Coming to taibei in 2 weeks, finding place near taida?

Hello, I’m coming to taibei soon and when I arrive I have no place to stay. I want to get a place as soon as I can, and wanted to look at some ads now already so I know somewhat to expect price-wise. (I don’t know anyone in taibei yet, so I might have to go apartment hunting alone). Problem is I’m not familiar with taibei, so I don’t know what places are close to or have a conveniant travel route to taida. Searching for ads with keyword “taida” gives few results, what are some neighbourhood names i might try? Or subway/bus stations that are conveniant?
I would prefer to live with other people, chinese or ex-pat, both okey. When I studied in beijing I remember there were always ads on campus announcement boards for people looking to share apartments, will I have any luck with that If i travel to Taida?
Thanks for any help!

There are lots of apartments around there – and lots of students (from several schools) to fill them up.

The area around Tai-Da is known as Gongguan. That’s also the name of the MRT (subway) stop there. The abbreviation “NTU” is often used, too. So try “Gongguan” and “NTU” when scanning English-language sites, such as Taiwanted.

For more sites to try and lots of good advice, read through Forumosa’s Real Estate & Housing forum.

Try www.taiwanted.com :slight_smile:

This city is generally known is Taipei.

You may have better luck looking for places using the keyword ‘Taida.’ Taida is a neighborhood known as Gongguan. The best place by far online to look is Tsui Mama. The site is organized by districts of Taipei. Nearby districts include Zhongzheng, Daan, and Wenshan. Daan is the nicest and most expensive. Wenshan is the cheapest. Cheaper still is Yonge across the river.

Any of the following MRT stations will be reasonably close: Gongguan, Taipower Building, Technology Building, Guting, Wanlong and Dingxi in Yonghe. You should expect to pay NT$8000 to $12000 for a reasonable room in an apartment near Taida. You can probably find a room in Yonghe for as low as NT$5000 per month.

Use Google maps to help and ask back here.

If Formosa Hostel is still open and still under the management of Mrs. Lin, you could do worse than stay there for a few weeks until you find you own place. Near the subway line that goes to Taida.

Formosa Hostel I

3rd Fl, 16 Lane 20,

Chungshan N Rd, Sec 2

(02) 2562-2035

NW

Arrange bookings through ‘FH 2’

Formosa Hostel II

2nd Fl, 5 Lane 62,

Chungshan N Rd, Sec 2

(02) 2511-6744

NW

Washing machine/kitchen

NT$250-up

It’s also worth checking out tealit, just Google for it as I think I’ll get slapped for advertising for them here :wink:
If you can read Chinese or get some help, then check out 591.com.tw/ as it’s full of local adverts and it has more choice that the English sites.
The only help I can give you otherwise is to go here 591.com.tw/house-rentSale-3.html which is Taipei in general, select the second option in the last drop down box (it selects dealing with the landlord directly) and start looking. You can sort by price and size, but I don’t know if there’s an option that makes it easy to find a shared place, but I’d guess that many of the smaller places are shared.
Dealing with a real estate agent here costs you half a months rent and then you need two months deposit in general, some landlords only ask for one while others want three, but neither are the norm.
A decent room shouldn’t cost you more than 8-10k a month, unless you want something really fancy.
I wouldn’t suggest going for something before you’ve seen it as there are some real dumps here too, so chose carefully. When I just moved here and was hunting for a place to stay I saw some really manky places.
The area you’re looking for can be quite expensive, but if you don’t mind a bit of a ride on the MRT, like 10-15min there are cheaper places towards Xindien or Jonghe.
It’s worth checking out the MRT map here - trtc.com.tw/img/e/b44/eroutetime4_950516.htm in English.
Taking the MRT is cheap and convenient, far cheaper than getting a scooter, although I guess you can get cheap 2nd or 3rd hand one :smiley:
Hope this helps

Check out Mandarin Hostel. Foreign run and they rent out furnished apartment rooms by the week. They have a location near Tai-da.

mandarinhostel.com/

Taipei is much smaller than Beijing so you don’t need to worry so much about being close to the school where you are studying. Just try getting a place close to an MRT line, preferably the one going to Tai-da (check a map).

I found one of the biggest differences between Beijing and Taipei is that in Taipei if someone says its close they probable mean within 15 mins, whereas in Beijing close can be anything up to an hour. If you are used to Beijing travel times you’re in for a treat.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]It’s also worth checking out tealit, just Google for it as I think I’ll get slapped for advertising for them here :wink:
If you can read Chinese or get some help, then check out 591.com.tw/ as it’s full of local adverts and it has more choice that the English sites.
The only help I can give you otherwise is to go here 591.com.tw/house-rentSale-3.html which is Taipei in general, select the second option in the last drop down box (it selects dealing with the landlord directly) and start looking. You can sort by price and size, but I don’t know if there’s an option that makes it easy to find a shared place, but I’d guess that many of the smaller places are shared.
Dealing with a real estate agent here costs you half a months rent and then you need two months deposit in general, some landlords only ask for one while others want three, but neither are the norm.
A decent room shouldn’t cost you more than 8-10k a month, unless you want something really fancy.
I wouldn’t suggest going for something before you’ve seen it as there are some real dumps here too, so chose carefully. When I just moved here and was hunting for a place to stay I saw some really manky places.
The area you’re looking for can be quite expensive, but if you don’t mind a bit of a ride on the MRT, like 10-15min there are cheaper places towards Xindian or Zhonghe.
It’s worth checking out the MRT map here - trtc.com.tw/img/e/b44/eroutetime4_950516.htm in English.
Taking the MRT is cheap and convenient, far cheaper than getting a scooter, although I guess you can get cheap 2nd or 3rd hand one :smiley:
Hope this helps[/quote]

You mention the infamous “T” word. This site died about 5 years ago which is about 5 years longer than it should have survived. Come on. They have nothing to offer except scams and 14 year old girls looking to practice there English for free. I haven’t been there in 5 years and no loss. Good ridance to rubbish. A blight, I say a blight, on all of humanity.

Ya Feiren, I was scratching my head trying to figure out where Taibei was? OH you mean DAI BAK? :slight_smile:

just kidding just kidding. Welcome to Taiwan .

(although IM not there , I still can welcome people to the place right? )

Well, Enigma, they still advertise more places for rent that Taiwanted I’m sorry to say and I found a great, brand new place that I’ll be moving into next week on there. Sure, it’s not the best site in the world, but neither is Taiwanted imho.
Using a combination of the two is almost a must if you want to rely in English ads and have half a chance of finding what you want.