Computer won't recognize external hard drive

Does that hub mean I can attach more than one device (e.g., flash memory stick, CD ROM burner and one external drive) all through the same USB port and use them simultaneously?

Any idea what those hubs run? ($)

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Does that hub mean I can attach more than one device (e.g., flash memory stick, CD ROM burner and one external drive) all through the same USB port and use them simultaneously?[/quote]Exactly correct.

[quote]Any idea what those hubs run? ($)[/quote]A couple of hundred at a guess ? Here’s some But when you go shopping make sure it comes with a power supply.

Awesome! Thanks much! :notworthy:

For a powered one? A bit more, I would reckon. An make sure it IS powered (you’ll know cos there’s an AC adaptor with it), and that it’s USB 2.0 (though you’d be hard pressed to get a 1.1 one these days anyway).

Thanks again guys! I got a 480 Mps 4-port powered 2.0 hub for a mere $250 at Guanghua, and it did the trick. :notworthy:

Cool. I guess BFM was right about the price.

Does that affect the performance? I have an unpowered one and it seems to work fine… :idunno: what’s the deal?

Does that affect the performance? I have an unpowered one and it seems to work fine… :idunno: what’s the deal?[/quote]

I hope you’ve read all of this thread, mister!

Some devices need more power than your USB port can give it. Most of those come with their own power supply, like an external DVD burner, for example.

The problem with some products is that they don’t need an external power supply because MOST USB ports can supply enough power. The problem comes when you have one of those products mixed with a USB port that just can’t quite handle it. In this case (like DB’s) a powered USB hub is the solution.

For most small USB devices, you usually don’t need a powered USB hub.