Computer bookstores in Taipei

I use the store opposite Burger King near Taipei Main Station, on the way to Hsimenting. Prices are pretty fair and a good stock, but are there other good bookstores for English language computer books in Taipei? I checked out Page One in Taipei 101 but was disappointed by their selection: as if an overseas branch had dumped them with their unsold stock. I think Eslite just stocks Chinese language computer books.

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“aflsc”]I use the store opposite Burger King near Taipei Main Station, on the way to Ximending. Prices are pretty fair and a good stock, but are there other good bookstores for English language computer books in Taipei? I checked out Page One in Taipei 101 but was disappointed by their selection: as if an overseas branch had dumped them with their unsold stock. I think Eslite just stocks Chinese language computer books.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

No, the one you are referring to, Tenlong (Tianlong), is the best in Taiwan. Their books are OK and pretty current, but some of their software is a bit out of date (they were still selling FreeBSD 5.0 last time I checked - it was state-of-the art three years ago).

If there is something you need and you can’t find it in Tianlong, you’ll have to order online through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or elsewhere.

I don’t know if you realize it, but you can get up to a 10% discount in Tianlong if you have a VIP card (huiyuan ka). All you’ve go to do to get one is ask for it - they don’t charge any kind of VIP membership fee (unlike most stores in Taiwan).

You’re right - the “computer” books at Page One are on the level of “Microsoft Word for Dummies”.

cheers,
DB

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]
No, the one you are referring to, Tenlong (Tianlong), is the best in Taiwan. Their books are OK and pretty current, but some of their software is a bit out of date (they were still selling FreeBSD 5.0 last time I checked - it was state-of-the art three years ago).[/quote]

I’ve been unable to download the just released DVD for Suse 9.2…so I went down to Tenlong today. And they had it! NT300. And it’s installing as I type this… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the confirmation, and news about the VIP card. That makes a lot of titles that I’m borderline on a lot more palatable. Sometimes books go out of stock for a couple of weeks, so it would be nice to know alternatives, but I don’t have much to complain about.