College Life in Taiwan

I thought grad student’s primary job is research and courses are just something you do on your own time?

Undergrads in the US has to take a bunch of useless classes too. Even science majors must take probably more than half the credit hours in useless classes on history, arts, English literature, etc.

I second those. I heard good things about National Chung Hsing University as well but don’t have any first hand experience.

I know, I just didn’t want to type all that out about Community Colleges but thanks.

It’s also a good deal for Taiwanese (or other international students) who want to save costs. UC schools are US$40,000+ (50X what I paid many years ago) now days, vs US$7,000 or less at a two year schools. Even with the high fees UC, UW (Seattle) and others have been getting harder to get into. But we will see this year with the drop in International Students and now we will what happens with the Chinese students (one private uni in Portland (OR) said last week it will close, others will follow), if admission standards are lowered.

There are some random courses but none would ask you to clean the classroom.

I went to NTU and a reputable British school (I’m not disclosing which one because there were like 3 Taiwanese in my programme when I was there). Neither was particularly hard. You can pass with a 50 in the UK, aka write anything remotely related and you get a pass. How else would they attract Asian students to attend? The most preposterous case I heard was a Chinese student who got a pass with a Google translated essay. This is a Russell Group uni in London, btw.

It was also pretty easy to pass at NTU, but it depends largely on the professor and the discipline. Business school is the easiest, but business school is easy wherever you go.

2 Likes

When I was doing my master’s in the UK a Chinese student asked me to proof one of her essays for her. As soon as I read it I knew it was plargiarised. I told her not to do it, but she went ahead anyway.

The professor let it go. There is no way he didn’t know because it was a Krashen essay pretty much cut and pasted from somewhere easily searchable.

This was one of the less shit universities, too. Possibly not on a par with the kind of institution you’d grace with your presence, but it ranks highly.

2 Likes

yes, this exists. i was an undergrad student in kaohsiung at a public uni and that was exactly what was asked of me. it’s called 服務學習課, it’s about 15hrs per semester. each course counts as 2 points, every student needs to have at least 8 points in order to graduate, so basically you have to serve 2 years. of course there are other tasks besides cleaning classrooms and windows and sh$t. but it’s basically a way for the school to get free work.

My point exactly.

service-learning, hip

I am aware of that, but nobody cleaned classrooms. There’s a variety of options to choose from. Some did school tour for example for high schoolers or foreign guests. Or volunteer work etc.

i know this must depend on the school. my uni i attended wasn’t the most prestigious one, so that’s what they came up with.

University is harder than HS in the US, assuming you go into a good program. I’ve seen how some of my friends in small or state schools just breeze by when they’re not that smart.

I’ve heard from people that university in Taiwan are easier than HS. HS is super stressful and competitive. Once you’re in university, your fate is pretty much decided based on where you got into from testing in HS and middle school.

I live near a “respected” national university.

• Looks like a ghost town from Friday to Sunday.
  • A Chinese friend’s relative was a student and said the classes were so easy she just traveled the island from Friday to Monday.
  • A teacher there said the standards have become so low she has given up trying to get students to do anything.
  • Classes taught in English as desperate to get foreign students to fill classrooms. Another teacher told me neither teachers’ or students’ English is good enough to have an adequate learning experience.

So many stories from friends about the dwindling quality of Taiwan universities. Seems very few schools willing to ask students to do anything for fear of having students complain.

1 Like

I guess it must depend on whether or not you’re an international students from China?

I say this because when I was at University of Texas at Austin there are a LOT, I mean a LOT of Chinese international students. Word is they’re the one bringing in all the money that schools need (so they can waste millions of dollar to pave a Yellow Brick Road in the middle of campus and have to redo the damned thing because of something they SHOULD HAVE gotten right in the first place!!). I’ll be honest with you, the university didn’t take it easy on me and I get C+ most of the time in my major sequence classes (I majored in Geology) but all those Chinese students they get A+ with little to no effort… But to be fair I get C+ because I had to work at Walmart between classes and it’s REALLY hard to study when you have to work to pay for housing and have school obligations to fulfill (like having to take paid time off for field trips. I take them even if optional because it makes the professor get to know you but more importantly, you learn stuff that could help you in tests).

Sometimes I think they make it easy on Chinese international students because they bring in the money. Like you know, turning in plagiarized work. UT Austin says they take plagiarism very seriously and you can expect to be expelled for this but who knows? Plus another thing is, at least for lower division classes they rely too much on scantrons. On the upper division classes scantrons gradually disappear but sometimes the stuff to remember is so much that I wish I had a memory implant or something.

Oh and by the way universities get free work all the time. It’s called research assistance and I did a fair bit of that. Learned a lot though, much more than I ever could hope to learn in class. I did eventually get paid though… It’s about the closest thing I ever came to government work anyways.

By the way at UT Austin the Chinese have basically taken over the entire physics and math department… like a large majority of their professors are Chinese.

1 Like

I’ll tell you what they do. They plagiarize from a chinese paper and translate into English.

I’m pretty sure it’s all google translate too…

1 Like

:thinking:

How hard universities are in the US really depends on the school and program. I went to a top 25 business program and it was a struggle to 3.2 GPA. I got mostly B to A- Hardly ever get an A unless it’s BS gen ed classes. It was such much harder than my prep school that was supposed to be tough. I completely breezed through HS and it did not prepare me for the disciple and work load to get excel in Uni.

On the other hand, I saw some of my idiot friends breeze by state schools with 3.5+ who are not that bright. The difference between surrounding by the best students in the country at a top program and just any school is huge.

What are you thinking about?

Your sentence reads like if you could have exams, you wouldn’t bother (having the exams). Whereas with ‘would not’, it would read more like its intended meaning. I never thought I’d come across a sentence where a contraction could make the meaning more ambigious than the uncontracted form.