Commuting between Taipei and Keelung

[quote=“pubba”]Well the de-wey guys seem very efficient despite their lack of communication between each other…

Was offered a package today - 6 hours a week in Taipei and 19 hours a week in Keelung (Jilong). Lots of travel between each school every day… So I declined this time.[/quote]

Lots of transport between Keelung and Taipei. Maybe you should reconsider?

Lots of transport between Keelung (Jilong) and Taipei. Maybe you should reconsider?[/quote]

Or do you mean its not far between Jilong and Taipei? My friend said it would be far enough to be annoying. And to be honest - the less time I spend on the road here the better! :laughing:

Lots of transport between Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) and Taipei. Maybe you should reconsider?[/quote]

Or do you mean its not far between Jilong and Taipei? My friend said it would be far enough to be annoying. And to be honest - the less time I spend on the road here the better! :laughing:[/quote]

Taipei and Keelung has a bus every few minutes and takes bout 30 mins on the road . Trains too. So it shouldnt be bad as long as your pay is good and all that. I was at a cafe in keelung where a bunch of english teachers were hanging out and they seem to like it there.

I think you should look into it with more depth. And if you dont have a better package, you should do it till something better comes.

If the place is good and the pay is good, why not give it a shot? Keelung is a wet and miserable town, but it has its own character. It makes you happy when you are back in Taipei. haha.

But you could go to wanli and rent one of those apts there for something like 4000nt a month ? That is ok if you have transport though. As the bus from there to keelung is every 20 mins and takes bout 25 mins to keelung.

Anyway, its worth looking into or at least not dismissed without more study? Could be something worth doing? maybe?

Taichung has way better weather tho. And rent is way cheaper then Taipei. If you work in Keelung and Taipei, and you want to live in Taipei, your rental will be more?? Unless you get a few roomies?

I think if you get a nice gig in Tainan or Kaohsiung that will be possibly good. Taichung too. But the Taipei/keelung run could still be workable?

Good advice - thanks Tommy

If nothing better comes up in the next week or so, I will definitely look into it. Cheers :slight_smile:

I think I was spoiled with my previous job (despite all the dramas with coworkers etc). I wasn’t expected to do ‘office hours’, my room was literally around the corner from the school and I only ever did block hours.

[quote=“tommy525”]
Lots of transport between Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) (Jilong) and Taipei. Maybe you should reconsider?

Taipei and Keelung (Jilong) has a bus every few minutes and takes bout 30 mins on the road . Trains too. So it shouldnt be bad as long as your pay is good and all that. I was at a cafe in Keelung (Jilong) where a bunch of english teachers were hanging out and they seem to like it there.

I think you should look into it with more depth. And if you dont have a better package, you should do it till something better comes.

If the place is good and the pay is good, why not give it a shot? Keelung (Jilong) is a wet and miserable town, but it has its own character. It makes you happy when you are back in Taipei. haha.

But you could go to wanli and rent one of those apts there for something like 4000nt a month ? That is ok if you have transport though. As the bus from there to Keelung (Jilong) is every 20 mins and takes bout 25 mins to Keelung (Jilong).

Anyway, its worth looking into or at least not dismissed without more study? Could be something worth doing? maybe?

Taichung has way better weather tho. And rent is way cheaper then Taipei. If you work in Keelung (Jilong) and Taipei, and you want to live in Taipei, your rental will be more?? Unless you get a few roomies?

I think if you get a nice gig in Tainan or Kaohsiung that will be possibly good. Taichung too. But the Taipei/Keelung (Jilong) run could still be workable?[/quote]

Hey buddy, welcome back.
Pay no attention to Tommy, he wears special pants that let him talk out of his ass.
I think I know this Keelung gig, if this is the same one, aren’t you going back and forth multiple times every day?
Forget about it, if it’s the same one.
We went to Keelung on the weekend. Bus leaves about every 40 minutes, from only a couple locations, and about 40 minutes on the road if traffic is OK.
Yes, it’s not that bad, but you wouldn’t want to do it twice in a day, I wouldn’t want to have to do it once a day, every day like.

dood, when i lived in an apt in wanli and didnt have a car, i used to walk down the hill to either take the direct bus to taipei (which was infrequent at bout 20 to 40 mins a bus) or took the bus to keelung (which was like every 10 to 15 minutes) and then transfer at the main bus station to taipei. there was a long line of people taking the bus to taipei from there and literally theres a bus every 2 to 3 minutes. It can take you 15 mins in line though. And then later a bus line opened up nearby that had these mid sized buses that ran to the city and those were comfy and had a run every 15 mins or so.

No, its not convenient to do a gig in keelung. And keelung is wet wet wet and miserable. Its not the best by a long shot.

But IF (and here i have no idea) there actually was a school that was decent and say you only had 4 hours in the afternoon (giving you plenty of time to get out there) and then you could get back at your leisure afterwards. That could be workable.

But as iv alluded to, take a job in Kaoshiung, Tainan, Taichung before Keelung.

Work from south to north choice wise is better.

I just suggested that pubba look into it more closely for details before refusing in view he doesnt have a better option at moment.

If its starve or keelung, then pick keelung until another gig comes up is alls im saying.

[quote=“tommy525”]dood, when i lived in an apt in wanli and didnt have a car, i used to walk down the hill to either take the direct bus to taipei (which was infrequent at bout 20 to 40 mins a bus) or took the bus to Keelung (Jilong) (which was like every 10 to 15 minutes) and then transfer at the main bus station to taipei. there was a long line of people taking the bus to taipei from there and literally theres a bus every 2 to 3 minutes. It can take you 15 mins in line though. And then later a bus line opened up nearby that had these mid sized buses that ran to the city and those were comfy and had a run every 15 mins or so.

No, its not convenient to do a gig in Keelung (Jilong). And Keelung (Jilong) is wet wet wet and miserable. Its not the best by a long shot.

But IF (and here I have no idea) there actually was a school that was decent and say you only had 4 hours in the afternoon (giving you plenty of time to get out there) and then you could get back at your leisure afterwards. That could be workable.

But as iv alluded to, take a job in Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong), Tainan, Taichung before Keelung (Jilong).

Work from south to north choice wise is better.

I just suggested that pubba look into it more closely for details before refusing in view he doesnt have a better option at moment.

If its starve or Keelung (Jilong), then pick Keelung (Jilong) until another gig comes up is alls im saying.[/quote]

It’s not that bad out there for what it is, kind of like Taipei 15 years ago.
Fucking DAMP though.
Oh, and you have to admit, the line about your pants was pretty funny.

Ya it was, had me checking. :slight_smile:

These days I work in Neihu. There is a very regular bus service between Neihu and Keelung/Jilong. Salaries in Neihu are probably among the higher ones, on average, but I guess a lot of people who work there still like to live in Jilong for the cheaper rents.

Also, when I was teaching company classes at a chemical company in Zhonghe, one of the guys in the class commuted by bus from Jilong every day and it didn’t seem to bother him.