Computer geeks needed....I got a weird PPPOE problem

I wrote about this on a nerd forum…they didn’t help (nerds aren’t what they used to be).

So I thought I’d give you guys a go at it…any help would be appreciated.

The gist of it is. My computer won’t start any CD game if I’m connected to the internet. I can connect after…just not before I click on the exe shortcut.

It worked fine at the shop…but they don’t use PPPOE. But how does my using PPPOE I.P. stop me from playing game CDs???

Taken from my other thread:

[quote]edit> old title said Stronghold 2 freezes my comp…but now I realize it’s EVERY game.

I got the game Stronghold 2 Delux…when I start it up it plays fine, but after a few minutes it gets…jerky. Then even if I switch to another game…it will also be jerky.

I’m guessing I have to flush my RAM or something?

Another odd thing about the game Stronghold 2…it won’t work if my internet connection is on…under the Windows Task Manager it will use 50% of my CPU…indefinately, and do nothing. If I turn off my internet connection…then it starts up fine. I’m guessing it’s auto-update thingy is bugged.

Ideas ?[/quote]

[quote]Ok, I just switched optical drives. The auto play started the window with the uninstall, play…etc, options. I chose “play” and same thing…nothing.

I’ve run ad-aware. My comp is only a week old and I haven’t downloaded much or surfed the net much either (it’s a gaming rig).

OK THINGS JUST GOT WEIRDER .I just had to reset my computer. The begining of this post I copied and pasted onto text.doc so I could continue where I left off.

Due to my attempt at running FEAR with my internet on. After I wrote “it’s a gaming rig”…the connection window popped up asking me to connecet to the internet…which I already am. I clicked on connect and it disconnected me. And everytime I would click on my connection shortcut the connecting window would flash open for about 1/4 of a second…and that’s it. The symbols in the corner showed I was connected, but I couldn’t open any internet pages (like reply in this forum for example). I tried to “log off” but it just froze there and I had to hit reset.

My RAM isn’t listed in my mobo manual…it’s ummm…can’t find the boxes for it…I think I left them at the shop…darn. It’s kingston…two 1gb sticks.

Two other threads that are/might be relevant to this are: forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=104357 and hmmm can’t find the other one. There was a thread someone else started who also had a failing Nividia network drive. Maybe I should try switching to the Marvell network card and see if all the problems go away.[/quote]

[quote]Got some more info. I took it to the shop. They updated some network drivers, but they didn’t check the games first. After when they tried a game while on the net it worked fine.

I noticed that their I.P. isn’t PPPOE…they mentioned this might have something to do with it. I mentioned that I have two other computers that have no problems. They just shrugged.

My mobo has two network cards…and I didn’t know you could just plug your modem into either one and the comp would know. They told me this…so I thought “If I still have the problem I’ll just hook it up to my mobo’s other network card”. Plus, they give me another…just in case.

So I go home and hook up the nvidia card first…game doesn’t work. I hook it up to the mobo’s Marvell card…no go. I hook it up to the D-Link card they gave me…game won’t start. Keep in mind if I want the game to start I just have to disconnect from the internet…then it starts normal.

Also after the game is started I can connect no problem. It’s just during the initial starting…and evidently only from my house…or on a PPPOE connection.

So do I just phone my I.P. and tell them I want a “fixed” connection…or what? Mind you I’d rather just SOLVE the problem…as opposed to finding a “work around”.[/quote]

is it a original game disk?

They are orignials. If it was just one…I’d think it was the game…so far it’s the first two discs I’ve tried. Which are brand new. I’ll install one on my other comp right now…and see what happens.

What OS are you running, if XP then you do not need PPPOE installed as it is built in, in this case you could uninstall PPPOE and by all accounts you games will run correctly.

Has the PPPOE driver you are running come from the ADSL provider, if so often they have modified them slightly, this could be the cause also.

Yeah, I need to correct myself. I just tried one of my new games and it wouldn’t work on my other comps either. Did the same thing after install. It freezed on exe…but only if connected to the net. So weird. I’ve never seen this problem before and now I buy two new games and they both have it on all my comps. So weird.

All my comps are PPPOE so I’ll try following Travellers advice.

Uhh, how would one go about turning the PPPOE off?

i have experienced problems with the english version of the hinet ppoe app. installer. it freezes some computers for a few minutes (all .exe’s cant be ran) and takes a huge cpu load. are u using that app?

I have experienced problems with the English version of the hinet ppoe app. installer. it freezes some computers for a few minutes (all .exe’s can’t be ran) and takes a huge cpu load. are u using that app?[/quote]

I’m using Hinet…yes…and that sounds like my problem. Odd I’ve never seen it before now though.

Mordeth

You did not clarify as to what OS you are using.

To remove the hinet PPPoE then go to control panel, add remove programs, click on the hinet PPPoE program and select remove.

Would suggest that you restart the pc afterwards, theorectically not required, but often safer.

To double check the removal, go to control panel, network connections, right click on the correct connection, select properties, PPPoE as a servcie should no longer be visible.

Test connection by accessing the internet, you may have to reset the login and password, not sure what kind of router/connector you are using.

Assuming you can connect, try opening the games up again and see what happens.

[quote=“Traveller”]Mordeth

You did not clarify as to what OS you are using.

To remove the hinet PPPoE then go to control panel, add remove programs, click on the hinet PPPoE program and select remove.

Would suggest that you restart the pc afterwards, theorectically not required, but often safer.

To double check the removal, go to control panel, network connections, right click on the correct connection, select properties, PPPoE as a servcie should no longer be visible.

Test connection by accessing the internet, you may have to reset the login and password, not sure what kind of router/connector you are using.

Assuming you can connect, try opening the games up again and see what happens.[/quote]

Sorry.

I’m using XP home sp2. I’m using a modem that was given to me by the install guy…it has slots for up to 4 computers. I have a hub, but he said I don’t need it as the ADSL modem has multiple slots. I have 2 meg download with 256 upload.

D’oh…I’m not using any installed PPPOE program…which means I’m already using Window’s PPPOE…hmm.

The games that won’t work so far (and the only two I’ve tried) are F.E.A.R. and Stronghold 2 delux.

Hmm, I just started up Civ 4 while on the net…no problems with it.

Both Stronghold 2 and F.E.A.R. have an auto-update program. But why would they work fine at the shop…and not work with a dynamic I.P. addresse (PPPOE)?

[quote]To remove the hinet PPPoE then go to control panel, add remove programs, click on the hinet PPPoE program and select remove.

Would suggest that you restart the pc afterwards, theorectically not required, but often safer. [/quote]

mordeth, if you are experiencing the exact problem as i had on some computers, forget about wasting your time installing/reinstalling the hinet app! the app is either buggy or victim of some kind of driver conflict. it simply wont work. reinstalling xp wont help either. give it a try if you want…

the only way i got things to work was to remove anything related to hinet dialler and let a router (NOT the adsl modem) establish the connection with user name and pass.