Computer won't recognize external hard drive

Sorry mods, could you pls merge this with should [/i]have posted it in? :blush:

I bought a 100GB Toshiba Disk Drive MK1032GAX to connect externally via USB ports and can’t get the computer to recognize it. I put the miniature CD that came with it into the computer to see if there was some kind of software needed, but it contained a whole bunch of folders and I couldn’t see which folder or file was relevant.

I tried Control Panel > Add Hardware, but no luck.

I tried going to the Toshiba webpage for drivers for this product name, but the driver provided there said [quote]Install application and DOS device driver for ALL TOSHIBA ATAPI [color=blue]CD/DVD-ROM [/color]drives.[/quote] Mine is a hard disk drive, not a CD/DVD-ROM.

I’m so confused! I’m an idiot when it comes to hardware like this. What would you suggest I do next? :help:

ahem search function ahem

cough Windows version ? *splutter"

clears throat [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … highlight=](External Hard Drive installation question

You should get that looked at, Stu. I think it’s catching sneeze

Sorry about not putting this in the other thread; I figured each case would be different, but I guess I should have tacked this on over there.

After rereading that thread [color=red]I do now see (thanks to Andre) that right-clicking on the unallocated section (how user-unfriendly can you friggin’ get, Billzeebub?) leads me to the right interface for setting up and formatting a new partition. [/color] I’ve managed to finish the task successfully now.

cough you’re welcome cough

Thanks for the coughing!

[color=cyan]

(and the link)
[/color]

Ok, so I’ve transported this to my 2nd office, plugged it into an identical computer, and it gets recognized for a little while, then the computer stops recognizing it. I unplug it, plug it back in a couple times, and it gets recognized again. For a while. What gives? This is a 2.5" drive in a shirt-pocket-sized aluminum case. I’ve wiggled the connectors to make sure they’re firmly seated and all that. :s

I’ve had very bad luck with external hard drives, and bought a name-brand Toshiba in the hopes it would be stable.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Ok, so I’ve transported this to my 2nd office, plugged it into an identical computer, and it gets recognized for a little while, then the computer stops recognizing it. I unplug it, plug it back in a couple times, and it gets recognized again. For a while. What gives? This is a 2.5" drive in a shirt-pocket-sized aluminum case. I’ve wiggled the connectors to make sure they’re firmly seated and all that. :s

I’ve had very bad luck with external hard drives, and bought a name-brand Toshiba in the hopes it would be stable.[/quote]

Hmm… OK, is this one Windows XP?

Yeah, exactly the same system as the other computer on which it was formatted yesterday: Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2. I actually typed that the first time, but the posting failed (lots of glitches opening pages recently) and I forgot it when I retyped the message. :blush:

I’m suspecting the connector in the external HD casing. :idunno:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Yeah, exactly the same system as the other computer on which it was formatted yesterday: Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2. I actually typed that the first time, but the posting failed (lots of glitches opening pages recently) and I forgot it when I retyped the message. :blush:

I’m suspecting the connector in the external HD casing. :idunno:[/quote]

Actually I’ve had this exact same problem before too (with a microdrive). It is detected fine, stays connected for several minutes and then… it’s just not there anymore. And if you’ve been copying something, you suddently get a message saying the file doesn’t exist, or something similar.

Now how did I fix that??? Give me a moment. (I doubt it’s the connectors, btw.)

[quote=“irishstu”]Now how did I fix that??? Give me a moment. (I doubt it’s the connectors, btw.)[/quote]Powered USB v unpowered USB ?

This has two USB connectors, and no other power supply btw.

Beat me to it.
DB, it could be that this computer cannot provide enough power, in which case you should use that other USB connector to connect a power supply (you can get an AC to USB adaptor for like 100NT at the computer market).

This may or may not be the cause of your problem though.

(I assume you meant there are 2 USB connectors on the external case, right?)

I mean the cord from the ext’l HD case ends in a Y with two USB heads, from which I assumed that it has to have both connected to provide enough power. I’ve done this at office 1, where I formatted the drive, and so far it appears stable. At office 2, it was unstable. At home, my notebook has 3 USB ports in back but 2 of them are damaged (no idea how), so I can’t connect this drive at home. The AC to USB fix will probably be a lot cheaper than replacing those ports – thanks for that tip! I’ll try that and see if stability results.

What’s the chance that a particular USB port on office 2’s computer provides an unstable DC supply? Is that a common problem?

Thanks again for all the help! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I mean the cord from the ext’l HD case ends in a Y with two USB heads, from which I assumed that it has to have both connected to provide enough power. I’ve done this at office 1, where I formatted the drive, and so far it appears stable. At office 2, it was unstable. At home, my notebook has 3 USB ports in back but 2 of them are damaged (no idea how), so I can’t connect this drive at home. The AC to USB fix will probably be a lot cheaper than replacing those ports – thanks for that tip! I’ll try that and see if stability results.

What’s the chance that a particular USB port on office 2’s computer provides an unstable DC supply? Is that a common problem?

Thanks again for all the help! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hmm… well, hard to tell without seeing it, but a lot is USB ports are either unpowered or of limited powering use, especially on laptops, and also especially on older computers.

The only possible reason I can think of for having 2 plugs is that it needs more power. One thing you could try is to get a powered USB hub, one with a power supply, and plug it into that.

Is that different from Aunty Iris’s “you can get an AC to USB adaptor for like 100NT at the computer market”? :help:

Is that different from Aunty Iris’s “you can get an AC to USB adaptor for like 100NT at the computer market”? :help:[/quote]

Well it would have the same effect.

Mine is just a power supply that you plug straight into AC, and it has a USB socket on it which supplies the necessary 5v DC.

Matthew’s is a hub (eg 4 USB sockets) that you plug into one of your USB sockets on your computer, but it also plugs into the wall, via an AC adaptor.

If you didn’t have 2 USB connectors on your external box, then you’d have to go with Matthew’s suggestion. Since you have 2, you can choose either option.