Confucius Institutes

Start by reading the thread before you comment on it maybe

I did read the thread, and I would still ask the same question.

Pardon me, sometimes I prefer to play naive so that I may humbly hear another point of view I may not have heard.

I would thus be grateful if you extended some benefit of the doubt and did not rush to presume wilful ignorance.

Espousing virtues is fine and expected. Read @afterspivak’s post again.

1 Like

In your case, I’ll keep the likelihood of feigned ignorance in mind, then

And sheep. And the brainwashed. And the tortured.

1 Like

I did. Edits to his post were happening as I was typing my response. So what I typed about may not reflect what his final post was.

@afterspivak says there are restrictions placed on instruction. I respect him and personally believe he is right, but would like to see more evidence/sources of restrictions being placed on the instruction by CIs.

From what some other posters told me about Chinese “black police stations” in another thread, even if there was no formal policy within CIs to spread CCP propaganda, I suspect all the employees in CIs would toe the party line anyway, out of fear of Big Brother finding out.

I did not address it as factually true because while I may believe it to be the case (based on my impression of the CCP), I can not conclusively say it is so and therefore prefaced it with “even if
”

Finally, I am under no obligation to reply to every point made in another person’s post. Just because I don’t, doesn’t mean I disagree with it or didn’t read his post. In fact it could be just touchĂ© and I have no further argument against it, while playing the Devil’s Advocate.

1 Like

The amount of time you invested in composing that post could have been used in a simple google search to find stories about why CIs are being shut down.

For forumosans who are actually interested in reading some of those stories, they could check out this report discussing the situation in Canada in early 2020.

A nonpaywalled version can be accessed here: https://archive.ph/YP7ws#selection-950.0-994.0

These institutes are a genuine problem for anyone who thinks of education as a process of open inquiry into matters of history, culture, society. They have no place whatsoever in any liberal democracy.

Guy

1 Like

Probably that is something both sides of the spectrum agree on. education has really gone to shit in Canada. It’s a serious problem needing some attention. Much like religion should be expelled from politics, politics should be expelled from schools. With the exception of actual political oriented classes.

1 Like

The Confucius Institute is how I started to learn Chinese. In 2021 I visited my old college campus and learned that they were shutting it down at the end of the semester. Had no idea it had any connection to the PRC government in Beijing back in 2016 when I was taking Chinese classes there.

1 Like
1 Like