Comparing used bikes

[quote=“jdsmith”]Got a 150 kymco husky today. Nice condition. 20k. FInally.

We happy :cool:[/quote]Congratulations! I think you did right to hold out until you found something good for the right price.

Can we expect a report and/or pics sometime?

What changed your mind?

kamiwaza

We happy :sunglasses:[/quote]20K is a good price, I think you did well. :bravo:

Unless you know for sure it’s been done, on a newly acquired bike, I recommend doing a basic tune-up. Clean or replace the air filter, change the oil, and lubricate all moving parts ie: break/clutch levers, shifter, chain, kickstand, rear suspension. A new spark plug would be good too. The total will be about 400NT. It’s important on that bike to religiously change the oil on time.

Have fun! :happybiker:

bobepine

I just reread that. A Kymco Husky? Sanyang make Huskies. (Or should that be Huskys?). Kymco make Zings.

Which (if either) is it?

kamiwaza

I just reread that. A Kymco Husky? Sanyang make Huskies. (Or should that be Huskys?). Kymco make Zings.

Which (if either) is it?

kamiwaza[/quote]

Hmm, you may be right. My brother in law was with me and speaking Taiwanese the whole time, giving the lao ban an excuse to ignore me.

MJB would know. It’s the same make bike as the canadian guy had. Gears, one down, four up.

I asked him to do most of this, except the spark plug, but I’ll probably take it to a guy I know to do it right in front of me. Only way to be sure.

I pick it up Tuesday. :happybiker:

I have found a 96 Kymco Zing 150 that I am mulling over. It is tidy but 2 things bother me.

1. It’s been resprayed in sliver and pink (ewww)
  2. It has a non original 3 spoke alloy front wheel.

Basically, I’d want to paint it black. The tanks has some very minor dings that I’d need to fill but overall the tank and rest of the painted panels look solid.
The wheel is a PITA cos I’d want to replace it with a spoked one, but the guy at the shop seems to think this is too hard. I also wonder WHY the wheel was replaced in the first place (crash) so the headset might be fakked also.

He want’s 20k for it. I offered him 15 then 17 then 18k and we haven’t progressed any further. I have seen tidy ones on yahoo for 18k so that’s why I haven’t gone any further.

[quote=“Truant”]I have found a 96 Kymco Zing 150 that I am mulling over. It is tidy but 2 things bother me.

1. It’s been resprayed in sliver and pink (ewww)
  2. It has a non original 3 spoke alloy front wheel.

Basically, I’d want to paint it black. The tanks has some very minor dings that I’d need to fill but overall the tank and rest of the painted panels look solid.
The wheel is a PITA cos I’d want to replace it with a spoked one, but the guy at the shop seems to think this is too hard. I also wonder WHY the wheel was replaced in the first place (crash) so the headset might be fakked also.

He want’s 20k for it. I offered him 15 then 17 then 18k and we haven’t progressed any further. I have seen tidy ones on yahoo for 18k so that’s why I haven’t gone any further.[/quote]How about replacing the back wheel for a matching alloy wheel? The alloy wheels can be painted and they are much better. As for the headset, it’s easy to test. Brake hard with the front brake and try to listen or feel any loose or knocking. Take your hands off the handle bars at 70km/hr and see what happens. If it starts wobbling or is the bike seems to veer left or right, it means something is bent or the forks are unbalanced. Finally look for oil leaks on the front forks.

Good luck.

bobepine

jds, that’s a Zing. Huskies have cyclic gearboxes.

Truant, you can find many Zings that are being scrapped on tw.yahoo.com if you do a search for 勁零件 (jing ling jian). You could find a spoked wheel easily. I’m with bobepine on this one - get a matching rear mag. They are also easy enough to find as I believe there are both factory and aftermarket jobs available for the Zing. Lighter and stronger than steel rims.

kamiwaza

[quote=“kamiwaza”]jds, that’s a Zing. Huskies have cyclic gearboxes.

kamiwaza[/quote]

Cool. Thanks.

OK, so are you guys saying that 20k is a reasonable price considering I’d want to repaint it and replace one wheel or the other?

[quote=“Truant”]He want’s 20k for it. I offered him 15 then 17 then 18k and we haven’t progressed any further. I have seen tidy ones on yahoo for 18k so that’s why I haven’t gone any further.[/quote]Well a dealer is always going to be more expensive than a private seller. As noted above, the plus is that you get some kind of “warranty” though it’s worth getting any obvious things done by the shop before money changes hands.

I think 20K is a reasonable price – might just be easier and cheaper to find a wrecked black Zing and get the parts from that though.

What about this? tw.f3.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/c19747993 ?
or this tw.f5.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/e10365952 ?

kamiwaza

We happy :sunglasses:[/quote]

How does it compare with the one I showed you in Chungli? :wink:

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“jdsmith”]Got a 150 kymco husky today. Nice condition. 20k. FInally.

We happy :sunglasses:[/quote]

How does it compare with the one I showed you in Chungli (Zhongli)? :wink:[/quote]

It doesn’t.

I have a Yamaha RZR here for sale. Keep it in mind.

I’ve just got a SAAB 95 turbo and enjoy driving it way too much to ride the cycle now. I paid 20k for the RZR and would look for the same back minus a fairing replacement cost because my daughter dropped it.

She dropped it at .5kph so it was not a big deal.

Its probably due for a service, I’ve ridden it for some 6 months and never had a problem of any kind.

Any update on the RZR parts availability situation? They seemed to be fairly scarce and then Bobepine said he could get hold of some down in Kaohsiung.

So, is it difficult to get parts for the RZR? This is valuable information before I would purchase one. Are we talking just about fairings etc or more regular parts for maintance like clutch rings, break pads etc. ?

[quote=“ratlung”]So, is it difficult to get parts for the RZR? This is valuable information before I would purchase one. Are we talking just about fairings etc or more regular parts for maintance like clutch rings, break pads etc. ?[/quote]I would guess that all parts specific to the RZR/RZX are difficult to get hold of. Those bikes haven’t been made for a while. As far as I know, new parts aren’t generally available and you have to know someone who has them or knows how to get them.

Just picked up the bike. Threw my son on the back. He screamed WHOOOHOOOO!

My sentiments exactly. :sunglasses:

The RZR is getting old and some parts are indeed difficult(read impossible)to find new. Regular maintenance items like brake parts, suspension (front & rear), chain, sprokets etc, can be purchased new in most Yamaha dealers.

Cosmetic part that break often like mirrors and flashers can also be purchased new.

Some parts however, you’d be stuck having to remove them from a wrecked bike.

If your oil pump fails for example, you will not find a new replacement. For a while we thought trapjaw’s pump was down and the only pump we found at the time was from MJB’s old RZR. He was practically giving it away but one of us would have had to go accross the country to remove it from his bike.

All in all, the parts that are really difficult to find seldom need replaced but it can happen. Regardless, I still think the RZR is a good buy. Inexpensive and quite reliable in general, not to mention it’s faster than most small bikes.

For those interested in a cruiser style bike(Truant), see the buy and sell forum. emilyliz is selling hers and it looks in decent condition.

bobepine