Compatriot permit

Hi. I am a U.S. citizen and Taiwan passport holder. My mother is a full Taiwan citizen. I have never lived in Taiwan, and don’t have a residency rights in TW. I would like to know if I can apply for a compatriot permit/台胞證 as an overseas ROC citizen. Thanks.

If you carry a Taiwanese passport then you are a Taiwanese citizen.
Its not possible to get a passport without obtaining citizenship.
Residency rights for US passport holders are determined by Immigration laws and depend on what you want to do here. Based on this, you can apply for the appropriate landing visa and then the appropriate residence visa.
For any other possible solution I’d suggest you call the NIA: +886 800 024 111 or BOCA: +886 3 393-2628 during Taiwan office hours.

Its not possible to get a passport without obtaining citizenship…[/quote]

Wrong and Wrong. Overseas chinese can have a Taiwan Passport but not be citizens of Taiwan.

I had a Taiwan passport before I became a Taiwan Citizen.

Without an ID card number and hukou the OP cannot apply for the 台胞證 compatriot visa.

I know this engerim as I have been in this situation myself. If the OP uses a US passport to enter Taiwan and even hold an ARC he cannot use that to get a 台胞證.

The OP would have to live here first for 12 months continuously on his Overseas Chinese passport then after that he could apply for his Household registration and ID card.

However if male needs to understand as to whether or not the draft for military service would have to be met.

Thank you satelite. Can you explain further what a hukou is?

Its not possible to get a passport without obtaining citizenship…[/quote]

Wrong and Wrong. Overseas Chinese can have a Taiwan Passport but not be citizens of Taiwan.
[/quote]
So you’d be stateless? Whats your definition of citizen? Or do you mean “not be residents of Taiwan”?
Does that passport give them the right to stay here? I know a lot of Israeli’s who have a German Passport (which gives them the right to stay in Germany) but who are not residents of Germany (citizens they are however).

[quote=“engerim”]So you’d be stateless? Whats your definition of citizen? Or do you mean “not be residents of Taiwan”?
Does that passport give them the right to stay here? [/quote]

Yes an overseas Chinese passport holder is stateless until they have lived here to meet the residential requirement to get the househuld registration and ID. They can stay here on their overseas passport.

I have done this.

Cope,

If you are ABC and less than 20 yrs old, your mom can apply for residence permit for you, even from US with TECO, but she would need her hukou (household registration). With that, you can enter TW on your TW passport (with appropriate entrance permit) and then turn your residence permit in at the hukou office for a TW ID. It’s pretty quick. I got a residence permit for my ABC daughter in about 2 weeks after she entered TW (you can also do it before). There are quite a few hoops though, med exams, etc. Get someone who reads Chinese to look up all this for you at immigration.gov.tw/ Don’t trust the English version. I got burned relying on the English version… it is too simple and catered to true foreigners.

If you are more than 20 yrs old, then you must meet the residency requirements. It is also on the website.

Once you have the ID then you can trade your ID#less passport in for a real TW passport and apply for a compatriot card. If all you are eyeing is the cheaper accomodations for a China vacation from the U.S., this is not worth the trouble b/c you also have to watch out for conscription issues, even now as I understand there is some issue. If you want to live and work in China, then it is a different matter. As I understand there are additional benefits with the compatriot card.

Good luck.

It sounds like the OP is over 20, so a year here may not be an option, especially with males needing to complete military service if under 35 years old.

As for living and working in China, yes you get the 5 year TBZ and can apply for a one year period of stay visa.

However you still need a work permit if staying there to work. I have been working in China this eyar already for about 3 months and longest stretch was 10 weeks straight.

I have an apartment and register with the Police, if you don’t large fines can be applied.

When you enter China with 台胞證, do you need to present your Taiwan national ID also?

NO. Thats not allowed.

Your Taiwan ID is NOT recognized in China. So if you try and turn up at a hotel, or takea domestic flight and show your Taiwan ID they will refuse to look at it.

You carry the 台胞證 when in China.

thank you cshu, and satelite