Collapsed rower

I hope that image works. (no, how do you get them to pop up in the story?)

Anyway, this is the story.

Sally Robbins should never have been selected for the final of the women’s eights in Athens after she rowed poorly earlier in the Games, according to a confidential Australian Olympic Committee report and angry parents who have accused officials of a cover-up.

The crew was so concerned that Robbins would again fall short in the final that the rower sitting in front of her had a message inscribed on the back of her uniform imploring Robbins not to stop rowing, according to one parent.

Yes… this is an important topic. I don’t know why so many coaches fail to pick the best players to start. On my high school football (American) team, Jim O’Learchik started at nose tackle… this was ridiculous. Bobby Johnson was much better than Jim O’Learchik. And why in the world was Dave Weston not starting at linebacker. He was an absolute beast… ended up playing semi-pro ball and killing people.

What happened to the rower? She collapsed and died or just collapsed exhausted? Please link to the news story.

She simply stopped rowing with about 300m left to row.

I had trouble linking. Full story from todays Melbourne paper below.

Sally Robbins should never have been selected for the final of the women’s eights in Athens after she rowed poorly earlier in the Games, according to a confidential Australian Olympic Committee report and angry parents who have accused officials of a cover-up.

The crew was so concerned that Robbins would again fall short in the final that the rower sitting in front of her had a message inscribed on the back of her uniform imploring Robbins not to stop rowing, according to one parent.

The ploy failed. Robbins collapsed in the final, costing Australia any chance of a medal and generating criticism from many of her teammates.

The AOC report expresses dismay that Robbins’ below-par performance in the repechage, in which Australia finished third behind Romania and Germany, did not rule her out of selection in the final.

Three parents of crew members last month met a senior official of the Federal Government’s sporting arm, the Australian Sports Commission, to voice their concerns.

These also included allegations that the women were told what to say at a news conference intended to put the controversy to rest.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

There is now a real chance an independent investigator might be appointed by the ASC to review the case.

One of the parents who attended the meeting, John Doyle, the father of rower Kyeema Doyle, confirmed last night that Robbins’ performance in the repechage was a critical issue.

He said the crew called a meeting after the race and lined up an alternative rower for the final. “The coach was aware but he couldn’t get Sally out of the crew,” Mr Doyle said.

"We heard the selectors were frightened to dump her and couldn’t believe she would go that bad again in the final.

"But the girls knew. That’s why they were so angry after the race.

“They held a meeting with the coach, the captain and the cox and they tried to talk to Sally, hoping she would make the call. But she said she’d be fine - and she wasn’t.”

He said the women’s desperation extended to having the message written on the back of crew member Victoria Roberts, who sat in front of Robbins.

Dissatisfied over the handling of the affair, three parents met ASC senior official Brent Espeland. These included Mr Doyle and a parent of Catriona Oliver, who was given a two-year suspended sentence by rowing authorities for slapping Robbins at an Olympic team function after the Games.

ASC chief executive Mark Peters said: "We are aware there are unresolved issues that the ASC will talk to both Rowing Australia and the AOC about in order to determine if there is a need for a further investigation.

"There is still a lot of emotion in the issue.

“Until we get something signed by the daughters of the parents, we can’t act. If that happens, we will appoint an independent investigator.”

Rowing Australia confirmed it had responded to letters from parents of the crew, but has confined face-to-face meetings with three representatives of the crew - rowers Monique Heinke, Kyeema Doyle and Julia Wilson.

Acknowledging the parents’ concerns, Rowing Australia media manager David Pembroke said: “They were in Athens. They have been upset for some time.”

Asked whether any action had been taken against coaches following the revelation of the poor performance by Robbins earlier in the Games, Pembroke said: “Rowing Australia selects the coaches to the Olympic team. They have the experience and expertise to make the calls on who should be in the crews on any particular day.”

The contract of the women’s eight coach, Harald Jahrling, expires at the end of this year.

The AOC spokesman denied any screening of what the rowers could say to the media in Athens, claiming the crew arrived in uniform outside the Australian office in the athletes village at 7.30am, requesting a press conference.

AOC media manager Mike Tancred said the AOC’s only involvement in the rehearsed answers was via late-night mentoring by former Wallaby captain John Eales, a team attache.

“There is no way we told the girls in the rowing eight what to say and what not to say,” he said.

“Chef de mission John Coates handed responsibility to John Eales and they decided with him what to say and turned up for a press conference.”

However, the rowers travelled on three buses to the press centre and athletes overhead them still arguing about what to say.

Mr Doyle said the parents’ grief was compounded by the frustration that Rowing Australia was “waiting us out”.

“How could the head of Rowing Australia, Pat McNamara (a former deputy premier of Victoria), go on national TV and say the girls should stop complaining because they were never going to win a medal anyway,” he said. “For him to belittle them . . . they put four years effort into it. It’s the biggest load of crap I’ve heard.”

Mr Doyle said of Robbins’ persistent refusal to apologise to the crew: “They are still a bit angry with her. But the parents will go away when Rowing Australia admit they could have handled it better.”

Rowing Australia receives the highest payment of any sport funded by the ASC. Earlier this year, the ASC appointed former WA judge Robert Anderson to investigate the AIS cycling program following drug allegations.

So, why was she allowed to stay? Political pull? Screwing the coach? Has photos of the coach being screwed by a Shetland pony?

On the other claw, there is such a thing as sticking by one’s teammates.

You have to put the link into the HTML tags: [img]link[img] with a “/” in front of the second “img” (after the square opening bracket). Do not put the double quotation marks in there.

Why was she selected? Coz she’s way prettier than the other rowers.

Yes, there is, but the quid-pro-quo of that is the person needs to stick by the team. She stopped rowing despite assuring everyone in the team and the coaches before the event that she would not.

Then, after the event, she refuses to apologise to her teammates!

Bizarre!

Yes, there is, but the quid-pro-quo of that is the person needs to stick by the team. She stopped rowing despite assuring everyone in the team and the coaches before the event that she would not.

Bizarre![/quote]

Its bizarre on all fronts. Even down to the stupid tart lying down in the boat like she just saw the coach wandering over for another private rowing lesson and she takes out the rowing stroke of the girl behind.

Lletting a team down has to be one of the worst sins there is

Strange story. I assumed there was sex involved or her father was the coach or something really sinister when I read about all the angry parents demanding investigation and alleging a “cover-up” (ooooohhh :ohreally: ), but it turns out they simply felt she wasn’t good enough, that she was a known quitter and shouldn’t have been on the team.

sportal.com.au/othersports.a … s&id=59857

To me the strangest part of the whole story is that it made several newspapers and then ended up being a thread on forumosa. You Aussies are kind of different. . .

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
To me the strangest part of the whole story is that it made several newspapers and then ended up being a thread on forumosa. You Aussies are kind of different. . .[/quote]

Please don’t put all the poor aussies in with me. I am a little out on the edge.

I will have to start reading the New York Times now to blend in better though.

No offense intended. I just don’t get why it’s a news story. Sure, Sally Robins or whatever her name is apparently was not fit enough to be on the Australia womens 8 rowing team in the Olympics several months ago and she totally failed and let her team down (and her country). But people fail in sports every day. There are plenty of quitters out there. Why is this still in the headlines many months after it happened? What did the angry parents hope to discover in their investigation – that sally was smoking dope and wasn’t training as hard as the other girls? What kind of conspiracy or cover up did they hope to reveal – that the coach knew she was a looser and let her row anyway? As I said, I honestly didn’t mean any offense to you. I am just perplexed by the whole story and why it surfaced now, so long after Sally lay down in the boat.

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]
To me the strangest part of the whole story is that it made several newspapers and then ended up being a thread on forumosa. You Aussies are kind of different. . .[/quote]

Please don’t put all the poor aussies in with me. I am a little out on the edge.

I will have to start reading the New York Times now to blend in better though.[/quote]

you’re right about that. keep up the nutrigrain, mate, it seems to be doing you good. maybe that’s what sally needed in athens…

the age? how can you be a real ironman if you’re from down south?

Bizarre![/quote]

Its bizarre on all fronts. Even down to the stupid tart lying down in the boat like she just saw the coach wandering over for another private rowing lesson and she takes out the rowing stroke of the girl behind.

Lletting a team down has to be one of the worst sins there is[/quote]

That picture looks like the girl in front of her tried to nail her for quitting. Too bad she missed.

Tragic really; jolly hockysticks!

My brother rows in international events and I found out that in Australia to be a quitter is now known as a “Sally” and to “do a Sally”

Maybe a new word like Aussies calling girls “Sheila”

Sheila must have done something worthwhile for
Australian men.

you’ve got to wonder what sort of life this girl will be able to lead in oz for the next decade or two. I bet she doesn’t get out much these days.