College Life in Taiwan

Ellipsis.

Sustained.

If you knew what my intended meaning was why the confusion?

Because I just wanted to make a post on the forums today.

2 Likes

I’ll ask the :elephant:-in-the-room question:

What on :earth_africa: did you expect you could do with that degree, considering you probably paid out-of-state/foreigner-level tuition?

Maybe he likes Geology?

1 Like

I paid in state tuition. I went to high school in Texas so I qualify.

What am I going to do? Research or something of that nature. I was already doing undergraduate research for a professor anyways. At first mostly helping with sample preparation and assisting the lab principal investigator in running the electron microscope lab. Honestly I wouldn’t know what else I’d do in the states… I’d work the same dead end job anyways so going to school was the best thing I could think of. Wasn’t really looking forward to working at Walmart for the rest of my life.

Or I could have been a machinist or an assistant to one, I don’t know.

I also helped in the thin section labs (where we take some rock and slice off a very thin piece off of it and mount it to a microscope slide). Involves a LOT of high precision work and the thin sections must be highly polished… not like buffing wheel polish but I mean very flat and polished surface (and we do check with a microscope).

Edit: Also I went to UT Austin because I was a previous student at UT, and that means admission is simply filling out the application and paying a fee. It’s basically a must admit.

2 Likes

of course. my question is what did he expect to get out of paying maybe $120,000 over 4 years for that.

Edit: paid state tuition. much more reasonable.

Geology majors are in demand in the petroleum industry. Work in the field analysing how much and what types of oil/gas might be extracted from the land, among other things. Average salary about $90,000 USD.

I think I just found a career path for Taiwan Luthiers!

3 Likes

i do agree with this.
same for mining engineering.

go find some oil for taiwan, @Taiwan_Luthiers. add oil, add oil!!

Problem is that $90,000 isn’t that much in most of the US. You can make that much working in an auto factory with no diploma.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: details please

1 Like

yes, but mining jobs ain’t gonna be in North/South California, Seattle, New York, Illinois, etc, where taxes and real estate are exorbitant.
Likely jobs will be in TX, MT, WY, etc., or Canada, or even overseas where you get ex–pat package.

I know people without college degrees working in the Midwest making over 100K a year for Japanese automakers.

1 Like

i don’t know what business you’re in but for most people in the us and almost everywhere 90k is considered a lot or at least enough.

maybe as a factory manager you make that much but workers sure don’t. make your points public otherwise i’ll have to come up with the forbidden T-word again.

1 Like

Not managers… They are making way more.

Mid-level maintenance most of them.

As someone who studied in Germany and Taiwan, here is my experience.

In Germany I did my undergraduate studies in a small town university. In general, Germany is not famous for elite-universities, at the same time all public universities have a pretty ok standard. In my business and technical classes you don’t have to put in a lot of work during the semester, but if you don’t deliver for the final exams you will fail (everything depends on the final exams of the semester).

I studied 1 semester in a public university in Kaohsiung (MBA-courses taught in English). That was a little bit disappointing. I turned up late in the semester and arrived only 1 week before the mid-term exams. Learned 2 nights and was still among the best studends in one course. Because I could hand in my missed assignments, arriving late meant no problems. There was only one professor who was famous, because he pushed his students. In his class you could really learn some stuff, but there were only like 8 studens attending it, because other professors handed out good marks much easier.

Then I studied my graduate degree at NTU (industrial engineering). As a foreigner, beeing accepted even by the best universities seems to be very easy, it’s unfair.
First of all, studying at NTU was a great experience. For graduate degrees you don’t have to take too many courses. The first year is meant for courses and the second year is mainly for research (although you begin with research in the 1st semester and can still take courses in the 4th semester).
The difficulty of the courses was not too easy and not too hard for me, as an average student (had to drop 2 courses too). Around 20% of NTUs students are highly motivated and impressing, but even there, around 20% of students are lazy and still manage to graduate with courses that are very easy to pass.
The rest of them put in some decent effort, like me.

My professors in the department were motivated and worked a lot with their students. To put it bluntly, NTU was great for me, but it may be underwhelming for others as a elite university. Graduating from less prestigious university in Taiwan probably doesn’t mean much.

7 Likes

My friend from high school studies geology. We all made fun of him. But it turns out, you can make big money in the oil business with a geology degree.

2 Likes

Union pay.

1 Like