Components for aluminum shelves?

That’s a very good point! Will give them a call next week. Thanks for pointing that out, sometimes the obvious is ignored lol.

If you cut aluminum with a woodworking bandsaw it will look like crap. Don’t ask how I know. Make sure you use a blade you are about to throw away, it will dull quickly. Also if the aluminum is more than 1/2 inch thick it’s going to get VERY hot… Metalworking bandsaw runs much slower and have flood coolants, they are designed to cut metal.

I don’t know about using carbide tipped circular saw. I think they work better.

But let the suppliers cut it, they have the right tools.

Bandsaws can do a damn fine job on al- use an appropriate blade, stick lube (and / or a few squirt of coolant), and turn the speed down (or use the lowest speed pulley setup) if available on your saw. He’s talking about a few sticks of extrusion, not a production shop. (I’ve done dozens of cuts of 80/20 on a battery powered contractor grade miter saw, with a wood blade. I think I used wd40. Didn’t even need a recharge. This appears to be around the amount of cutting being discussed )

Yea that’s why I said I’m not sure how carbide tipped circular saw blade will look like, but cut on woodworking bandsaw looks like crap. And wood bandsaw do not have speed settings, it has one very fast speed.

But just order the length you need and they will cut it for you, because they are not going to ship 3 meter long segments of extrusion.

your woodworking bandsaw might not have the ability to change speeds, but some do.

Here’s a woodworking bandsaw.at work on a block of al,.at woodworking speeds, not looking like crap:

A small discussion, including multiple people discussing using the lower speed on their wood bandsaws for al (and others not bothering):

al largely cuts like hard wood. not difficult to work with.

1 Like

Yea, Lenox Trimaster is a carbide tipped blade, that might give a better finish. They are originally made for cutting metal.

They are also hideously expensive. I ended up getting a carbide bandsaw blade from Taobao, cuts very smooth too. My bandsaw had a 26 inch wheel, and very old school too.

But it’s not relevant to the OP. He should order length that he needs and they will cut it to within 1mm or less.

It’s almost like I mentioned an appropriate blade upfront, but you chimed in with it will be crap on a woodworking bandsaw anyway.

right, but for the wrong reason - he’s said he can cut al. :wink:

2 Likes

Ya, cutting ain’t the problem. Just the specific name of this stuff is making it hard for me to ask. Most manufacturers here don’t really like teaching small time customers and just brush them off.

Even if I couldn’t cut it, there are metal shops everywhere that can cut it. For me, they cut or I, makes no difference to me. Just don’t want to get ghosted due to more requests haha.