Completed my BA but have no Certificate... help!

Hi there,

I completed my Bachelor of Arts in June 2009, however I have not attended my capping ceremony and therefore do not have my graduation certificate as of yet.
I can however, apply for an official letter which will confirm that I am eligible for graduation.

Additionally, I have completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Secondary School Teaching (about to attend graduation ceremony in July 30). I WILL receive a graduation certificate for that.

Will I still be able to apply for jobs without my BA certificate? Will official letters count?

Thanks so much for your help.

Get a graduation certificate by any means possible: go to another ceremony, get one sent to you, whatever. You will need that again and again in your career, and No, letters are probably not good enough.

[quote=“lematin”]Hi there,

I completed my Bachelor of Arts in June 2009, however I have not attended my capping ceremony and therefore do not have my graduation certificate as of yet.
I can however, apply for an official letter which will confirm that I am eligible for graduation.

.[/quote]

They should have sent it out unless it was a Khaosan Road variant. :laughing: If I were you, I’d get a hold of your registrar back home to send you the transcripts and degree toute suite!!

Almost a year and you stilll haven’t gotten your certificate.
Sorry but I have to be blunt, ‘‘You’re an idiot。’’

At most universities, if you do not attend the graduation ceremony, they will post the degree certificate to your home address. Usually within 1-2 weeks.

It DOES NOT take almost a year, UNLESS you have been passively sitting through life thinking that you won’t actually need some sort of evidence to prove that you graduated at some point in your life.

Some universities do take that long - my university only allowed graduations in small groups and places get booked up a year or more in advance. I used a transcript and some guanxi in my first job here to get the paperwork done, then updated with the degree certificate once I attended an official graduation (18 months after I finished university). Want to call me an idiot too?

Some universities do take that long - my university only allowed graduations in small groups and places get booked up a year or more in advance. I used a transcript and some guanxi in my first job here to get the paperwork done, then updated with the degree certificate once I attended an official graduation (18 months after I finished university). Want to call me an idiot too?[/quote]
Took around 18 months for me, too. And that was in the late 70s. Some people like to spout off half-cocked when they don’t have the faintest idea what they’re talking about, Taffy. That doesn’t make them idiots… Oh. Wait… yes it does, usually. :laughing:

I got my undergrad in ‘74 and did not attend the ceremony. They mailed the folder and sheepskin to my folks’ home and it arrived in about 3 weeks.
It was in the same town though.
This was in the USA.
It appears that in some smaller less developed countries it might take a bit longer.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I got my undergrad in ‘74 and did not attend the ceremony. They mailed the folder and sheepskin to my folks’ home and it arrived in about 3 weeks.
It was in the same town though.
This was in the USA.
It appears that in some smaller less developed countries it might take a bit longer.[/quote]
Watch it, son. You don’t want us sending any more redcoats over there. We won’t go so easy on you, next time.

To the OP:

Don’t forget to have the thing translated and certified at the nearest TECO office in your home country. The more stamps, the better.

You’d better get the diploma. Official letters will usually be looked upon with suspicion and not accepted, because they’d be pretty easy to fake. Of course, we all know a degree is pretty easy to fake, too, but in Taiwan they’ll want to see the actual degree.

In my experience, attending the ceremony has nothing to do with getting the diploma or certificate. During formal ceremonies, they usually hand you an empty cover and then they send the formal document to you by certified mail.

For MOE approval, you would need that official document and an official set of transcripts. Both of those should be signed and stamped by the university. I don’t think there is any other way, so write a letter to your university asking for official documents.

Get the diploma.

“Back in the day” I knew someone who applied for university jobs with a fake diploma (one that represented a real degree, but for which the University hadn’t gotten around to printing and mailing her the diploma yet) but she had a real diploma for a lower degree from the same university that she used for a model, with a little creative cut-and-paste of the degree title. Actually the signatures on the bottom of the diploma had changed by that time, but even though the “visual aid” was sent to the University in question for verification no one picked up on it. I suspect what they do is simply check whether the name is on the list of people who actually did graduate (which would make sense).

Which then begs the question: why is it necessary to have a fancy diploma in the first place, since Taiwan is going to check? Why not just fill out a form stating which university and which degree? (Yes, I know the answer already. I’m just being rhetorical.)