Coming from Northern Ireland question

Hi there all.

My boyfriend (from the Republic of Ireland) and I are hoping to move in January to Taipei in order to teach English. We will both have Bachelor’s degrees by the time we arrive.

When I was looking at visa requirements, I was worried about the police check. People seemed to suggest that the police check has to come from the country of your issuing passport. Both my boyfriend and I carry Republic of Ireland passports but I technically live under the jurisdiction of the U.K. in Northern Ireland. The police in the Republic will not issue me a police check certificate as I do not live there, and the police in NI would issue one marked with the fact it is from the U.K. government. Would this still be OK for visa purposes?

Also, does anyone have any advice specific to irish / northern irish expats in Taiwan, especially in teaching positions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Are you sure?

Every Irish teacher I’ve met in Taiwan claimed to be British. I guess it is easier to find teaching jobs that way, and most Taiwanese don’t know the difference anyway.

2 Likes

You don’t have to live in ROI to get a police clearance cert. If I was you I would just apply at the station that your boyfriend is applying at. The application form does ask for an address in the state. You could consider giving your boyfriend’s address.

Another option would be to call the taiwan representative office in Dublin and ask them what to do.

1 Like

SOP manual for licenced teacher’s work permit says

外國人應提供原護照國
之全國性無犯罪紀錄行
為良好證明,倘有特殊
情形者:已在它國任教
無法取得原護照國無犯
罪紀錄證明者,則應提
供現行任教國家所核發
之全國性無犯罪證明。

Thanks!
I was under the impression you had to be a ROI resident in order to get the police check, thanks for the advice!

I’ve tried to call the embassy in Dublin but the guy there didn’t speak much English at all. All I managed to get out of him was “please do not come without an appointment please. work visa sixty euros” and he seemed very panicked when I called. Maybe I will try again.

The website states " A Police Certificate is issued by the Superintendent in the District where the relevant applicant resides, or formerly resided, in the Republic of Ireland. Please go to our [Station Directory] to find out who your District Superintendent is." I took this to mean that I had to be resident for a police check. I don’t even have a PPS (social security/national insurance number) in the Republic.

Is there a real reason for this? I wasn’t aware that there was any real difference made between English speaking nationalities, that might complicate things :sweat_smile:

I’d just call the superintendent and ask. Even if they can’t issue you a certificate, they maybe can tell you where and how to get one.

They ask for dates that you resided. But you don’t have to be currently resident. And I don’t think there is a minimum length of residency. So just give a short period of time that you were resident at your boyfriend’s address?

Hmm Im wondering if @meishijia is aware :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I will give that a try. It’s a nightmare trying to get through to them & i’ve been hung up on a number of times at this stage :roll_eyes:

Ok, thank you! I will give that a go :grin:

1 Like

You need the police check for your work permit. You could try to call workforce development agency of ministry of labor in Taiwan.

1 Like

I’ve emailed them twice so far; I’ll try and give them a call and see if that works instead.

Oh, ok. Be persistent. Are you still living in the area to pay them a visit personally?

No unfortunately not. I live in Northern Ireland & the place is about an hour away in the Republic of Ireland - right now we have pretty high restrictions & fines on intercounty travel so whenever those are lifted I will pay a visit in person if it’s still necessary.

While you’re waiting for that, you could bother her majesty’s local police for a certificate and hand this in at the TECO.
Also in Germany you can apply for one online. I don’t know if this is a European thing. Maybe the ROI has something similar.

2 Likes

Yeah you can apply online. I got one whilst living in Taiwan. And yeah get the PSNI one too. Better looking at it than looking for it!

2 Likes

Thanks a million to both of you, think the best solution is to get both then! Thanks again for your help :grin:

2 Likes

You’re very welcome! Best of luck with your endeavour!

1 Like