Coming to Taiwan in August 2018 - Teenage Girl wants Taiwan Friend

My daughter and I will be in Taiwan this August. She is 14 and likes singing, dancing, and K pop. She would like to make a Taiwanese friend. Let me know if you know a girl or boy that is interested.

I can see where this is going :popcorn:

What is that suppose to mean. This is the second year I have brought my daughter to Taiwan to study Mandarin. Check my other posts from the previous year. I want her to make some Taiwanese friends that could help her improve her Chinese.

I also have a daughter… albeit she’s only just turning 1. But if she were older I’d be hesitant to make an open call online for friends on a forum and just trust that everyone is a good and honest person.

The other poster was being snarky, but the point is this probably isn’t the right way to go about getting her friends. Most of the people here are in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s. I’d say 99% of the people here are good, but this is a somewhat anonymous forum and to be blunt you never know if there’s a pervert lurking here who will pretend to have (or even be) a girl your daughter’s age. And if anyone does actually have a daughter the same age as your daughter, they might not contact you because they also don’t really know who you are as well.

I’d say going to some Facebook groups would be better, because you can actually see who the people are and get to know them a bit more personally. Or just enroll her in some extracurricular cramschool classes, or hang out at parks with her and she’ll naturally meet other kids.

Just trying to give you some helpful advice, eh.

6 Likes

If her Chinese is enough to hold conversations with people and understand what the majority of people say most of the time, I would suggest that you sign her up for some summer camps. Sleepaway ones tend to be short (think 3 days 2 nights etc) and day camps are in weekly increments, because the kids have to get back to studying after that. You can sign her up for more than one and she’ll meet a ton of kids that way. I remember I went to a singing camp when I was younger. Many are for elementary age though so she may be quickly aging out of the window.

1 Like

Thanks for all your concern. I would never let my daughter meet people without me being there. I was hoping another parent would see the post and we could arrange something together. Any suggestion of a facebook group. That is a good idea. Thanks for all your suggestions.

3 posts were split to a new topic: From friend

I would also suggest going the summer camp or extra curricular class. My niece is also in a similar boat, but a bit younger. She comes back every summer and takes classes at Mandarin Daily News (國語日報).

The issue with that is there’s really not too much time to make a bond with other kids since you’re there for a short amount of time.

If she likes kpop, best be paying the big bucks for her to go to a concert this summer. My gf met a ton of her friends at concerts because they all had that one thing in common.

Another idea is to ask family or friends to see if they know anyone in your daughter’s age and go from there.

3 Likes

Thanks Ranlee. Actually my daughter is registered at the Mandarin Daily News in August. Last summer she was registered at ShiDa. She had a difficult time making friends with her classmates and the girls she wanted to bond with treated her badly. One problem we have is that my daughter is adopted and we don’t speak Mandarin at home. My hope is that if she makes some friends in Taiwan this will be an incentive for her to want to come back and continue learning the language. Do you know of any K pop concerts in August. I’ve been looking online but haven’t found anything yet. Thanks again Ranlee.

Unfortunately, I do not follow the kpop scene.

I think your daughter might know better than any of us. If she’s following certain artists, they will post dates of any kinds of concerts they have. If she’s unsure where to look and/or if you need help, head towards a kpop discussion forum and I’m sure someone there will be willing to help you out.

@yelomonkey , saw this link from Michael Turton’s public website today.
Has article there on K-pop. Writers on the site are all teenagers in Taiwan. Perhaps this may interest your child.

Thanks CTaitung. Very cool web site. I’ll have my daughter have a look. Much appreciated!