Computer Reformat/Reinstall Service

What kind of price would be appropriate for OS Reinstall Service?

• 1000 NT per hour
  • 2000 NT per hour
  • 3000 NT per hour
  • 4000 NT per hour

0 voters

If I were to offer computer reformat/reinstall service.
What kind of price would you be willing to pay appropriate should somebody charge for the service?

Service include

1. Data backup and recovery(Email addie, favorites, emails)
  2. Win2k/Xp fresh install of Chinese or English version (from your CD)
  3. Office 2k/xp install (from your CD)
  4. Other Application and Tools (Graphic, Audio Video, etc)
  5. Dictionaries (Chinese, English, French, Spanish, Italian. German, Japanese) install.
  6. ADSL connection setup
  7. Printer and Scanner setup.

ax

Are you actually thinking of offering such a service, because I might take you up on it.

Your poll choices aren’t clear. You have 100NT an hour, but the other options don’t say per hour. I saw 1000NT, and I thought ‘that sounds fair’ but if it’s 1000NT per hour, it would depend on how long it would take. How long would it be likely to take? I don’t have a clue, so I’d be happier paying a flat rate.

Brian

I was thinking of NT$ 1000 flat rate or if charged by the hour, NT$ 100. It will usually take 3 to 5 hours depending on situation.

ax

How is it possible that anyone owning a computer is incapable of reinstalling Windows? What could be so difficult about following a few simple instructions? Do you guys need a butler to help you attire in the mornings?

I don’t think this people need an “INSULT”, they need help. Of course, installing win2k is a piece of cake for computer guy like us. But for the layman, they might be completely in the dark.

ax

[quote]I don’t think this people need an “INSULT”, they need help. Of course, installing win2k is a piece of cake for computer guy like us. But for the layman, they might be completely in the dark.

[/quote]

I wouldn’t call myself a computer guy, but I’m capable of putting a CD in a drive and following the instructions. And after reinstalling my OS the first time I learned how to backup my data before ever doing it again. Piece of cake.

A few months ago my school’s in-house computer guy managed to delete my browser profile - including email, addresses, and bookmarks - despite me specifically asking him to make sure he didn’t. I’m not implying that you would do such a thing, but I do believe that relying on someone else to perform simple tasks for you is asking for trouble.

It’s a bit like (to use the example above) leaving the house with your shoes on the wrong feet because you have to rely on a butler who is having a bad day.

Why not offer to teach people how to do basic stuff like defragging and backing up on a regular basis, and how to re-install, so that they a) reduce the chances of a disaster, and b) turn a disaster into a minor inconvenience? That’s probably worth more money to most people than just calling in a witch doctor.

Now if you could fix hardware for NT$100/hr then I’d probably invite you around for the day…

Er Monkey, that would be my valet.

I agree with that computer user should learn a bit or two on how to maintain the computer one owns. Usually, during the time, I reinstall my friend’s compo, I always try to share with them how to do this and that so to prevent looming disaster. The usual response was “Papa don’t preach!”

ax

Jesus Monkey, don’t be a prick. Those simple instructions are in Chinese. Anyway, I don’t know whether or how I have to back up my data first. I don’t know (or care) which port I should use or whatever. I don’t care OK. I don’t even like computers, I just want to use it to do the things I want to do. I don’t want to piss about with how the computer actually works. It doesn’t interest me. I own a toilet and I don’t know about plumbing. If it’s broken or I want to install a bidet, I’ll get a plumber in. If I want to reformat my hard-drive and set up a new OS (fuck I don’t even really know what reformatting is, or if I have to do it), I’ll call a computer guy. And iff I need help getting dressed in the morning (which I don’t) I’ll get a valet, not a butler.

Brian

1000NT an hour is more like it I say. If they’re not willing to pay, don’t waste your time (or theirs).

Where’s the ‘any’ key? I’m confused.

Hoo boy do some people get touchy over this subject! I consider installing software part of using it. That’s certainly the case for home computers. Installing Windows isn’t rocket science, even if it is a Chinese version.
Oh well, I’m off to buy a new car because my current one’s out of gas.

I agree with monkey. But if people are willing to pay, CHARGE! I thought about it some more, no less than 2000NT/hour :smiley:

Despite thinking that this is the sort of thing you should learn how to do if you’re going to own a computer, I don’t see why you should save them if they’re too lazy to do so.

I’m with miltownkid on this. You’re offering to provide a skilled service, so get rid of that NT$100 crap, or I’ll start a service shop and take you on full time. Shouldn’t be too hard to make a profit if you’re willing to work for so little.

I’ll be charging as much as the market will bear, on the grounds that no one will have any faith in an ‘expert’ that’s cheaper than next door’s kid.

I duly change the poll to your wishes tmwc :slight_smile:

see if we get a good rate for the service rendered.

ax

I voted $1,000 per hour. But is that on site or at your place?

As a frequent reinstaller Ican say that a lot of the time it takes to do this job consists of waiting.
I always feel guilty about charging for waiting.

Anyway, I’d like to do the same thing but… for some reason I never seem to be able to back up my outlook express E-mail files.

They seem to always be corrupted when I try to reinstall. So, won’t attempt it on anyone else’s computer unless I can get some good liability insurance.

If it’s appropriate for this space… could you share the best way to back up outlook express E-mails to CD for easy access later?

As a frequent reinstaller Ican say that a lot of the time it takes to do this job consists of waiting.

Anyway, I’d like to do the same thing but… for some reason I never seem to be able to back up my outlook express E-mail files.

They seem to always be corrupted when I try to reinstall. So, won’t attempt it on anyone else’s computer unless I can get some good liability insurance.

If it’s appropriate for this space… could you share the best way to back up outlook express E-mails to CD for easy access later?

As a frequent reinstaller I can say that a lot of the time it takes to do this job consists of waiting.

twstud,

Don’t underestimate the waiting time. Sometimes if you don’t wait your computer during install, some messages might just pop up and you just ignored it. Or you’re computer keep going on the same phase of installation because it keeps rebooting from CD. (case on installing win2k server)

There is not solid way to backup Outlook express (OE) email but I’ve done many without any corruption though. You can copy/move all the folder of OE your *.dbx files to D drive. Later on after you finish reinstallation, open your OE and import all this dbx back on to your OE. If you have tons of emails, this might take a while.

I collect dictionaries. I have English-Dutch bilingual dico, Chinese Dico, French, spanish, italian, german, english crosslingual dico, Indonesian English bilingual, Japanese-english bilingual. If you have other language pairs you can share with me:)

ax