Coming back to Taipei or going to Shanghai

Yeah! One of those Taiwan traditions.

About being in the PRC—aside from the security state concerns (no joke as Canadians are getting whisked away), I’d also figure out what’s happening currently with the tax situation. I heard there were some changes recently that have been highly unfavourable to foreign residents (though I have no idea if this applies nationally throughout the PRC or specifically in some locales).

Guy

You now have 5k free allowance as opposed to 4k. What’s that about Canadians?

I am referring to the recent detentions of Canadians in the PRC. Some details are in this Associated Press story:

Guy

It is because the Canadians arrested/detained a Huwei Exec in Vancouver. The Chinese must be feeling confused. Vancouver is ground zero for Chinese money laundering and now they are suddenly cracking down on top-ranked Chinese? If I were the Chinese gov, I would be detaining Canadians too! :smile::smile::smile: Quid fucking pro quo. Maybe it is the Old Testament in me, but I believe in reciprocity good or bad. Just as I laud Trump for this:

Itin, I lived 2 years in Shanghai (2011-2013), and 3 years in Taiwan (2013-2016). I worked for the same US employer; though in Taiwan I was hired as a local employee. I had about the same offer whereas Shanghai was a bit better deal.

I can tell you that I was able to save very little money while in SH; but in Taiwan I saved about 75% of my salary. In terms of life (my opinion)–no contest Taiwan is the clear choice; I love the environment, the people. I had a bot difficult time in China dealing with people in everyday life (taxi drivers and smoking, buying train tickets, grocery shopping, and many more). I could visit SH, but I could not return to live–no way. I am planning on returning to TW in next few months–good luck

6 Likes