Complete Guide to Opening a Rep Office 2011 Update

I don’t think I had an option, but if they give you one by all means apply for as long as you can.

2 Likes

Only when renewing.

1 Like

Hi, If anybody would like to know, I have just now finalized my rep.office set up, work permit and visa. I could give the run down if anybody is interested. Very simple to complete.

4 Likes

I’m waiting for my rep office approval doc. Next step is to apply for my work permit. Would like to hear about your experience. Thanks.

Yes, please, it would be great if you can share your process!

Hi RBE,

I just found out that I’m in the same situation as you… I received a letter today saying that I have to submit proof of capital for my rep office. Did you/your girlfriend just call the person whose name was on the letter to sort this out? Or did you have to call some other numbers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

@Shaozhi You could try calling that person but what worked for me was calling the WDA headquarters in New Taipei City. When my girlfriend explained the situation and asked why a rep office was being asked to provide capital documentation when the law clearly states that this is not the requirement, they were confused and said they’d look into it and call back. Next thing we knew we were getting a call from the person on the letter, who promptly rectified the situation.

Good luck. It’s really a shame that this is happening.

1 Like

Hi RBE,

Do you happen to have the number you called? I just found the main number for the Ministry of Labor… was that the number you called? Thanks.

I believe it was the 886-2-8995-6000 number.

Thanks! I’ll try to talk to them and if I can’t get them to understand the situation, I’ll ask my local friends to call again.

:+1:

I think having a native speaker/local helped tremendously.

Oh one more question(sorry)… did your girlfriend have to ask for a specific department or person when she called HQ?

I’m not sure/don’t think so. I think she just explained the situation and was transferred to someone accordingly.

1 Like

Got it! Thanks very much. Hopefully I can sort this thing out quickly. This is frustrating.

1 Like

Does anyone know what documents and forms are required for my rep office to apply for NHI (for me as a rep)? Thanks very much.

You’ll probably need a 全民健康保險投保單位成立申報表 to register the company as an insured unit, and then a 全民健康保險保險對象投保申報表 to add yourself. Let me know if you have trouble finding them and I’ll try and get the links.

So you got everything worked out with the WDA? Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing how you resolved it? Might be helpful to others who ran into the issue we did.

Question: to be posted to Taiwan as an expat, does the US employer company need to open a representative office? If so, the expat pays Taiwan personal tax but the company does not pay Taiwan corporate tax? Thanks for considering.

The foreign company of a representative office does not pay tax in Taiwan. The representative office itself is very limited in what it is legally permitted to do in Taiwan. It can do bidding, get quotes, etc. but it is not allowed to engage in sales, for instance.

Before setting up a representative office, a foreign company should make sure that it is an appropriate structure. Other structures, such as a branch office, might be more suitable.

2 Likes

Thanks, @fifieldt. In case anyone needs these forms, they are here: https://www.nhi.gov.tw/Content_List.aspx?n=9BC48536CE1E978C&topn=1E1039BE19C4DCAC

I’m a bit confused about the required documents (please see below). I’m not sure which one(s) is applicable to a rep office… #5? And all I need is the documents from MOEA? Thanks.

二、除政府機關、公立學校、農田水利會及公營事業的投保單位外,應檢附下列證件:
(一)負責人國民身分證正、背面影本。
(二)下列相關證件影本:
1.公司、行號應檢附公司登記證明文件或商業登記證明文件。
2.專門職業及技術人員自行執業者之投保單位,應檢附主管機關核發之專業證照及執業執照或開業執照(證書)。國稅局核發之扣繳單位設立登記申請書(統一編號編配通
知書)。
3.外籍監護工之投保單位應檢附勞動部核准函及該外籍員工之外僑居留證(或外國員工僱用名冊)。
4.以雇主為投保單位者(如幫傭、褓姆及私人僱用人員等),雇主應檢附僱用契約書或證明文件。
5.其他投保單位應檢附目的事業主管機關核發的執業證照或有關登記、核定或備查證明文件。

2 Likes