Complete idiot - please help!

I have 2 questions (I know b-all about computers, okay?) :

1 : I have a CD burner, but the burned CD’s don’t play on my Discman. It says “NO DISC” - the CD’s do play on my computer. What am I doing wrong?

2 : I am leaving soon and I have been told to take out the components and just replace the “box” when I get home. Is that a good idea?

Any solutions?

I’ve had this happen before. Just depends on the specs and quality of the CD player you are using. But to make sure, are you sure you’re making a music CD? Or are you making a PC formatted disk with MP3s on it? Assuming you are doing the former, try using it in other CD players. If you find it works, then you know your player is just not up to snuff. I don’t know the technical reasons for this, but know that my discs work on some and on others don’t.

My discman won’t play burns but the CD player in the car has no such problems with the same discs.

1). You haven’t mentioned what software you use to burn.

When burning, choose Audio files as in cd audio files ( *.CDA extension)

If you choose data files, as in mpeg layer 3 (*.mp3 extension) you can’t play them on older systems but in some newer models esp. car systems you can.

Also, older players are incompatible with CD-Rs. They just don’t play 'em.

And CD-RWs are a no go too.

2).If you have a big rig, maybe, but it’s a pain tearing and building it again. If you’ve a small tower, then probably not worth it.

2 : I am leaving soon and I have been told to take out the components and just replace the “box” when I get home. Is that a good idea?

Why? Unless transport (size and weight) is an issue, say if you intend to hand carry.
If you ship then why not pack the whole lot into the crate?