Confusion on teaching at a public school

I’m getting conflicting information. I’ve found 2 or 3 agent or info websites that say to teach at a public school one must have a teaching license issued by one’s home country, and this is what I’ve understood since before I came to Taiwan. But I keep hearing recently from an agent here that an APRC/JFRV plus a TESOL/TEFL is sufficient for public schools. Is the agent correct or are they just trying to skip having to apply for a work permit, thereby not telling the government that a non-license holding person is being hired?
Is there a site in English or Chinese that states the law regarding requires qualifications?

the law changed two years ago. before you had to have a teaching license to teach at a public school for the sake of the agency/school sponsoring you for a work permit. Now, the law says that the public school requirement is still the same, but for private elem/jr/sr high you can have a teaching license or aprc/jfrv…the english villages that have popped up around the island used to accept both. your agent probably doesn’t know this or is out right lying… but this year(english village), due to the mass exodus of foriegners due to the utter mess of the management, the gov’t has lost their patience and decided only licensed teachers(i got this right from the horse’s mouth)…although they haven’t changed the managment…i think i saw a thread about the chaotic english village a few months back…

Thanks for the info! Where can I find the relevant laws? Who exactly is the horses mouth you reference.I’m doubting you, I just need something more concrete, preferably in writing.

I found this on the Ministry of Education’s website. Anyone know where I can find the pertinent laws?
http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=11915&ctNode=502&mp=1

Hold on: so the teachers quit because the management was a total mess, and therefore the government has decided to only hire licensed teachers? Teachers that would probably be even more frustrated and more likely to quarrel with inept management? Have I got that right?

What a glorious mismatch between problem and solution. Part of me wants to say “How Taiwanese!”, but of course examples like this can be found worldwide.

PS: I doubt you’ll ever find out exactly how a law is going to be enforced, and I’m 99% sure that anything you get in writing won’t provide any support should the shit hit the fan. No one (especially administrators) knows precisely what’s legal or illegal until somebody suddenly decides to enforce something for a few months.