Connecting to the internet

At the moment I’m using wireless internet, but it comes and goes. I do have an internet plug, and I’ve tried to connect it myself, to no avail. how does one connect to the internet using a cable? By the way, the same company that provides cable TV also provides my internet connection.

[quote=“Rinkals”]At the moment I’m using wireless internet, but it comes and goes. I do have an internet plug, and I’ve tried to connect it myself, to no avail. how does one connect to the internet using a cable? By the way, the same company that provides cable TV also provides my internet connection.[/quote]You apply for the service, they do a bit of extra wiring in your house and rent a cable modem box to you.

There’s three most common ways to connect to the internet in Taiwan which I will list from most to least common:

1. PPPOE - With this one you have a username and password and set up a PPPOE connection on your computer to log in. Your computer will have to login every time you use the connection.

2. DHCP - With this you should just be able to plug in the network cable and your computer will automatically ask for and set its address. You need to make sure that your computer is set to automatically obtain an IP address.

3. Manual - On static IP (your address is always the same) connections, you usually have to set the address information manually to match what your ISP has assigned to you.

Since plugging in the cable didn’t work, you probably have type 1 or 3 connection or the line isn’t activated for service.