption.

Coca- Cola leave Taiwan?
Yeah, right, only if they can keep China.

That swill might be nice to some on a hot summer day, but why not have a beer instead?

Haven’t drank that since I was a pup.
Rather they went back to the true original formula:

Yes, but it isn’t the international foods that have been called into question, is it. The problem originates from shortcut taking local firms, so they should be the ones under investigation and required to be labeled, not reputable international firms from which no one has ever been poisoned from (of course discounting the obvious damage Coke does to the kidneys over many years)[/quote]
We have the same requirements in Europe, some countries are even stricter then the EU requirements. Food ingredients need to be accounted for and traceable, simple.
No one is turning against anyone, Coke and Costco want to look like scapegoats to have it their way, good try.

There’s a slight difference between poisoning people with industrial plasticizers and not specifying “cinnamon” on the label. :unamused: