Coming to study in September or pushing it back to December?

Hello,
I’m a happy recipient of a 6-month Huayu Scholarship, intending to start studying at NSYSU in Kaohsiung in September, going to February 2022.
Of course, the recent news has thrown some doubt on these plans.
I am able to push back the period of my scholarship to December, going to May 2022.
I’m finding it hard to find information about the vaccine situation in Taiwan… would you recommend that I come later? What is the likelihood that the situation is mostly resolved in September?
As I’m in the UK at the moment there’s a high chance I can get vaccinated over summer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Low likelihood that the situation is resolved here by September

But also low likelihood that it will be hugely worse here than in the U.K. What is happening in Taiwan now is shocking for Taiwan standards, but still pretty good by world standards

Definitely get vaccinated before because you will not get any vaccine here most likely in the near term

5 Likes

Hello, and welcome to forumosa.

First off let me say that if you have the opportunity to get vaccinated in the UK, you should absolutely do so. Vaccine rollout has so far been very slow in Taiwan, and I suspect there’d be a good chance you would not be eligible for vaccination during your planned time here.

I personally doubt that the current community spread of COVID will be over by September. I’d be delighted to be wrong about this, and other forumosans may have different views. But that’s my take, with limited information, looking months ahead.

Guy

4 Likes