Complete Guide to Opening a Rep Office 2011 Update

Haha I’m sure they are dead! I closed my office four years ago so sadly I don’t have the latest info. Hopefully someone will come out with a Rep Office 2017 Update :smiley:

Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks @SNcbz3 and @quanbuidoan for the great resource. I’ve decided to establish a representative office, and completed the necessary steps at the MOEA. However, I encountered some difficulty applying for the work permit at the CLA.

It’s wasn’t entirely clear which application form I should fill out, so I filled out the “B00 Overseas Chinese or Foreign Investment Officer” application.

Today I received a message saying that my application was incomplete. Besides wanting to see a translation of the employment contract and a copy of the company registration, they also wanted me to have something related to investment(請檢附投審會核發之僑外投資事業核准函影本).

I will likely call their office tomorrow to figure out the situation, but if anyone has any insight on what application form should actually be filled out, please let me know. If I do succeed in getting a visa through my rep office, I’ll post a 2018 update :wink:

1 Like

I ended up applying for the “Employment Gold Card” instead of applying for the work permit via the CLA, so I never followed up with them.

The gold card seems like a better choice (if you’re eligible) since it allows you to get a three-year ARC and work permit all at once. The application can also be done entirely online and in English. So it’s probably less hassle than completing steps 2 and 3 above (if 2 is even possible anymore).


If you have a company registered in Hong Kong do you need your incorporation paper to be notarized in Taiwan cultural and economic office in Hong Kong ? Or you can send The incorporation papers and Power of Attorney directly to the MOEA in Taipei?

Hi @zackg

Did u get “Employment Gold Card”? can you please post link to application or update?

I just landed in Taipei, have HK eCommerce startup and want to stay in TW for a while, so looking at options.

Thanks a lot.

Yeah I did end up getting the Employment Gold Card.

You can apply from their page here:

Also more info about it in related thread here: "Employment gold card" for some foreigners

1 Like

Thanks for info, zackg. Looks great.

@zackg does that mean that you got an Employment Gold Card and using your Representative office as the employer?


Actually, I’m not using my rep office as an employer. My company employs me directly, as if I was in the U.S.

Hi Everyone!
I’ve successfully opened my rep. office as of last Oct. 2018, have my work permit, and have setup the bank accounts, health insurance, etc.

Now that it is Jan. 2019, I realized that I need to renew my work permit four months prior to the expiration, which is Oct. 2019. That leaves me with exactly six months to do rep. office activity.

My purpose to as a representative (and this is stated on my employment contract) is to hire workers and/or provide internships to Taiwanese workers. My company is very small and I only have the budget to hire one worker currently. Do you think that this will be enough to prove representative activity for the renewal of the work permit? I usually see talk about providing proof through procurement of products, or negotiating contracts, etc. but hardly anyone saying anything about employing people. Also, if employing people is sufficient, should one employee be enough AND can I employ them part-time or does it have to be full-time?

Lastly, what other types of “activity” is considered proof? My company will be hiring employees and interns to do software development work and other tasks that are related to my company’s service.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you! :smiley:

P.S. I hope you don’t mind but I tagged you because you seem to be quite active on this thread and I want to make sure you see this post. I’m new on this website so my apologies if I didn’t post correctly. @SNcbz3 @quanbuidoan

What was the result of this? Were you successful getting the second work permit for an English teaching job? I’m considering the same thing. Thank you.

They’re very flexible on this. All I needed were a few emails from potential customers and a couple invoices from clients. If all else fails just ask a friend with a Taiwanese company to write you an invoice for something.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. May I PM with you? I don’t know if there is a function here to do it. Thank you.

Can you explain exactly how you justify your “activity” please ?
Do you speak about taiwanese clients invoices ?
Thank you for your help

Thank for this post… I already finished with the step 1. It seems like they care more about the Employment Contract. Does anyone have a sample of the contract? Thanks

Say I set up a rep office in Taiwan and apply for a work permit to hire myself as a rep. Will I be able to get a work visa from overseas, e.g. Canada, and return to Taiwan while its border is still closed?

In the words of the great Dave Mustaine, ‘hello me, it’s me again…’ I’m back and opening another rep office!

Can anyone confirm that English language documents do not need to be submitted to the MOEA with Chinese translations? I seem to recall that being a thing. The official instructions from the MOEA specifically leave out “法人資格證明文件” from the list of items needing to be in Chinese.


Say I set up a rep office in Taiwan and apply for a work permit to hire myself as a rep. Will I be able to get a work visa from overseas, e.g. Canada, and return to Taiwan while its border is still closed?

I doubt this is known. You can certainly have an agent do most of the applications, but getting the actual ARC might require you to be in Taiwan. An agent can apply for the ARC but it requires your passport and possibly a used entry visa. Email the NIA to find out?

I’m actually in Taiwan right now… but my visa will expire at the end of July. I’m not sure if I will have enough time to set up the rep office, apply for work permit…etc. though.

You definitely have enough time if you start now and don’t hesitate :slight_smile: