Competent bakeries / bread in Kaohsiung: where art thou?

In another Kaohsiung cuisine thread, the topic of locating simple, competent bread came up.

Here’s a thread for forumosans to list specific places in Kaohsiung where such bread is available. Note to would-be posters: be specific! We will not tolerate claims like “I heard some guy who is good at baking came from Kaohsiung” or things like that. Nor will we tolerate photos of enticingly delicious looking bread from the Baltic states. :joy:

Please stick to Kaohsiung. Name names; name shops; name restaurants and cafes if they are doing good work with bread. There’s no need to name the bad ones, as this unfortunately currently appears to be the norm.

Guy

3 Likes

This is going to be a short list still I’m eager to see some suggestions.

5 Likes

Maybe try grovbrødhuset, near the Ami place I went to yesterday (The place you know). Has Nordic breads like in the Baltics, small sit down place has coffee/hot drinks.
EU Pantry, but I have not been there recently and its more a small market than a bakery.
Not many, you have a lot more choices in Taipei

1 Like

This! :joy:

The average Kaohsiung resident’s idea of a good bread is from Flavorfield.

Years ago, there was a German-Austrian bakery in Kaohsiung. I’m not sure if it’s still open or has permanently closed.

Maybe the Flavorfield stores in Kaohsiung differ and I’ve only been to the one in the basement of Sogo at Zhongxiao Fuxing in Taipei, but at that one they do a low-temperature-fermented almost-baguette thing that’s really good IMO.

I think it’s the best bread I’ve bought in Taiwan actually (though the list is quite short because I usually bake it myself), and I sometimes go out of my way to buy it if I’m in that general area. I’ve never tried the dozens of other weird Taiwanese bread-like products they sell.

Flavorfield IS the best bakery (at least in Kaohsiung), but that’s not saying much!

La sunny kaohsiung

1 Like

Try the low-temperature one if they have it and see what you think. I think it’s great, at least from the Zhongxiao Fuxing store. I’m not sure what they do differently besides the low-temperature fermentation, but I’ve been trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to replicate it at home since I first bought it a couple of months ago.

This is the one I’m talking about:

1 Like

not a bakery, but has The Kaiser roll (aka Vienna roll)

German Kitchen / Deutsche Kuchen

Last time i went there for bread they didn’t have any. No other reason to go, pretty much everything they sell is available cheaper elsewhere

Just saved this to try, I see they’ll open again on Thursday

1 Like

yeah, have not been there recently, Mostly went for the cheese , and yes its expensive.

OK! If you go, post what you think of it? I also want to go, but been out of Taiwan for two weeks.

In Kaohsiung?

No, see here:

Also this one is good, nice French guy running the shop in new location (meet him recently after not seeing him a long time, will have visit his new shop)

Nice looking place! Based on the photos I saw, the bread looks legitimate. Address: No. 12, Fuheng 1st Road, Xinxing District, Kaohsiung City; access point Xinyi Elementary School Station on the KMRT Orange Line.

Guy

This shop seems to sell cookies and cakes. I approve of these things, and eat quite a lot of them, but unfortunately that does not help us to find bread.

Guy

1 Like