Complete Guide to Opening a Rep Office 2011 Update

I’m actually in Taiwan right now… but my visa will expire at the end of July. I’m not sure if I will have enough time to set up the rep office, apply for work permit…etc. though.

You definitely have enough time if you start now and don’t hesitate :slight_smile:

I haven’t registered a corporation in Canada yet. I read that you have to get the certificate of incorporation notarized in Canada… so I won’t be able to get everything done while I’m in Taiwan?

Thanks!

Does anyone have experience about paying NHI and labor insurance through rep. office? I am self-employed and I am working alone right now. I just switched from student ARC to working ARC through my rep office. What are the steps in the application process of Labor insurance and how much does it cost per month? Is Labor Insurance a compulsory requirement in my case? I am having NHI by being student here but the school was paying it for me. So going to one of NHI branch and update my billing address will be enough I think… Thanks

My experience was you can get away with not signing up for either of these. If you do want to sign up, probably just go for NHI. Note that if you don’t sign up right away, you’ll have to pay retroactively from the start of your ARC validity (or work permit? not sure). Not sure what labor insurance is really worth. NHI will cost $$$ tho, probably NT$2000 per month or more.

1 Like

Thanks. I will go for NHI then

Does anyone know if the certificate of incorporation need to be legalized by TECO of the country where the foreign company is incorporated?

I looked at the list of required docs (couldn’t find an English version of the list) on the MOEA website and it doesn’t say anything about legalization, unless the foreign company is a Chinese company?

附註:

1. 法人資格證明文件需為本公司所在地之公司登記主管機關出具。
  2. 陸資之外國公司其本公司所營事業,應有符合開放項目正面表列者,並須檢附外 國公司本國所營事業證明文件(須經驗證),其登載於報備表之在中華民國境內 業務上之法律行為並應以開放項目正面表列之法律行為為限。(目的事業主管機
    關另有規定者,以目的事業主管機關核准者為限。)

I have a different concern. With the current state of border control, is it still possible to get the work permit and thus the visa to come to Taiwan as the representative after opening the rep office? Does anyone here know?

Based on what people wrote here, you can apply for a visa to enter Taiwan as long as you have a work permit.

Typically you can get a resident visa issued once you have a work permit but who knows these days. Your local TECO will have ultimate discretion so maybe give them a call. Are they issuing visas? And if you have a resident visa, will Taiwan let you enter the country?

Which parts are the most difficult? I plan to set up my rep office in a couple of months.

I have a question re: setting up a rep office in Taiwan. Can I set up a rep office say this month (August) and don’t apply for a work permit until early October because the rep won’t start working as a rep until later this year? Or do I have to apply for a work permit for the rep as soon as the rep office is set up?

Thanks in advance for your input.

You don’t have to apply for the work permit right away - two months is a short time.

1 Like

Thanks!! May I ask one more question… do I have to open a bank account for rep office? Or can I just open a bank account for the rep?

Hey! Im currently looking for a cheap place to rent for my representative office. Anyone that have suggestions?

My best alternative right now is to setup through a co-working space that will charge 6000 TWD per / month (3 months upfront, 1 year minimum).

1 Like

No bank account needed, I think.

Lots of places will do it for around 2000nt/month. Look on 591.com.tw for 辦公室分租 or 公司登記, sort for places under 3000 or whatever. Lots of places offer this service.

Thanks, Lee. I asked because you had this in the Tax Matters section of your guide: This is actually very straightforward, and you have to do it or else you will not be able to extend your ARC, and could face trouble at the border.

That is related to declaring personal income taxes. That doesn’t directly involve a bank account at any point. You just go declare how much income was paid by the rep office in January, and then in May you go file personal income tax based on that. Setting up a bank account is certainly fine if you want to though. Just a bunch of extra steps but nothing difficult.

Got it! I probably don’t need a bank account for the rep office, but I might open a personal account. Thanks!