Computer screen truning pinkish

My computer screen has turned pink and ugly, a strange glow, destroying my internet surfing experience.

What’s wrong, and what will it cost?

Pink is a funny colour for it to turn, are you sure it’s not purple ? Try making sure the cables are plugged in well.

Happened to one of mine once. Lasted about a week and then the monitor went pffffffft. Probably time for a new monitor.

[quote=“sandman”]Happened to one of mine once. Lasted about a week and then the monitor went pffffffft. Probably time for a new monitor.[/quote]I think you misheard that, Pink means it’s about to go poof.

But a blurry glow is not good, might be a good time to look at getting a new one, it would do your eyes a lot of good

No, they are plugged in just fine.

Sandman’s experience… Not good. time to get the LCD screen, I’ve always wanted?

Any other takers?

After 40 minutes use, the screen returns to normal???

Happened 30 seconds ago. My wife reboots it until the color gets right, but I don’t like that.

[quote=“Mr He”]After 40 minutes use, the screen returns to normal???

Happened 30 seconds ago. My wife reboots it until the color gets right, but I don’t like that.[/quote]
Mine too. Those LCD screens are nice.

My computer has that problem now and then, sometimes it even switches rapidly between pink and blue. It’s definitely the cable. It may be plugged in properly yet still not quite getting the connection it needs… try wiggling it a bit?

As for BFM: nice gay joke. I do enjoy a good homo poke now and then. :unamused:

:laughing:

This happened to my old one a lot, I just banged on the side of it until it got back to normal. Seemed worse in the cold weather for some reason.

My old monitor started doing the same thing before it eventually died. Being an electrical engineer, I thought I might be able to fix it. My brother, also an EE with lots of TV/monitor experience, started talking about high-voltage caps, etc. (nonsense to a microprocessor nut like me) so I decided to replace it. Towards the end, the screen would sometimes shrink to a small dot. Giving it a smack on the side would bring it back temporarily. Has something to do with the high-voltage capacitors not charging the vertical/horizontal hold. The HV caps are usually the first to go, often with a sizzling sound as a warning. They also make it somewhat risky to work on the monitor, knowing that you have high voltage stored up waiting to zap a misguided screwdriver. LCD is the way to go now!

Have you tried degaussing it? There should be either a button on your monitor, or an option within your on-screen adjustments, which will do it. Might be marked with a little “horseshoe magnet” icon (that’s what mine shows).

If the stains are just at one side you might have something too close to the monitor which generates a magnetic field, a loudspeaker for example. Move it away.

Else I would also think it’s a cable problem or an internal fault. How old is that monitor?
If it’s really old you might consider replacing it, try another one first (if you have one at hand) to narrow down or confirm the fault.

It’s one year old. I just tried to degauss it. No luck.

Thankd anyway. Bette rchange it.

A year isn’t much, it should last longer. But at least you got an excuse now for that LCD screen you desire, so go for it … :smiley:

Well, I need a working screen, that’s for sure.

So it can be the screen, it can also be the picture card?

I think the best advice you are going to receive has already been given. Try troubleshooting and connect another monitor to your computer. If it works, then most likely your original monitor is busted.

By the way, the same thing happened to my mother about 4 years ago, and her monitor died within a week. Oh yeah, my old roommate also had the same problem.

Monitors are dirt cheap. Just try troubleshooting instead of relying on a bunch of people who can’t even see your computer monitor.

Sound advice, thanks.

I’ll lend a monitor from someone.

Yes, putting a magnetic field, ie speakers too close to your crt will give it funky colours… warning: don’t buy crt monitors with built in speakers!

Good choice to go out and buy that TFT-LCD… according to the rumor in the industry, the material that makes up the view screens for LCDs are running low/out so the price on anything requiring an LCD is goning to skyrocket soon!!! (monitors, laptops, digicams etc etc)

My speakers are next to the screen. Any way I can repair it by pulling a magnet back an forth in front of it?