Coffee shop seating challenges

Fed up with people taking up as much space on their own in coffee shops restricting seating.
Bags on seats opposite to like a friend is sat there, bar style seating push one stool under sit at one end with backpack on other seat, seating for 3 becomes 1.
One guy in 7/11 placed 3 t drink cartons on 3 seating places and used his laptop on fourth seat taking the whole table to himself
Coffee shops Laoban should stop people doing it, they lose custom, seats look full so go to another, you know don’t have to walk far, I prefer certain shops so I don’t take that shit, ask them to remove backpack and take seat, today I moved stool out from under bar making guy panic trying to shuffle away from me.

4 Likes

Speak up or forever hold your peice.customer entitlement day in day out isnt always on the boss to solve.

Accept selfish entitlement- not me.

OK but how about the reverse situation, in which they are HEAPS of empty tables and unoccupied seats scattered about—and some dude decides he wants to sit right next to you (and I mean RIGHT NEXT TO YOU) in an otherwise empty shop?

I’ve lived in four countries and I never, not once, encountered this kind of weirdo behavior outside Taiwan. :upside_down_face:

Guy

5 Likes

I never understood this weird behavior. It happens in fast food joints too. People buy the cheapest item and just fester in there for hours, they bring a collection of shit along with them too, at least 2 flasks. My solution was to go to places that were not busy, that’s it. If you go to a busy place accept you are going to have to deal with hassle.

1 Like

I’ve always assumed they’re avoiding whatever their situation is at home - whether that be the state of the home itself, their relationships with the other people who live there, or a lack of personal space.

4 Likes

Same at the big libraries, they can put backpack on seat next to them, notebook and pen on desk space other side, loads of space.
I go to library regularly to get out of noisy apartment, nice seats and lots of desk space, power socket, hot, cold water machine.
Coffee shops are for coffee not 6 hours of studying, always a seat In library.

2 Likes

Just sit down. They will be too shocked. And if they do engage then ask where are people.

1 Like

Absolutely not true.

2 Likes

It happens in the west too. See: Walmart parking lots. there is even a term for it. but I am forgetting it now. Something referencing sheep. Perhaps “herding”.

Fine. But SITTING IN A COFFEE SHOP like that?

Sorry that’s just weird. :grimacing:

Guy

1 Like

Did he make a pass?

EDIT: two passes and it’s a winner

That stuff happened to me in the gym. Empty gym. Treadmill right next to me.

Never happens to me anymore. I carry that air of poor personal hygiene.

1 Like

It’s also been immortalized in Taiwanese cinema in the urinal scene in Tsai Ming-liang’s wonderful Goodbye, Dragon Inn.

Guy

1 Like

It is indeed weird.

at least indoors you have the face save excuse of social distancing.

The secret is to look for chairs. Gather chairs for your entire party and then randomly put them somewhere in the open in a circle or vaguely near a table.

If people are occupying chairs kindly point and look and point again and start pulling the chair away and they should remove their personal belongings.